Superstitions

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by shadowcast, Jul 11, 2013.

1. i find i'm unusually lucky if i just get out to fish...

2. Wow! A treasure trove of good superstitions here. I'm making a list.

Maybe I can wean some good juju out of them...

3. I believe in positive vibes. Leavin to the river on bad terms, whether it be with my job, my old lady, or some other obligation results in skunkage and a burdened mind. Steelies can detect that for sure! Do the right thing, don't ditch out on an obligation, don't leave anything hangin, make sure the bills are paid, etc... That's an everyday thing.

Other than that, certain things can just have mojo... Don't ask questions just go with it, you will know when its happening. A rod, a reel, a fly, a hat, a shirt. Anything. Just don't start talking about it as that's the fastest way to ruin a good thing.

Always be positive and have fun. Sounds stupid but even junk fishing should be fun. You don't keep casting if you aren't having fun and sometimes that's when the best fish come. Inches from defeat.

Steffan Brown and Brett Angel like this.
  4. So, yer sayin' my old lady is just trying to help me have a good fishing trip?

One confession...don't want all you yahoos using my secret good mojo fishin' trick...I always wear the same unwashed set of fishin' skivvies. I take a fall in the water most every year...but that don't count.

Steve Call and plaegreid like this.
  5. I don't like to tell people I'm going fishing because they always say "Good Luck" and I wind up getting skunked!

GBeeman

6. I'm very superstitious about not being superstitious...

[​IMG]

7. My superstition is I find I do better if I don't fall in.

8. Very well said.

9. Never respond to comments about the weather with, "At least it's not raining...."

10. How soon before fishing??

11. I thought that was the best legal way you can add scent to a fly... Just have to kiss it, amirite? The fly I mean..

12. New rod or new hat are always suspect until the first fish is landed.

Jslo likes this.
  13. Never fish from a boat that hasn't been stained with fish blood and scales, it has zero mojo. And, if you have a new boat, take it somewhere that you can hurry up and bonk a fish and cut its gills out.

A rod whose cork has never had fish blood and scales on it is an inanimate object until that magical transformation happens and it will very likely take awhile. See above solution to this scenario.

For God's sake, don't say the W-Word, especially if you're in MY boat! (Jim Wallace, that goes for you too! :D )

14. Wookie?

15. Man, if somebody posts the correct word I'm going to be pissed and wish I'd never replied to this post... ;)

Jeremy Floyd and plaegreid like this.
  16. I hate it when people say they are going to "wind" string in the boat... Jim..

Jim Speaker likes this.
  17. Yup, and I hate it when they talk about 'layin cable' in the boat too.

Jslo likes this.
  18. Well played.

19. From the sounds of it, your upper lip could legally be classified as a "scent dispenser," and you would be "in violation!" since scent is legally bait.

20. No superstitions, especially not the ridiculous banana one.