Sub-Surface Extravaganza

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Islander, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Islander Steve

Langley, Wa..
    Ratings: +184 / 6
    Figured since it's suppose to rain tomorrow I might as well get a little water time in so I hit the Lake around 2. Almost warm with a slight breeze blowing on and off. Fished the point with the CC on a sink-tip and got into a bunch of smaller fish in the 10-12 inch range. Decided to go try my luck on some bigger fish and moved to the back end. I had some chronies I had tied that I wanted to try out so I rigged up the bobber and gave it a go for about an hour or so with no love at all. The last several trips I had been checking out the midges coming up and watching the fish taking them sub-surface once and a while. So a few day ago I tried my hand at making some midge pupa flies and had them with me in case I saw any fish fining. When the wind would stop I started seeing rings with fins and back but no slurps. Since I already had my bobber rig set up I tied on one of my pupa bugs, set it about a foot under the indicator and started kicking towards the rings. I spent a lot of time chasing rings but when I was able to get into a good area it was game on. Casting near the feeding fish and then stripping very light short pulls would trigger strikes. If the wind picked up I wasn't able to see the fish so it was hot and heavy for a bit and then slack while I waited for the wind to stop. I spent the last couple hours doing this and was able to net several quality fish most in the 18-19 inch range. The one pic I took didn't come out to good. You have to look real close to see the size 16 translucent bug. Came in around 7:00 and headed home, all and all a great time on the water.

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      841 KB
      Views:
  2. Gregg Lundgren Now fishing on weekdays too!

N. Edmonds / Mukilteo, WA
    Ratings: +89 / 0
    Thanks for the report Steve. Nice job figuring out how to get it done!
  3. Jeff Dodd Active Member

Langley, WA
    Ratings: +390 / 0
    Steve
    Great report and I think I spotted your creation set in the jaw of that nice trout! A Fun day chasing rings and then fooling them on your own pattern.

Once this pattern is perfected, please show us a close up photo of the fly.

Thanks for the report and good you got out before the weather change
  4. Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Ratings: +208 / 0
    Always nice to try new techniques. Thanks for the report.
  5. McNasty Canyon Lurker

Somewhere Near Selah, WA
    Ratings: +448 / 1
    nice job, sounds exactly like my local lake right now. a puzzle im still trying to figure out. my best luck has been chasing rings with a size 18 griffiths gnat with a size 18 black soft hackle about 2 feet behind it.
  6. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    Ratings: +796 / 1
    Nah, we want to see it now...:D
    Mark Kraniger likes this.
  7. Islander Steve

Langley, Wa..
    It's a size 16 Rick, to small for old blind guys. Jeff might be able to see it.

Real simple pattern (the only kind I tie anymore).
    Allen N204
    Clear iridescent bead
    Olive thread
    5 or 6 strands of white Super Hair
    Cover with "hard as nails" fingernail polish.

Attached Files:

• 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      457.9 KB
      Views:
  8. Jeff Dodd Active Member

Langley, WA
    Ratings: +390 / 0
    I like it Steve. Thanks for sharing with me again... even I can tie that.

Good thing I recently got new magnifiers haha
  9. McNasty Canyon Lurker

Somewhere Near Selah, WA
    Ratings: +448 / 1
    thanks for sharing Steve. maybe i can finally piece this puzzle together with one of those.
  10. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +1,031 / 1

Interesting concept. I will give it an eastside testing when I get out next week. I like the looks of it and definitely original thinking.
  11. Wes Neuenschwander New Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    Interesting indeed. Emergences are frequently challenging as the trout can key very specifically on - what to human eyes - are insignificant or even invisible features. Probably the most important is how the emerging insect is positioned relative to the surface of the water. The surface tension is an amazingly strong film and powerful barrier to penetration, which can trap the pupae or newly formed adults below, above or half way in between. Another frequently critical feature is iridescence - especially that caused by the gas trapped under the pupal skin, generated as an buoyancy aid. (Gary LaFontaine brilliantly described this - and brilliantly capitalized on it - for caddis emergences, in his book Caddisflies).

Definitely going to give this pattern a try. One question: is the Super Hair also tied as ribbing, in addition to the tail/shuck (not quite clear to me from the pic)?
    Mark Kraniger likes this.
  12. Islander Steve

Langley, Wa..
    Yes, The super hair is tied in and then wrapped up to the bead. I twist it a bit before wrapping to make it a single strand. It is what forms the body over the thread beneath. I then cut off the remaining hair at the bend leaving a bit to stick out. Then cover the whole thing in Hard as Nails.
  13. Lue Taylor Lue Taylor/dbfly

auburn,wa
    Ratings: +83 / 10
    If you ever watch any Brian Chan tapes on tying he tells you he is tying a size 16 fly on a 14 hook or size 18 fly on a 16 hook never have a problem threading