SRC/Coho Beach Line

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Alexander, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Media:
    Did a quick search and didn't come up with much...maybe it's my inability, anyway...

I currently fish a floating line, to be honest, I don't even remember what kind of line it is, but it's a solid thick light green fwd section and yellow for the rest of it. Seems like an Outbound type of line or maybe it's the 40+ or some other distance casting line. I don't like fishing it but being that it's my only line I ended up making a heavy sink tip for it and it jacks up my casting in all kinds of manner, and since it seems to me that I do most of my catching when the sink tip is attached (although annoying to use) I thought I'd look into a possible option of a line designed to sink...no more make shift hack job sink tip of my own. I like to throw chunky flies from time to time but it suck to do with the homemade sink tip.

So to my question: What do you mainly use (float, hover, intermediate, sink rate?) for the beach and what's your reasoning behind it?

I have two spools for my reel, so I can keep the floating distance line on one and put some form of sink tip line on the other. My beach rod is a Scott E2 6wt and I like it.

2. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Media:
    probably a rio grand line that you have there 40+ has a funky weld in the middle of the line. I would think the majority of what you'll see being used, and what I would recomend for a floater is an outbound short, or royal wulff ambush if youre into shooting lines (which are killer for steep beaches and windy days) . For intermediate I like the SA streamer express 30 foot clear tip. hope this helps, I'm sure youll get lots of responses, for some reason everyone loves to comment on these threads

3. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    If you are speaking of sea run cutthroat, there are a number of options. First, I fished water for YEARS using a floater WF. Then I started using a sink tip 10' which was a slow sinker. Perfect for waters I fish, but if waters are faster moving you would probably want something that sinks faster such as an intermediate. If you like the Outbound type lines, which I do to some extent, you need a stripping basket usually, especially if it's a intermediate sink. I guess the new "hover" lines work fairly well too.
    Using a floater cuts down on carrying a lot of extra crap. But, a sink tip might get you into more fish at times.

4. Dipnet

Dipnet The wanted posters say Tim Hartman

Just one shop's review:

5. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    Pat,
    Just an FYI, Airflo discontinued the 40+ lines with the black sleeve nearly three years ago. Doing so also eliminated them offering a 40+ with a clear head.
    Hopefully Anil will tell us soon they've remedied that problem.
    SF

6. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

Now I only fish a surface fly so I obviously only use a full floating line. I have gone from WF trout lines to Bonefish tapers and have settled on the Orvis Salt Water All Rounder. Turns over my popper in all conditions and I heartily recommend it if you're throwing wind-resistant flies.

Leland.

Eyejuggler likes this.
  7. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Media:
    Hmmm, my line does not have a black sleeve in the middle, maybe my local fly shop will be able to identify my line. It casts nice as long as I'm don't add my custom sink tip. :). I'm also fond of all the clear lines or at least the fwd section being clear but I've wondered if the end up turning dull/yellowish due to the elements and UV.

8. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Media:
    Leland, it's been a while since I've been around an Orvis shop, when I lived in CO I used to hit the Orvis shop up all the time, good people great products and having just checked out the website and looking at the fly line you recommended I have to note that I love that all the info is printed on the lines! Gee it would be nice if all manufacturers did that! :)

9. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    I've been using Cortland Precision Clear Camo Intermediate (Ty I) for all my SRC and more recently Humpy fishing. Haven't yet tried top water SRC, but all the posts about it has it on my list of go-do's.

10. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:

Thanks for that info Leland. I might give that a go myself.

11. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Media:
    Good to know SF, to me it didn't make sense to have it on a floater anyway. But for the cleartip line it s nice.
    I'm not a huge fan of mono core lines. which is something to look out for in the future Alexander. Lines that have a clear tip also have a monofilament core which is stiffer and casts differently than the same line in a full floater. I prefer the floating line with a intermediate tip attached. The tip will also add weight to your line, so if your rod feels like you might need to upline it to load it properly, then try the 6wt line with a ten foot tip and it might be perfect.

12. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Media:
    Right on! Good to consider

13. Adrian

Adrian Active Member

Rio Outbound Short Cold Saltwater Intermediate Line. If you like to work your cast a bit, double haul and precision casts, go with the Outbound, not the Outbound Short.

14. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Media:
    I use the outbound hover 5wt for almost all my cutthroat and rezzie fishing, (actually worked good for silvers too) I've found it to be almost the perfect sink rate for all but the shallowest, or deeper situations. Gets great distance, and is easy to cast, the color is the only thing I don't care for but doesn't seem to matter to the fish. I sometimes use a outbound floater, and a older clear 40+ I in a boat or if conditions dictate.... Good luck, with all the options out there you should be able to find something that works for you, if you can get over to GHFS you can try some out, good shop/good people...

15. Anil

Anil Active Member

Media:
    Alexander likes this.