Suggestions for Harstine Island area?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by tinman207, Aug 18, 2013.

1. tinman207

tinman207 Active Member

I am taking my family and brother's family to Harstine Island over Labor day weekend, and I am wondering what would be the best fishing to get my brother into in that area. Do the pinks run along there? Wondering if we could just get salmon from the island shore there.

2. Go Fish

Go Fish Language, its a virus

Media:
    No humpies (thank Nixon),
    very good to great SRC fishing
    with a chance at Coho.

3. tinman207

tinman207 Active Member

I have been searching around for info on fishing there, but it is pretty sparse. We will be in the private community on the northern tip. I found some info saying the eastern side of the island might fish better, but I'm not sure, as I have spent virtually no time fishing in the salt. I looking at what is near by, and looks like we could venture up to the Skokomish, but that sounds like a total zoo. Looks like I will have to study up on searun cut tactics.

4. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Go Fish nailed it - Searuns.....

I drove by the Skok on Saturday and it is a zoo. If ya like A LOT of company, and gear chuckers, go, if not find an alternative. Too windy to fish from the beach on Hood Canal on Sat. Did get a chance to sample the gin, vodka & bee's knees at the Hardware Distillery in Hoodsport - dropped a few bucks from the traveling stash. Got back to Mason Lake in time for a great dinner on the deck, and some EBB micro brews from the growlers....

MB

5. Calvin1

Calvin1 Member

Media:
    At the North Beach Picnic area is a tide flat of sorts. I think that's your best bet to cast a line inside the community itself. It's wide open and fish cruise around there. In the evenings, just after sunset, I've also seen good sized fish cruising in the water at the Marina. I haven't tried it, but I think a guy could have some luck standing on the dock, casting streamers at the pilings and jetties and stripping them back.