Summer Goal (Skating) A journal post

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Connor H, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Connor H Bobbers n Beadz

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    So here we go. Last year I had my first encounter with a steelhead while skating a dry fly. Now as summer season rolls around, my goal for the year has become hooking and landing a steelhead on a skater. I know the game includes just spending enough time behind the skater, and just sticking to your guns, but this is serious to me. Skaters are tied, scandi lines are strung up, and trips to different rivers are planned. If anyone has some last second tips and magical tricks, feel free to give me a shout, as I will be coming back to this thread with updates until it finally happens.

Schwing batta batta
    Flyborg and aplTyler like this.
  2. Klickrolf Active Member

Klickitat, Washington
    Ratings: +95 / 0
    Last second tips. Hope bonneville passage skyrockets, if not try this.
    Fish heads of pools, where the water flows together after a tailout. Don't bother with the pools or deeper runs. Head of pools and tailouts. Magical trick #1, wake a muddler in the "after-dinner mint" variety and keep fishing it until it works.
    Jim Riggins and Andrew Lawrence like this.
  3. Yard Sale Active Member

The Hood
    Ratings: +98 / 0
    All I can say is do not fear the downstream mend, especially on the second half of the swing.

Good luck dude!
  4. 1morecast Active Member

Port Angeles
    Ratings: +38 / 0
    Good luck with your quest. Just remember to let the the fish EAT IT!!!
  5. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +563 / 5
    LOL, don't drink the coolaid. Plus, once you catch one that way, hard to go back (I know personally). My buddy Paul is in same boat. You just have to commit and only do it. Leave all the other rods and flies home and just focus on that.
  6. Jamie Wilson Active Member

Arlington WA
    Ratings: +84 / 0
    Skate it then nymph it
    Head on
  7. Jamie Wilson Active Member

Arlington WA
    Excellent advice
  8. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,373 / 0
    Given your location I'm going to make the presumption that you're fishing inland rivers. If that's the case, fish skaters exclusively until the water temperatures drop below 46* F. You'll get 'em.

Sg
  9. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +533 / 0
    Back in the day, when I did a little steelhead fishing..... you've got me pumped to give it a go this year again. It's been awhile.
    Steelhead_Bee_Group.jpg
    Brian Thomas likes this.
  10. William Wallace Active Member

Graham Wa
    Ratings: +156 / 0
    Now that I will be transferring back to Washington, I will be in same boat. If I think back to all steelhead I have hooked, the majority would be a floating line and dry (skated), the other small percent is floating line but a sparsely dressed fly just under surface.

Love to see the water boil, line go tight, then the screaming of the reel! Well it is normally me screaming like a baby, but who cares.
  11. Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Quesnel, BC
    Ratings: +301 / 0
    Start with your rod tip high, and slowly lower it as the swing begins to slow it down.. as it gets past halfway move your rod tip towards the bank behind you to speed it up some if it isn't waking consistently..
  12. Jamie Wilson Active Member

Arlington WA
    Best advice for line control you're going to need with your floater.
    Feed the fly into the presentation.
  13. Paul Huston Swinger

WalkingSpeedWater, Yelm Washington
    Ratings: +18 / 0
    Right on.
    I'm all in on skaters this year to, and having a blast. Lots of troots and cuts so far. Will watch this thread, and post up when I get it done.
    Sk8 or Die!

14. orangeradish Bobo approved

Capital City
    Ratings: +460 / 0
    You'll get it done. I have a road trip planned for us this summer with that mission in mind. I have yet to land one skating, so I'm in the same boat.
  15. rory Go Outside

Maple Leaf, WA
    Ratings: +146 / 0
    You can't be so single minded (I have been told).
  16. constructeur Active Member

Seattle, Wa
    Ratings: +373 / 0
    "Knowledge without mileage is just bullshit" Henry Rollins
    Steffan Brown likes this.
  17. Sean Beauchamp Teepee Creatchin'

Shoreline, WA, U.S.
    Ratings: +369 / 1
    Don't think so much. I haven't found them to be more limiting than a floating line wet fly swing. In fact I fish a skater with more confidence. It's really really easy to talk yourself outta the dry fly. Waters too cold, suns too bright, too many people, too many boats, too many hatchery fish, this isn't "dry fly water" etc etc etc. You fish them enough and you'll see. From deep dark buck dungeons to the frothy "meringue" flats. Small flat spots and classic swing step gravel bars. I'm a believer. Always have a rod strung up and whoever gets outta the boat first puts the dry fly through. Whenever you anchor up to nymph something pitch a dry in it really quick regardless of whether it seems like a good idea or not.