Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Strange delusions?

1K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  TD 
#1 ·
Sipping my morning coffee, and opening Steve Raymond's book, BLUE UPRIGHT, I find that the first chapter deals with the Carey Special fly. After reading a few lines, my sleep laden mind drifted off to some of the Carey Specials I had fished in the past and the relative success of each one that I could recall. Then a great revelation brushed all that aside and I began to speculate about a PURPLE CAREY.

Say, a number 8 hook, tied with a bright purple body and a pheasant tail hackle.

What do you fellows think?

Guess it wouldn't hurt to tie a couple and try them in a local water.

Any thoughts?

#16 ·
if i remember i had a couple pheasant rump feathers dyed purple i got somewhere which is what made me think of doing a purple carey. i used them for the hackle and a few barbs for the tail. then i did a dyed purple peacock herl body with a wine colored rib. one had a purple bead. i caught fish on lakes and a couple on the river.

#5 ·
Not sure I can handle two thoughts at the same time, Bill.

So now I am going to have to load up a fly box with purple Careys and Lime green Careys. Add in the black and brown, perhaps a red or orange. Yep, I think I can fill another fly box.

#13 ·
I tied up a purple carey. The guilt of not having that color got to me. I have an olive chennile, black, peacock, and now a purple bodied Carey Special. The guilt has lifted. :)
You speak of guilt. Now I feel guilty as well. I am thinking that I might dress that bug in a myriad of color. A rainbow if you will, of creative endeavor. Perhaps that will ease the pain of my slackard type behaivor.

#24 ·
I am about four or five chapters into the book. I liked it so much, I ordered a copy for my library. The copy I am reading is from the King
County Library. The more of Steve's books I read, the better I like them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.