Strange delusions?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Olive bugger, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

Sipping my morning coffee, and opening Steve Raymond's book, BLUE UPRIGHT, I find that the first chapter deals with the Carey Special fly. After reading a few lines, my sleep laden mind drifted off to some of the Carey Specials I had fished in the past and the relative success of each one that I could recall. Then a great revelation brushed all that aside and I began to speculate about a PURPLE CAREY.

Say, a number 8 hook, tied with a bright purple body and a pheasant tail hackle.

What do you fellows think?

Guess it wouldn't hurt to tie a couple and try them in a local water.

Any thoughts?

2. McNasty

McNasty Canyon Lurker

no thoughts, just memories of catching fish on the two purple carey's i tied last summer :) (it works)

3. Olive bugger

Thanks for the input.

Is the pattern description in line with your fly pattern?

4. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

OB, don't forget a lime green carey in smaller sizes and skinny bodies.

5. Olive bugger

Not sure I can handle two thoughts at the same time, Bill.

So now I am going to have to load up a fly box with purple Careys and Lime green Careys. Add in the black and brown, perhaps a red or orange. Yep, I think I can fill another fly box.

6. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I tied up a red one one time. I got said pattern from Ive. Never did fish it as I moved away before I get that chance. Or I just got lazy.

7. Olive bugger

\
    I'm betting on the latter. LOL

8. Keith Hixson

Keith Hixson Active Member

I tied up a purple carey. The guilt of not having that color got to me. I have an olive chennile, black, peacock, and now a purple bodied Carey Special. The guilt has lifted. :)

9. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

The cary special strikes me as a pattern that could be used in a rainbow of colors, and sizes to bring the hurt on nearly everything that swims.

Keith Hixson likes this.
  10. zen leecher aka bill w

The self carey, the six pack, the green/red/peacock/yellow/lime green versions... Oh yeah, the groundhog bodied carey.

11. Kaiserman

Kaiserman content

Been there done that one... haven't fished it yet in a year and a half :rolleyes:

12. zen leecher aka bill w

We found it effective for damselfly nymphs that had just moulted.

13. Olive bugger

You speak of guilt. Now I feel guilty as well. I am thinking that I might dress that bug in a myriad of color. A rainbow if you will, of creative endeavor. Perhaps that will ease the pain of my slackard type behaivor.

14. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

Best not forget to include some Doc Spratleys

15. Krusty

Krusty Active Member

I got a Purple Willy, which is kind of related.....

16. McNasty

McNasty Canyon Lurker

if i remember i had a couple pheasant rump feathers dyed purple i got somewhere which is what made me think of doing a purple carey. i used them for the hackle and a few barbs for the tail. then i did a dyed purple peacock herl body with a wine colored rib. one had a purple bead. i caught fish on lakes and a couple on the river.

17. Kaiserman

Kaiserman content

I'm always pleasantly surprised just how well my "mini" Docs do, when I can't quite match the emerger that's hatching.

18. plaegreid

plaegreid Saved by the buoyancy of citrus

Purple buggers are hella-effective, don't see why a purple carey wouldn't work.

19. Olive bugger

I have tied some purple buggers, but I have not had an opportunity to test them.

20. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Purple has a time and place, just like wine(maroon).