suggestions for the Deschutes

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by spicolli140, Mar 8, 2013.

1. spicolli140

spicolli140 New Member

I am going to be inn Redmond Oregon for a few days and was curious if any one had a suggestion concerning guided floats for steelhead. I've done some research and am aware that walk in access is limited and that warm springs is the cut off. Though i would prefer to chase some steel, I am prepared to settle for trout on the middle section. If any other out there could point me towards a guide or fly shop would be awesome. Or even teach along with someone planning on floating and has an extra seat open. Any tips are also on tactics are also welcome. This will be my first time visiting the area and may conssider moving to Bend here in the few months and get out of Everett to pursue my 2 passions, fly fishing and snowboarding. Any help is gratefully appreciated and anyone willing to show me around would also be a blessing. I am desperately trying to expand my horizons. Any where west and north of Bend, Or offers everything I'm looking for, slope and steelhead. PM me if anyone would care to shares some knowledge

2. Mossyback

Mossyback New Member

I have fished with Sam Sickles of Steelhead Outfitters numerous times on the Deschutes, and Clack. http://steelheadoutfitters.com/index.html

You will have a great time, and you will learn a lot fishing with Sam. I fish with Sam at least 4 times a year, and plan to continue to do so as I learn something new everytime. Sam is also an excellent casting coach, so if you are having any issues he can, as he would say, "fix your wagon". Good luck!

3. Jim B

Jim B Flyfishin' and homebrewin'....priorities ?

If you're gonna be in the Maupin area, check with John at Deschutes Canyon Fly Shop (on the river, not the fly shop in town)...he's been guiding and owner of his shop for over 20 years, and really knows the trout and steelhead opportunities in that stretch of the Deschutes.
    http://www.flyfishingdeschutes.com/

4. gator7354

gator7354 Member

Talk to The Patient Angler in Bend. These guys will give you an honest answer to what is, and what's not fishing in the area.
    You may want to look at fishing the Crooked River east of Bend if you want to trout fish. I fished it the last 2 days, and over 30 days since Jan 1st. If the CFS is 200 or under, you catch a lot of fish most days on the Crooked. Fish the 1st 7 or 8 miles below Prineville Res.You don't need a guide on the Crooked.
    Most people say the number of steelhead on the Deschutes was below average this year. You really want a guide if this is your 1st trip on the Deschutes and you want to catch a fish or two.
    Good luck.

5. USMC VET

USMC VET Member

Greetings from Raymond WA

I was reading your post and your comments on Crooked River East of Bend, It sounds like you might know the area so if you don't mind I would appreciate your impute.

I have been wanting to take my wife and my now young 4 adult children on sort of a mini family getaway/ fishing trip to the Deschutes, I am more interested in us catching some fish, we don't care what kind of fish it is, trout are just fine.
    I am wanting to be able to fish on our own without needing someone to guide us and since we wont have a boat being able to fish from the rivers edge or close in wearing waders is a need, maybe somewhere the locals go.

Also we would need to find lodging such as a house or motel to rent reasonably nearby our fishing area.. If you have any thoughts please share them.. Oh Yes, if we are able to all get off long enough to go that would probably be mid/late August. I know there are some well known fly shops/owners in the area but I hesitate to ask them for fear they would only suggest a guided fishing trip.. sounds great but the number in my party and my wife paying the bill for the trip we want to keep cost down and just fish .

Thank you,

6. bkerbs

bkerbs Member

I heard that Mt bachelor has some good snow right now!

7. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

What the hell is up with this? They just upgraded the BLM campground in 2011 and that area opens up miles of great walk-in access -- nearly 5 miles down to Trout Creek. Something happen to the road going in from the highway?

8. gator7354

gator7354 Member

Talk to The Patient Angler in Bend. These guys will give you an honest answer to what is, and what's not fishing in the area.
    You may want to look at fishing the Crooked River east of Bend if you want to trout fish. I fished it the last 2 days, and over 30 days since Jan 1st. If the CFS is 200 or under, you catch a lot of fish most days on the Crooked. Fish the 1st 7 or 8 miles below Prineville Res.You don't need a guide on the Crooked.
    Most people say the number of steelhead on the Deschutes was below average this year. You really want a guide if this is your 1st trip on the Deschutes and you want to catch a fish or two.
    Good luck.​
    Greetings from Raymond WA

I was reading your post and your comments on Crooked River East of Bend, It sounds like you might know the area so if you don't mind I would appreciate your impute.

I have been wanting to take my wife and my now young 4 adult children on sort of a mini family getaway/ fishing trip to the Deschutes, I am more interested in us catching some fish, we don't care what kind of fish it is, trout are just fine.
    I am wanting to be able to fish on our own without needing someone to guide us and since we wont have a boat being able to fish from the rivers edge or close in wearing waders is a need, maybe somewhere the locals go.

Also we would need to find lodging such as a house or motel to rent reasonably nearby our fishing area.. If you have any thoughts please share them.. Oh Yes, if we are able to all get off long enough to go that would probably be mid/late August. I know there are some well known fly shops/owners in the area but I hesitate to ask them for fear they would only suggest a guided fishing trip.. sounds great but the number in my party and my wife paying the bill for the trip we want to keep cost down and just fish .

Thank you,

I would be more than happy to help you in any way I can.
    If you're going to be in the area before April 20th or so I would be glad to take you fishing. I spend late April to late September guiding in northern New Mexico and southern Colorado, so I would not be much help on your summer trip. I will ask around and try to find a good place for you to stay on your trip here. Many people like to stay in the Sunriver area.
    I still think The Patient Angler in Bend would be a good source of info. This shop is different from others around here in the fact they have no guide service and are not tied in with any outfitters. I would try to speak with Peter, the owner, he's a good honest guy that, even though I'm on every guide program known to man, and spend little money in his shop he treats me very well, just like he seems to treat everyone that comes in his shop.
    The summer opens many more options for you and your family for fishing and other things to do in the area. If you would like, shoot me a email with your phone number and a good time to call and I'll try to answer any question you have.
    Good luck.

9. GAT

GAT Active Member

Geez, where to begin. The D is Oregon's most popular steelhead/trout river.

I'd check with the guys at the fly shop in Sisters. It's a small shop and doesn't push guided trips unless you want one. They are also up on all the fly fisheries in Central Oregon.

http://www.flyfishersplace.com/

There are many books in regards to The Deschutes. All of these were written by authors I know personally so I can vouch for their information.

Scott's is fairly new:

[​IMG]

Jim is up on bugs so if you're into hatches, this is the one you need:
    (obviously, you can't look inside on this site, you'd need to go to Amazon.com to do so)

[​IMG]

Dave always has good info:

[​IMG]
    A handy map:

[​IMG]

Dorylf and Nooksack Mac like this.
  10. bkerbs

bkerbs Member

I think Gene helped all future deschutes river anglers tremendously. Now do some reading, look at a map, rent a cabin and hit it up.

11. BDD

BDD Active Member

I have only fished the D once or twice but have three of the four books listed by GAT.

12. spicolli140

spicolli140 New Member

The patient angler was very helpful and accommodating. They had gear for event from wadingboots to rods. They had maps Printed out on any river or stream within 3hrs drive and extensive knowledge on whhere to access as well as tactics. I'm not very good with small flies and trout but they had me h hooked up to the point that the reason i got skunked Was myfault fdr sucking at trout fishing. I'm A steelhead chaser through and through

13. USMC VET

USMC VET Member

I would like to thank everyone who responded "all great advice" I am probably looking closer to last August or early September. My wife and I do not get out for this sort of adventure so for us it will be a fantastic time regardless we catch fish or not.. We have a fair amount of Steelhead and Salmon opportunity within minutes of our home though very tough fishing as the open spots seem to lesson with every new home/land buyer.
    To be honest, we would be happy just catching some of those redside trout?
    Ron and Angela in Raymond, WA