Stehekin Fly Fishing

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Wesley laws, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Wesley laws New Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    I am going to the Stehekin area in mid August for the 2nd time ever. Had a blast last year fishing some holes just north of the landing with a spinning reel and some spinners. Throw out a hook with a few rubber eggs and drifted the bottom and caught a few 18" This time I am bringing a fly pole as well and was hoping for some tips. Dry fly any good during mid August? I remember last year the fish were hitting flys on the surface, but just searching for some more pointers.
  2. The Duke Been around

Des Moines, WA
    Ratings: +66 / 0
    Watch out for bears. Lots of bears in them there woods.
  3. Ryan Hieronymus Member

Normandy Park, Wa
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    Watch out for bears. (its worth mentioning twice)
  4. Broderick Smith SeaToTree

SeaToTree, WA
    Ratings: +39 / 0
    Ill third that on the bears!

What about flows....I've fished it at 700. It's at 1,600 now. What you know about that? I'm heading over in a week. Wadeable at these levels?
  5. 10incher Active Member

Coupeville, Washington
    Ratings: +92 / 0
    What kind of bears are we talking about here?
  6. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA
    Ratings: +618 / 0

Black bears. Grizzly Bears are in the cascades, but in super tiny numbers apparently.
  7. Ryan Hieronymus Member

Normandy Park, Wa
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    I've seen brown bears there. I've got the pictures to prove it too! :)
    David Dalan likes this.
  8. Greg Pucilowski Member

Montpelier, ID
    Ratings: +33 / 0
    The most vicious kinds of bears!
  9. Old406Kid Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +82 / 0
    I thought most of the "Bares" were down around Chelan this time of year.
  10. 10incher Active Member

Coupeville, Washington
    I've never had a scary moment with a black bear though they are actually responsible for more human injury than browns. It's thought that this is because people see them as approachable!?! They jump out of their car with a camera and a box of crackers... But if you ignore them they'll generally split or at least leave you alone. Mothers with cubs should be given a very wide birth of course. I'd be more worried about cougars than black bears.

Browns OTOH! Just may decide you are food, or a threat, mildly annoying or just be in a grumpy mood and try to eat you. I thought browns were scarce too but their range dips into northern Wa. pretty deep. I haven't seen one and I hope not to. Thanks for the warning.
  11. Evan Virnoche Outerspeyz Fly-style

Mill Creek
    Ratings: +492 / 0
    I have a bowflex not really to scared of bears since I use the most resistance on it
    Pred, atomic dog, Jim Wallace and 3 others like this.
  12. Wesley laws New Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    Agreed, there are bears everywhere, we saw them last year on our hike in to Stehekin. Anyways back to the topic at hand. Any tips on fishing the lower stehekin? Dry fly and and wet fly varieties?
  13. martyg Active Member

The world at large
    Ratings: +70 / 0
    No browns in the Cascades. A few grizzly perhaps, but not browns.
  14. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +889 / 1
    The ones I don't want to come across are Teddy bears. Usually small whiny kids are with them.
    triploidjunkie likes this.
  15. 10incher Active Member

Coupeville, Washington
    Brown and grizzly are the same bear. Seriously. Please look into it before arguing on the thread.

Sorry for the continued thread diversion.
  16. triploidjunkie Active Member

Grand Coulee, WA
    Ratings: +1,000 / 0
    Yep, dries and wets should cover it. Maybe throw in some nymphs and egg patterns.
  17. ken2cross Member

Lake Stevens, Wa
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    I think you are in for a treat. I caught the biggest cutthroat I have ever seen there (but that was in the lake right downtown while waiting for the boat.)
    Be sure to check conditions before you go. Last year when I was there the streams were all blown out.
  18. Preston Active Member

Ratings: +359 / 0
    Brown or cinnamon phase black bears are occasionally encountered in the Cascades and Olympics; another example of common names breeding confusion. The Alaskan "brown bear" is a subspecies of grizzly.
  19. Billy McFly Active Member

Edmonds WA
    Ratings: +62 / 0
    I've run into Black Bears many times and at first site they bolt. I surprised on hiking up to Minors Ridge off the Suiattle. I came around a bend in the trail and there was the bear not 20' away. I had my camera around my neck but all I got was a shot of his butt as he disappeared into the brush.

Many years ago I was camping way up above Winthrop to the Northwest. We were heading into town on a beer run, drove around a corner and there was a griz in the middle of the fs road. This guy was huge, with a big hump on his back, cinnamon colored. We were in a large 4X4 truck but he did not run. We stopped and stared at each other for a second then he wondered down the hill. I'm glad we were in that truck but if he wanted to he could have peeled it open for an easy snack.
    Pred and 10incher like this.
  20. Jason Rolfe Wanderer

the beach
    Ratings: +371 / 0
    Excellent thread hijack, gentlemen.