Stolen truck and trailer on the Snoqualmie

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Stonefish, Nov 1, 2013.

1. bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

m-ville
    Ratings: +675 / 0
    Car thefts & obama care have two things in common , like it or not there here to stay ...so we are all going to have to learn to deal with it.
    PT likes this.
  2. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,744 / 0

Two to the chest or largest portion of body available, one to the head. You want to down them first. The head can be taken care of once down. Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting twice or thrice. Ammunition is cheap, life is not. With that said the best way to win a gunfight is to not get into one.
  3. weiliwen Active Member

Chicago Illinois
    Ratings: +75 / 0
    A lot of bloodthirsty mofo's here, looking to blame somebody else - Obama, Police, liberals, take your pick. It gets boring.

Tacoma Red has the best idea - remove the dizzy cap (I used to just remove the rotor inside it), or even a couple spark plug wires; it's not hard to disable the car, and do you really think one of these guys is going to have a spare spark plug wire handy? Not likely. It won't stop them from breaking in, but it will stop them from driving it away.
    Olive bugger likes this.
  4. PT Physhicist

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +715 / 2
    Nobody is blaming anyone but the dirtbags who do this stuff. Bloodthirsty? Doubt it. Wishing there were consequences for these lowlifes? Absolutely.

People who can't see past a couple comments made in jest.... Boring.
    Rob Hardman and Alex MacDonald like this.
  5. weiliwen Active Member

Chicago Illinois
    Ratings: +75 / 0
    In jest, eh?

My apologies, PT - I must be out of touch. Your sense of humor is different than mine. I see nothing funny about people threatening to shoot other people.
    ten80 and Chris Johnson like this.
  6. kurtataltos Active Member

Los Altos, CA
    Ratings: +45 / 0
    The frustration with many is the lack of consequences. The truck was probably stripped within 8 hours, all gear gone. Is it worth shooting someone? To each his/her own. A couple months ago I was in the kitchen, at the window, looking out at the street when two teens walked up to the edge of the street directly next to our home, 25 feet away from my window, with bottles, rags stuck in the top, and they were trying to light the rags with some effort. Purpose? Don't really know. Don't really care. As they fumbled around I acquired a Winchester Defender, walked out the front door and loaded a round. That sound... that distinctive sound of a chambered round, got their attention. The only thing I said was "it's time to make really smart decisions". They looked at me, they looked at the shotgun and took off running. Don't know who they were, where they went but they have never been back. Never have seen them again. Would I have shot them for firebombing my home. You bet. And they knew it.

I have some liberal friends who, when hearing the story, remarked that I should have tried to council and educate the youths, nurturing their perspective with constructive criticism. I told the libs that is exactly what I did.

There needs to be consequences. There is a fine line between a civil society and absolute mayhem. The lack of respect, ability to follow the law and our "leaders" inability to stand up to offenders with no thought for victims needs to end. Sorry about that libs... actually, I'm not.
  7. jake-e-boy Active Member

Kennewick
    Ratings: +206 / 0
    except now they are going to break into your house and steal your shotgun. never show and/or tell

plus, dead men tell no tale
  8. JayB Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +134 / 0
    Just in case you needed a vivid example of the way that the current set of drug policies distorts law enforcement priorities...
    http://www.aei-ideas.org/2013/11/am...w-enforcement-agencies-of-an-innocent-victim/

I'd venture a guess that when you factor in all of the cost in up-front pay, back-end benefits like pensions and retiree healthcare, equipment, and admin support the costs to deploy a single police officer run well north of $200 per hour.

I have no problem with the costs, but I hope that someday we'll collectively pause, reflect, and ask ourselves if this is the sort of thing that a valuable resource like police-officer-time should be focused on when there's things like rape, murder, and theft to be dealt with.
    PT and Steve Vaughn like this.
  9. Fishee Member

seattle
    Ratings: +18 / 0
    Here's a kewl little device you'll should watch.

Once you fine where they're hiding, you can:

1. send the info to the police to take care of it.

2. mass distribute the info on all fishing forum in State of Washington, telling everyone that this @55hole live HERE is the that stole your vehicle. Here is picture to prove it. You maybe able view your actual vehichle live, that is before it's been chopped up. I don't know what the law is. Or this might get you into some kind of law/trouble and you'll ending being in jail with the guy who broke into your car.

Anyways, if you're do something about it. Be smart about it, don't screw yourself over.
  10. PT Physhicist

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +715 / 2
    Do you think the people who threw out the name Bush, or Obama, actually think it's one of those people's fault people are breaking into cars? Ummmmm, I don't. Linking to sniper rifles means we should all go hide in the bushes and blow people away who are lurking around a vehicle? Ummmmmm, I don't. Maybe it's me missing their true intent. If'n people thought it was ok to shoot people for breaking into a car at some launch somewhere, I'd think many on this board would be in jail right now for having done that. Those people are still posting on this board so I don't think they've been out practicing the three SSS's.

I don't even carry a jar of molasses or a shovel with me so it'd be pretty hard to bury them up to their chin and pour it on.

Just because I listened to this on the way to the river, doesn't mean I subscribe to his preference. ;)

11. jersey livin' the dream

sonoma county
    Ratings: +69 / 0
    http://homicides.redeyechicago.com/

From Chicago? Maybe you and your fellow citizens actually prefer to pull triggers? Threats are fodder...

Some dirt bag stole someones truck, don't really care why he's a dirt bag, nor do I care to share his story or walk in his shoes. Take a moment and consider the guy whose truck is gone, not the scum-sucking SOB who stole it. There was a time the consequences were an actual deterrent.

Darwin, please help!
    Rob Hardman, PT and dfl like this.
  12. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,615 / 0
    I only came to my heartless point of view regarding B & E perps and thieves because the justice system fails to produce justice. A car thief in WA doesn't do real jail time until the 6th or 7th vehicle theft. Zero deterrence value in that. Crime actually pays, thereby making it popular among the ethically challenged.

LE folks tell us that 90% of the crimes are committed by the same perps who re-offend time and time again. And in the case of meth or some other drug tweakers, they cannot stop. The positive aspect of simply killing perps is that it prevents recidivism. Dead perps don't re-offend.

Just because the method seems extreme to some doesn't mean that it doesn't work. And I'm not so much heartless as I am pragmatic. I like things that work. The justice system doesn't. Philosophically I'm a pacifist live-and-let-live sort. But perps don't let this type live without interference, and therefore forfeit their right to life when they steal my truck, my boat, my outboard, my TV, etc., not to mention threaten my person or family.
    chadk, Rob Hardman, _WW_ and 7 others like this.
  13. ten80 Active Member

Anchorage, AK
    Ratings: +84 / 0

You may forfeit your right to these things by shooting a perp, at least in the eyes of a jury.

I've thought about purchasing fire arms to protect the safety of my belongings and person, but I wonder if I could make a legally defensible decision about shooting someone during a sudden confrontation. I believe that you can shoot an intruder if they enter your home, but out in the open it requires extenuating circumstances. I also wouldn't want to be involved in a gun/weapon fight with cracked out meth heads, I'm no friggin gun-slinging Bruce Willis action movie superhero.

Full insurance coverage and taking every reasonable precaution to avoid theft of my goods is my mantra. It costs me $80/yr to insure my 14ft pontoon (and all its accessories) and trailer, and that includes $100k liability in case someone gets hurt while on my boat.
    dfl and Steve Vaughn like this.
  14. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,615 / 0
    ten80,

1. if it goes to a jury, you did it wrong.
    2. I ain't no action hero either; just a ticked off homeowner. If they break into the garage and try running off, I'll just outrun them to get in front and blow 'em away in self defense as they are charging me. And we don't call 911 in our neighborhood, and we have a friend who has a backhoe.

Sg
  15. cuponoodle breakfast gritty

Arlington
    Ratings: +303 / 0
    I think that statement is an example of the cultural difference that's behind a lot of these gun-related debates. A lot of people don't have to make that decision because they've had guns most of their lives. If someone has never owned a gun, then it's good they're giving the issue serious thought before proceeding. Still, it's an alien idea to imagine myself sitting down and really going over the idea of whether or not I should have a gun.

In short, it requires that you, as a reasonable person, believe you're in danger of death or serious bodily harm.
    Andrew Lawrence likes this.
  16. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,744 / 0
    Or a member of your family.

Whenever this argument comes up I am reminded of the guy in Burlington that shot two guys on his front porch, killing one and seriously wounding the other. Neither one of the two people shot were armed and neither one had entered his home. He said he was fearful for the safety of his daughter. I believe he was charged with murder but don't remember in what degree. He was acquitted by a Skagit County jury. Obviously there is more to this story but the bottom line is this cat popped two unarmed guys on his porch and walked.
    PT likes this.
  17. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +540 / 0
    There are occasional random single gun shots and fireworks being shot off randomly all year long where I live. Its gotten so common that no one bothers to check any of it out. The GH county sheriff's dept will not go investigate a report of illegal fireworks. Waste of time, and not enough manpower to go check such a low priority violation. They even said so.
    You hear just one rifle shot, or shotgun blast, but there isn't a second, so you can't figure out the direction it came from. so it goes unreported.
    I could go fire off my shotgun in my backyard (one shot) right now (no hunting allowed in my neighborhood), and it would go unreported.
  18. Upton O Blind hog fisherman

out of state now
    Ratings: +211 / 0
    I've worked with a whole lot of clients who've killed human beings, I've also seen the effect it has had on their lives and the lives of those they've loved even many years later. Most of the killings were in combat situations, a few were intentional atrocities, and fewer yet were killings they committed after their military time was over.

The vast majority of the men who killed humans in combat had definite residual issues, some did not. The men who committed the atrocities were all profoundly impacted. The men who committed homicide, either self defense or an assault type homicide were also profoundedly impacted except for one individual who was a psychopath. I've heard their stories, I've been there as they've struggled to come to grips with what they had done and what they and their families had been through. I've heard the worst of the worst and it affected me just by listening.

It ain't pretty.

For all of you "badass" wannabe's, I suggest you read this book before you strap on your "9" and go looking for trouble. The author has excellent credentials.

On Killing: The Psychological Cost of Learning to Kill in War and Society by David Grossman.

For those of you who are documented badasses, this might answer some of the questions you may have been struggling with. For those of you who don't suffer, well, good, you're lucky.

By the way, Alex, I have the greatest respect for combat soldiers, Marines and law enforcement officers. However, the 11B's you speak with may tell you they're fine, but it helps to watch how they handle marriage, children (small and adult) their jobs, and other interactions with people particularly after they retire from their careers. I usually got a better idea of what was going on when I spoke with spouses and/or their children. And, if the only time combat vets can discuss their combat experiences (war stories or whatever) is when they're loaded, well, that is usually a sign, too.
  19. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +540 / 0
    I think I would have to feel that my life or well being was in danger before I could shoot someone. I'm not even going to let anyone hit me with their closed fist, if I can help it. A hard enough blow can possible kill ya, you know. Some people don't know their own strength. If someone big and mean is threatening me with physical harm of any kind, then I feel that my life is endangered. QED

A Vietnam Vet who was a friend of mine was involved in some horrible shit over in Nam. It affected him for the rest of his life. He became an alcoholic after he returned to the States. He told only one person about his experiences, once, when he was roaring drunk. After we held a wake for him, she told me some of what he'd told her. Sounded like nothing I'd ever want to have to live thru and have in my memories.
  20. ten80 Active Member

Anchorage, AK
    Ratings: +84 / 0
    Not sure about you personally (and I'm not asking), but I don't think most gun owners are experienced in the disposal of corpses. Mess up and you're going to spend some bonus time in poorly decorated room with small windows. Not worth it to me, but I can respectfully say that anyone you'd shoot probably deserves the fate you describe. I'll leave vigilante justice to others and hope they make good decisions.