NFR Stroke sucks, you're not too young!

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jim Speaker, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Dipnet

Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

I will certainly pray for healing and full recovery for you Jim. There's fish out there calling your name!

Jim Speaker likes this.
  2. Alosa

Alosa Active Member

Sorry to hear this.

Jim Speaker likes this.
  3. Greg Price

Greg Price Love da little fishies

Jim,

There is hope. I've seen a family member recover from both a heart attack and stroke. We ended up fly fishing rivers in Alaska for salmon within 2 years of the heart atack then stroke. Make no mistake, the stroke appeared to take more out of him than the heart attack, but he recovered well enough to fight hearty salmon on a single handed fly rod.

Glad you are still with us and hope you can regain your fly fishing/tying skills soon.

Jim Speaker likes this.
  4. Thom Collins

Thom Collins Active Member

Looking forward to seeing more of your fly tying handiwork. Prayers sent, more to follow.

Jim Speaker likes this.
  5. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Whoa! I just got home and turned my computer on to find this shocker.
    Hard to believe that the healthy and vigorous young dude with whom I recently fished just had a stroke.

Jim, I'm glad to hear that you were able to make those calls and get some help. This bad news has me in a state of shock. Your friend Jeff is right. You are one tough guy, and if anyone can pull off a clean recovery from such a thing, its you.

Jim Speaker likes this.
  6. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

Jim, thanks so much for sharing that. After experiencing Bell's at age 30, stroke was always the one that scared me but I had it pictured much later in life. I'd love to read more about your experience as you progress. I'm 45 and you certainly got my attention. Hoping all the best for you and your family...

Jim Speaker likes this.
  7. Peyton00

Peyton00 Active Member

Get to work on the Skein Sac Fly.

I wish you well.

Jim Speaker likes this.
  8. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

Thanks everyone, very much. Thank you for the prayers and for the thoughts. There are never too many prayers.

I'm going to be ok. I'm typing almost as well now, but maybe slower. My speech has been better without so much need to think about it.

I'll be fine. GF even being supportive of me going after Pinks in my boat this weekend. Is she kidding? I think she's serious.

People be warned to get help FAST - don't hesitate to call 911.

Again, thank you so much.

9. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Glad it wasn't worse than it was & that you're recovering. Prayer sent.

Jim Speaker likes this.
  10. LD

LD Active Member

Life has a funny way of throwing us a curve now an then. Glad to hear you are making a good and speedy recovery. Nice to have a hobby that will also aid in your therapy.
    Hope you will be able to get on the water soon.

Jim Speaker likes this.
  11. bitterroot

bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

More good thoughts comin' your way! Full recovery is right around the corner.

Jim Speaker likes this.
  12. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Question Jim, do they know which type of stroke it was? Also, do you drink and smoke?

I think we can all learn from Jim's experience. Glad to hear you're doing better, I can't imagine how scary that must have been.

Jim Speaker likes this.
  13. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

Get better Jim! I hope you won't face another such crisis until you're very very old.

Jim Speaker likes this.
  14. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Get better Jim! You're in my thoughts for a speedy recovery!

Jim Speaker likes this.
  15. Skysoldier

Skysoldier Trout Hunter

Damn Jim that's crazy! I hope you have a speedy recovery and are back out on the water slinging flies soon.

Jim Speaker likes this.
  16. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Jim
    Very sorry this happened to you but also very relieved that you were able to call 911 as soon as you did. Best fishes for a full recovery day by day. Keep the attitude up and the patience intact.

TC

Jim Speaker likes this.
  17. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Jim-

If you are typing as well as you are now the in the early days after your stroke you will likely continue to get much, much better. This is good and hang in there buddy. Maybe lay off the pinks this weekend, but plan on more fishing this summer!

911 is an important call- Neurologists can give clot busting drugs with better outcomes within 3 hours, by 5 hours the outcomes are worse but it still remains important to show fast to the ER. Interventional Neuroradiologists can sometimes insert catheters into the arteries in question and retrieve or bust up the clot if clot busting drugs by vein are unsuccessful. Perhaps what is more important is that the Ambulance bring you to a stroke center, the more isolated you are, the less likely they have a well-oiled machine in the ER along with neurologists and neuroradiologists to get you triaged and treated quickly. That's part of the reason programs like Swedish are busting their asses to get telemedicine stations in outlying WA state hospitals to let centrally located Docs triage clot busting decisions and hospital transfer decisions based on a facilitated exam..

Important risks for stroke include high blood pressure, high blood sugars, high cholesterol, high homocysteine, heart valve irregularities, heart rhythm issues, untreated sleep apnea, tight carotid or vertebral arteries, migraine hx particularly in women over the age of forty on estrogen containing hormone replacements, and smoking histories.

For ischemic stroke below the age of 50 there are a bunch of blood-and other- tests that need to be done to see if there are inherited or present risks of easy clotting that necessitate something other than aspirin therapies.

Stroke ought to scare the hell out of everyone. Just like understanding the meaning of sudden onset chest pain, getting familiar with strokes and how they present is important. It's a little like witnessing a drowning, the things that show are absent skills. Watching stroke develop is not particularly dramatic like convulsive seizure

18. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

I had an ischemic stroke. I have a smoking history, but not lately.

I have a condition in my heart around 8% have, a valve that doesn't close 100%. That can cause clots. There are medicines to manage that.

I'm still waiting for the neurologist to examine my heart and legs scans.

I think I'll need to practice everything including fine motions to tie flies. My typing is getting good so watch out OMJ for my post count!!! ;)

jjaims and Kent Lufkin like this.
  19. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

Thanks Boot. Very informative. Thanks for sharing current knowledge.
    Good luck Jim. That'll teach you to mess with the cat.

Jim Speaker likes this.
  20. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Like I should worry.:p:p