Stehekin Fly Fishing

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Wesley laws, Jul 22, 2013.

1. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +1,036 / 1
    It went left on the 2nd post. Never seen it happen that fast.
    dibling, Jim Wallace and McNasty like this.
  2. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +544 / 0
    Some of these guys seem just too determined to change the subject, which leads me to believe that the fishing there is off the Richter Scale. Now i am going to make a point to get over there and explore! I've never fished the Stehiken, but now its moving up toward the top of my list.;)
    Pred and triploidjunkie like this.
  3. Evan Virnoche Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0

its about as good as the cedar and just to far in my opinion to have any fishing value
  4. Wesley laws New Member

My group of friends does a lot of hiking out there and we make a point to stop there for 3 days or so and its hard to standby and not fish that river. Just needed some pointers on what flys to use. I haven't fly fished in a while and would love to try it on that river. Thanks for some of the pointers everyone.
  5. Evan Virnoche Guest

what would you use on the methow or Yakima?

it will be the same stuff in general maybe just different timing of the year. I suggest getting one of the orvis insect books or equivalent and learning what caddis, stones, and all the other freshwater bugs generally look like. it will pay dividends if you fish as far as east as maine all the way to Washington.

in fact I just realized I haave this book on my shitter stack at work. [IMG]

it has full explanations of lifecycle of bugs, freshwater crustaceans, leeches and baitfish

personally I am a two hander whore and love swinging ugly ass leech patterns
  6. Wilken Member

Hobart, WA
    Ratings: +18 / 0
    You might want to bring some green drake flies (nymphs, emergers, adults). It may be a little early for that hatch but if it is cloudy, you never know. I've caught some really nice cutbows and rainbows in that stream during the drake hatch. Other than that, the typical stream fly selection also work (i.e. adams, black ant, caddis, pt nymphs, stone fly nymphs, egg patterns, sculpin etc.).

And believe me, it ain't too far. The scenery is amazing, there are no tweakers breaking in to your camp, very few fisherman (if any) and the fish can be quite large. Apparently Bass Turds hasn't been to Alaska, Montana, Patagonia or New Zealand to fish because none of them are too far either, even though they are much further than the Stehekin. I recommend the hydrofoil boat to get there!
  7. JayH Member

Maple Valley, WA
    Ratings: +48 / 0
  8. Evan Virnoche Guest

You didnt catch my sarcasim about the cedar. I always tell people these rivers dont have fish and suck.

Im well aware of stehekin and what it holds. One day i will do the trek over. Until then i will be grease lining powerbait
  9. Porter Active Member

Kenmore, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +535 / 0
    Just watch out for this guy!!!

[IMG]
  10. grsmith51 New Member

Yakima, Wa
    Couple things I would do. Not sure where you are staying but get ahold of Cliff Courtney up at the ranch, easy enough to email them. Find out if he is running his rafting trips and if he is take one. Lots of fun and you can find the holes as you take a beautiful float down the river from the ranch. Come back and fish them later, (take the bus up the valley and get off and fish your way back down). Also as mentioned earlier check with the fly shop, should call and make an appointment if necessary, or use them as a guide early in your trip to point out spots you can hit later. You may not be into it, but a BHP drifted into deep pools can be deadly. But no matter what the scenery is fantastic, and the food at the ranch beats most restaurants I've eaten at.

Greg S.
  11. Lance workin' on it

Bainbridge Island
    Ratings: +14 / 0
    Fish don't eat flies up there, better off to stay in Chelan and catch the cutties down there for sure.
  12. Billy McFly Active Member

Edmonds WA
    Ratings: +63 / 0

There's a fly shop in Stehekin??? I've been through there a few times and never noticed. I guess I was too distracted from the bakery smell.
  13. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +544 / 0
    I checked the fly shop's web pages. Looks like I'll have to get over there, one of these years before I get old. Not in the middle of Summer, though. Probably after it begins to cool off in the late Summer or early Fall.
    I'll have to talk one of my fishing buddies into going.

Looks cheaper than New Zealand, Patagonia, or even Alaska.
  14. Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +240 / 0
    These days how far up the road can you ride a bicycle??

Does the Park Service allow dispersed camping along the road or do you have to stay with the unwashed masses in a campground??
  15. Michael Morris Member

Kenmore
    Ratings: +15 / 0
    how long is the hike into the river ?
  16. G-spot4u Active Member

Ratings: +70 / 0
    censored
    dfl and Jim Wallace like this.
  17. dfl Active Member

Sequim WA
    Ratings: +130 / 0
    Who do you contact for air charter?
  18. 83uflyer New Member

Monroe, wa, United States
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    I really will have to do this before the season is over. Lucky for me I have a plane to use :)

45 minutes from PAE to Stehekin!