stumped on sea run cutts

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by M00se456, Feb 23, 2002.

1. M00se456 New Member

Bothell, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I have just started fishing for sea run cutts, and i am having a little trouble. I have been out 3 times and i don't think i have gotten a single bite. I went to picnic point twice and meadowdale beach once. One day the tide was coming in, and almost high tide, and the other two days the tide was going out. As far as flys go i have gone to 2 diff. fly shops and the people at them gave me some flys that they said should work good. I have used deceivers, other minnow patterns, a couple euphosid patterns, and some attractor patterns. So what is the deal, are the fish simply not at these beaches at this time, or what. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks
  2. Tom Bowden Active Member

Black Diamond, WA
    Ratings: +72 / 3
    Don't give up! From January to March, many SRC's are in the streams spawning and the fishing in the Sound slows down. There are always a few around, but not as many as there will be later.

Tom
  3. Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

Mountlake Terrace, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    So, I have been out for SRCs for about a year, and not caught one in the salt yet. I can catch them in the rivers, but not in the salt.

Rob
  4. Woollyworm New Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Here's a compilation of tips I've picked up in the past two years.

Keep on the look-out for the right locations. Some are better than others, and there are some fantastic hotbeds out there.

Study Puget Sound charts, maps and aerial photos. Look for protected inlets fed by clean streams. If a particular stream is noted for having a healthy fall run of cutts, you can bet that those same fish inhabit the stream's estuary throughout the rest of the year.

Gravel beaches tend to produce better than mud flats. Oyster beds are a good sign of SRC habitat.

Look for channels carved by incoming freshwater that weave through estuary bottoms like streams (aerial photos can be extraordinarily helpful for locating these). When the current moves through these channels the cutts will stack up in them like river-dwelling trout. This can lead to high numbers caught and released.

Swing weighted woolly buggers with Krystal Flash tied into the tails or small chartreuse and white clousers. Give erratic strips to suggest wounded, disoriented bait.

Keep on the move on the beach, look for jumping fish, submerged structure, eelgrass, anything different. Always cast into rips. Fish can be in shallow so start your casts close to the beach before wading in and then work your way out further.

Fish the tide changes. And cast a lot when you're out there. Cast until your arm hurts. When the fishing is slow, blind persistence will eventually pay off.

Good fishing
    ww
  5. rockfish Member

Manchester, Wa
    aint it great, curents are and tides movements push forage and fish into certain areas at certain times master that and your worthy of a salt water fly fisherman, I had the luck of growing up in manchester so my best advise would be just to be out on the water. not that many people are masters of the inshore fishing around here, there are some but not many. so fish and be open minded and experiment. do not fish a place because no one ever fishes there. try shrimp/krill paterns till the spring or untill baby fish start sprayin the shore line being chased by predator fish. if you stick with it you will know the transition when it happens. good fishin Ben
  6. M00se456 New Member

Bothell, WA, USA.
    well i guess i will just have to keep at it. Im just wondering though if anyone has been doing good on the src's this time of year. If so what beaches have you been going to. Thanks for all the info, and any other tips would be appreciated. thanks
    Jesse
  7. Gizler New Member

Seattle, Washington, USA.
    The sea-runs are out there if you know where to find them. I fished for a few hours Saturday moring with good success even though the tide, in my opinion, wasn't to good for fishing. If you're serious about catching some sea-runs put in the time reading some of the books on the subject. My personal favorite is "The Estuary Flyfisher". It has some good info on SRC's as well as other salmon species and lots of good salt water fly patterns. After that it just a matter of finding the right beach, which for me was half the fun. It took me nearly a year to find my favorite beach and I not only have I yet to get skunked while fishing it, I have never seen anybody else fishing there. If you put in the time I am sure you will be successful.
  8. Edmonds2Missoula New Member

Missoula, Montana.
    Hey guys, I just found this site, I now live in Missoula, Mt but am from washington, as my username suggests. Anyway, I saw the topic and had to reply, I have been fishing for sea runs for the last 4 years and think I have done pretty well. Moose, I would keep fishing those spost you mentioned, there ARE fish there so be patient. I usually start with a candle fish pattern but keep my eyes open, if I see a lot of fish in the area I will switch to a dry. YES, a dry, all you need is something that is really boyant, anything with spun deer or elk hair works great.

Drys aren't always the most productive, but I have had some of my best days fishing 'skating' these flies as fast as I can.

Look for bait fish in the area, I know that they come in really close to shore and if you can cast into a ball, you should hook a fish.

Good luck and email me if you have any questions.

justin_crump@hotmail.com
  9. saltchuck New Member

seattle, washington, usa.
    Moose - I gave Joe on February 15 a little information which may help yyou out. Check that posting which I think was titled Seattle Searun Cutthroats (or something very similar) :HAPPY