Suggestions for streamer flies?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Eric Reesor, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Eric Reesor

Eric Reesor New Member

Here on Vancouver Island we have a few lakes that were planted with German strain browns years ago. In a few cases a naturally reproducing population is established along with planted Cutts. Any fly tying suggestions for these fish? They mostly predated upon cray fish, leaches and fry.

The once prevalent stickle back populations of some lakes, for instance McClure, are down due to the stocking of aggressive meat eaters like Cutts and Browns so any pattern suggestions for cannibal patterns of the fry of browns or cutts would be appreciated. I intend to go up to this pond and experiment in a few weeks and don't want to use the usual but effective beak method of dropping down a power bait or trolling around a big hunk of meat on a wedding band.

Thanks
    Eric

2. Blake Harmon

Blake Harmon Active Member

I would start here.

3. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Gummy minnow for fry
    Any Gallup streamer for the crayfish and baitfish

Eric Reesor likes this.
  4. Eric Reesor

Eric Reesor New Member

The question is whether or not using eyes makes a difference. I have used muddlers to some effect but only on streams never on lakes. Am thinking about tying up some streamers in a leach like pattern to imitate cutthroat fry. Any ideas on how to put on par marks? There are reports of some fairly large browns on a few ponds and no doubt they will be piscivorous and chew on parr like mad.:)

5. Randall Clark

Randall Clark Active Member

In all honesty, I'm not convinced that specific imitations are really necessary for trout. There's a reason that Wooly Buggers work so well. I prefer more impressionistic flies that would be taken for sculpin or crayfish or leach (WB or other similar patterns--i.e. some of the Galloup patterns) or baitfish (clouser). When I'm streamer fishing in rivers, I'm also typically stripping like hell. If I'm getting follows but minimal takers, I'll throw in a pause towards the end of the strip and that will usually do the trick. I've never really noticed that pattern matters a whole lot, but size does & occasionally color (but not usually)

Eric Reesor likes this.
  6. Eric Reesor

Eric Reesor New Member

This was my thinking in the case of O. mykiss on lakes. Browns seem to be more selective in my experience. The same strain of German browns that are in the Cowichan river can be quite picky at times. It takes a certain profile of a very specific tie gold rolled muddler to talk them into chasing. A bead head is out of the question as the presentation is all wrong. So to my thinking perhaps the same presentation carefully timed for the right light conditions when the browns come shallow during low light might be the ticket.

It has been my experience that large browns can be very tricky in clear water and the lakes in question will take stealth and a knowledge of where and when the fish are predating upon fry. So a big hairy bead headed leach might not be the right choice for cruising fish, something that has a uniform sink design on a long sink leader might be the best approach?

If I get skunked I will post the results regardless.:oops:
    The aim here is the adventure not the bonk!