Streamer Fly length

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by ptphisher, Jul 22, 2013.

1. ptphisher Member

Bremerton, Washington
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    what would be the appropriate length of a clouser minnow fly this time of year?
  2. ten80 Active Member

Anchorage, AK
    Ratings: +84 / 0
    I suspect that the upper limit for fishable size is somewhere in the size range of a herring (4-8") and I've caught coho from the beach on clousers nearly 4" long, but a fly that large is not fun to cast. Try ~2-3" total length with a sz 1 to 2/0 trailer hook.
  3. Brooks Werner Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +9 / 0
    I tie up a variety of lengths from about 1.5-3". The little ones can always be used for SRC's. I also tie almost all of mine with trailing/stinger hooks now. Might just be my imagination but I seem to have better hookups with them.
  4. rotato Active Member

home,wa
    Ratings: +65 / 0
    I have been throwing a 4 inch whispy tube clouser lately
    Doing ok on cutts and large rezzies
  5. mtskibum16 Active Member

Puget Sound Beaches
    Ratings: +201 / 0
    Mine usually end up in the 2-4" range with most around 3" probably. Clousers with stingers or lately tube flies with a cone but the same material and colors as my clousers. I am finding the cone flies cast much better than a clouser and a tube fly with a cone is easier and faster than a clouser with a stinger. I don't think they fish quite as jiggy though. Might need some heavier cones.
  6. kelvin Active Member

Seattle,WA
    Ratings: +285 / 0
    they go for the head so unless your getting alot of short stirkes it doesnt matter other than matching the size of the bait fish that are around

flatwingg.jpg

this fly has been very effective on both Sea Runs and Salmon
  7. Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Olympic Peninsula
    Ratings: +643 / 0
    I have seen sea run Cutthroat take some pretty surprisingly large bait at times. Here is a picture of a Sculpin that is just over 3 inches long. I have seen them choke down full herring of well over six inches long.
    http://olympicpeninsulaflyfishing.blogspot.com
    camera 1 first try 249.JPG
  8. mtskibum16 Active Member

Puget Sound Beaches
    Ratings: +201 / 0
    If you look at the streamers people are using to catch a 20" brown, it's easy to imagine a salmon twice (or more) the weight has no problem eating the larger sizes.