strange advertisement

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by ken2cross, Feb 12, 2013.

1. ken2cross Member

Lake Stevens, Wa
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    I just read a strange advertisement. A 4 piece rod was said to be the new standard because in part they are faster. Am I missing something?
    I was thinking my next would be a 2 piece rod thinking less parts = better reliability.
    I don't see where 4 pieces would make the action faster but it seams the extra mass would make it slightly slower.
    Ken
  2. Mike Ediger Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +151 / 8
    Some say tip-over-butt ferrules cause "flat spots" or "hinges" or "stiffen" the blank (which some may call faster) because you lose the continuous taper of the rod and therefore transfer of energy. Internal ferrules are said to maintain the continuous taper of the rod and therefore have less effect on loading/unloading the rod. The less ferrules the more consistent the taper and transfer of energy, which means a one piece rod is more consistent than a 2pc, a 2pc rod more consistent than a 3pc....etc. Expert casters (of which I am not) may be able to tell a difference, but I doubt most of us hacks can. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. Just something for fly fishing physicists to argue about around the campfire or computer.
    Just my uneducated opinion.
  3. Idaho steel Active Member

Clearwater
    Ratings: +48 / 0
    Marketers have been known to say nearly anything they think will generate a sale... I tend to believe four piece rods are the new standard simply for transportability.

As Mike said, don't worry about it. Build the one that make you happiest.
  4. Half Pounder Member

Pacific Northwest
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    Given the option, I prefer finishing out two-piece rods, but I would be happiest fishing with nothing but one-piecers. There are two many variables in construction technique, wall thickness, and taper design to hold fast to many truisms in terms of rod action and power vis-a-vis number of sections; however, I'd say that Mike E. is right about consistency of taper, etc. I have wrapped sweet four-piece rods that were somewhat less sweet in the same line weight as two piece. And vice versa . . . . :)