SRC Set-up

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by freestoneangler, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Brian White Recovering Bugmeister/Troutlandish?

i'm new to SRC fishing but for what it is worth....sage one 691 with rio grand. i don't love the grand line with it though so i'm tinkering.
  2. Josh Smestad aka Mtnwkr

Bremerton, Wa
    Ratings: +66 / 0
    If the weather is calm I fish a sage flight 5wt with a sage 3850 and a floater. If there's wind I step up to a sage XI3 6wt with the 3850. I fish a floater 99% of the time for sea-run cutthroat and adjust my leader length and fly weight for the conditions(the other 1% is usually when I'm fishing from a boat).
  3. bigdood fishing hack

PDX, OR
    Ratings: +76 / 1
    Was using my Redington Wayfarer 5wt but the wind was killing me so just purchased an Echo Ion 9' 6wt. Will be using some cheapie Wholesale Sports line and put it on an old plastic Cabelas 357 reel. Baller setup, I know, please try and control your jealousy.
  4. Richard Olmstead BigDog

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +684 / 0
    I used to (and still do occasionally) use my 9' 6-wt Sage VPS, but wanted something a bit stiffer and longer for the beaches, so picked up a Sage Fli 9'6" 7-wt a couple years ago when they were discontinued and love it. Reel is a Ross CLR. I've been using either a clear intermediate line, or a Rio multi-tip, although I'm not convinced I have the line thing down for beach fishing. I'm interested in reading what some of you use for lines.
    Dick
  5. formerguide Active Member

Bonney Lake, WA
    Ratings: +720 / 0
    I'm fishing a 590 XP with a floater, just a basic SA WF trout line, and then a TFO 6wt with a RIO clear intermediate Aqualux.

You can punch an intermediate line a mile, and they tend to be thinner per given weight so cut thru the wind well. However, if fish are really shallow they can be an issue, and also, if fishing a flat shelf, you may not be able to cast as far as you'd like before hanging up a bit due to length of retrieve time. But intermediate lines are a blessing in choppy conditions, as they aren't at the mercy of waves.

Dan
  6. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,164 / 1
    +1 on the 6 wt.
    If folks are concerned about the length of the fight, beef up on your leader and take the fight to the fish. They aren't leader shy.
    Jonathan Tachell likes this.
  7. Steve Knapp Beach Bum

Maple Valley
    Ratings: +205 / 3
    I've used a 6 wt BVK and a 6 wt Orvis Hydros for a couple of years. Both with Rio outbound shorts. No complaints with either. They handle pinks fine. I've been wanting to build a 5 wt for my topwater SRC rod, but haven't gotten around to it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  8. Gary Knowels Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +320 / 0
    I'm in the process of building a 9' 6 weight American Tackle Matrix blank up for my beach rod. I'm excited to get it completed and start throwing it in the salt.
  9. Brooks Werner Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +9 / 0
    I just recently purchased an Otto's Colorado 9'6" 6wt and Yampa reel. I have too many other hobbies to afford fancy fly gear, so I gave this setup a try. Couldn't beat the price of under $200 for a rod and machined reel. So far so good, even handles the windy days well for a single hand rod. This was also one of the few 6wt rods I found with a fighting butt, which I find really comes in handy when I'm wearing bulky clothing.
  10. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,164 / 1
    bw93
    What you'll find is a lot of companies offer their 6's in both fresh and saltwater versions. The salty 6's have small fighting butts and saltwater components.
    Sage has both 696-4 and 697-4 with the 697-4 have salt components. Redington offers a 696-4S in a saltwater model with a fighting butt.
    SF
    Jeff Dodd likes this.
  11. Chester Allen Fishing addict and scribbler

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +34 / 0
    I've always used a 6-weight rod, and I bounce back and forth between a few. I currently LOVE the Hardy Zenith, and I also fish a Sage RP -- oldie but a goodie -- and an Orvis Hydros. I usually use Orvis or Ross reels, but I have a couple older Lamsons that I really like as well.
    The really important thing -- at least to me -- is having a selection of lines. I always carry a weight-forward floater, which I use in very shallow water or when fishing one of Leland Miyawaki's amazing poppers. I also use a clear intermediate for most of my fishing. Finally, I carry a fast-sinking line, which comes in handy in strong currents or on bright, clear days, when the cutts are a little shy of the sun. The fast-sinker is an amazing line -- it's incredible how many fish that line reaches. Often, I'll go back through a rip or dropoff with a sinker, and I'll catch fish when I didn't hook one with the intermediate.
    Just my 2 cents....
    Tacoma Red and Jeff Dodd like this.
  12. theunderstudy New Member

Ratings: +8 / 0
    Sage 4550CF and Orvis Access 6wt, Rio Outbound Int.
  13. Just.Mark Member

DuPont, WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    I have been been rocking a 9ft 5wt echo carbon with a 250g SA streamer express and I always carry a Weight forward floating line for those really rocky bottoms. My konic has never had a problem in the salt. SRC arnt choosey that’s why its soo much fun. I have a 8wt cam sigler with a CLA that uses a 300g SA streamer express and a triangle taper floater for big fish.

Which Fast sinker are you using on beach? I have been considering one for some lake fishing to round out my lines, Just curious if one line could do both.

I keep hearing how good those ambush lines are on the beach any one useing one on a regular basis?
  14. Porter Active Member

Kenmore, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +435 / 0
    For past three seasons my go to set-up has been a 691-4 TCR w/Galvan T-6 and I use both a rio short versi tip and SA steelhead floater. I did use a 250 gr. streamer express line a couple years ago which was also good. The TCR behaves more like a hefty 7 weight but I throw 6 weight lines on it. It demands good timing and when your off she lets you know!.... If I had to do it over I would get the 697-4 version, I think it would be a little softer and my casting might be a bit more consistent. I have the 691-4 XP which was my prior salt rod (albeit one short season) but I have dedicated that to freshwater only....I don't want the guides getting all corrided, this one will be with me to the end of my fly tossing days.
  15. Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +46 / 0
    It might be a little off the beaten path but I use a sage 5110 with a compact scandi head. I can overhand and two-hand cast it well and it's still fun to fight the cutties on as well as pinks.
  16. rotato Active Member

home,wa
    Ratings: +49 / 0
    Just Mark
    I use a rio striper line for both my 6 and 8 weight rods out of my skiff
    They cast really well
    I have cast them off the beach a few timesto dredge a tidal chute

My src set up is a 6 weight nrx the basic Lamson and an outbound clear intermediate
  17. Just.Mark Member

DuPont, WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    I have been eyeing a 6wt echo 2 for a while, Just need to get off my ass and do it. I will have to try that rio striper line
  18. Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

WA
    Ratings: +62 / 0
    I've had some success with a 5 weight Echo2 and a Clear Camo line, but I was really under-gunned when the wind came up.

On Paddy's Day I went to GHFS fully intending to buy an outfit based on a Beulah Platinum 9'6" 6 weight. I brought along my old 2-piece Loomis IMX 9' 6 weight to compare as a baseline. Jamie took me over to the park with the Beulah, a Scott A4 956/4, a 9' Echo3S and 3 lines; Ambush, and Rio Outbound Short and Airflow 40+ intermediates to do some test casting.

Rather than bore you with a meaningless review of the 4 rods' and line's characteristics with my mediocre casting skills and style, in light gusts I was able to cast the Scott with the 40+ consistently farther with the line laying out straighter than any of the other combinations. The tip has a little more flex than the other rods and ought to be a lot of fun with SRCs and rezzies. Runner up, with consistent casts but a full 10 feet shorter was the 40+ with my Loomis; I love that rod, but haven't used it a lot recently other than on lakes casting full sink lines with streamers and nymph rigs.

For a reel the Lamson Speedster looked like an excellent value. I guessed on the #3 and after spooling up a ton of backing and the line, the Scott A4-Lamson Speedster 3 outfit balance was perfect. I am looking forward to getting out soon.
  19. Gregg Lundgren Now fishing on weekdays too!

N. Edmonds / Mukilteo, WA
    Ratings: +89 / 0
    Mediocre casting skills and style? I resemble that remark!

Could you still engage us a bit regarding the performance of the lines? I sometimes feel I get a little better performance out of the 40+, but the disadvantage often comes at a high tide/high gradient beach. Still inquiring minds want to know.;)
  20. Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

WA
    Ratings: +62 / 0
    Hi Gregg :) . OK, here goes with the meaningless review.

The 9.5' Scott A4 with the 40+ gave me 60' -70' casts consistently into quartering wind gusts with one backcast and a double haul. For some reason I could not duplicate that with the slightly lighter/faster Beulah that flexes a little farther out towards the tip, probably due to my bad casting habits; you've seen me cast. It wouldn't consistently lay out straight. The (shortest) 9' & fastest Echo3S didn't suit me at all. After casting the Beulah then the Echo3S, I was really surprised that though the Scott's flex/action actually felt a little awkward, it worked real well for me.

I could cast the Outbound Short with the Scott to 60'+ but I couldn't get to it lay out straight in the wind consistently. The Ambush line was more like 50' to 60', and didn't always lay out straight. Those lines didn't make the Beulah or the Echo3 cast any better for me.

I didn't test the Outbound or Ambush but the 40+ was consistent at laying out straight to 60' with my 20 year old 2-piece 9' Loomis IMX that feels comparatively faster than the others, but very smooth and responsive. It just delivers the line out there. (Did I say I love that rod?)

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

FWIW cutthroat kid has mentioned to me that I don't need to cast so far out into deep water on an incoming tide, where the beach we were on together did not have what I would consider a high gradient.