Surprise at the pond

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by troutpocket, Aug 18, 2012.

1. troutpocket Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +335 / 0
    After three years of wondering, I finally got around to launching my pontoon on the little pond behind my office. After finding a concentration of little perch, my line tightened up on the carp. 5 minutes and 50 yards down the shore later, I was surprised to find he wasn't foul-hooked. He ate the same little flashy clouser that the perch were taking. IMG_0559.JPG IMG_0568.JPG IMG_0569.JPG
    Irafly likes this.
  2. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +688 / 1
    Nice little surprise. I've been seeing lots of nice carp in our local ponds this summer. I've tossed a few likely flies within range, but got not even the slightest interest. How big was this one? It's hard to tell from the pics, but looks like a pound or two. Were you fishing a lightweight rod?
  3. troutpocket Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    I estimate he was in the 20-22" range. Plenty of tussle on my 5wt.

Attached Files:

Patrick Gould likes this.
  4. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1,087 / 1
    A carp surprise! That is awesome. Nice fishery right behind the office.
  5. triploidjunkie Active Member

Grand Coulee, WA
    Ratings: +1,332 / 0
    Makes you wonder what a thirty pounder feels like, doesn't it? That was my problem. I went after bigger and bigger carp, until my six weights just couldn't handle it anymore:)
  6. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +1,019 / 1
    I know what carp in the low 20 lbs feel like. First time I thought I was wound up in the prop. The line was flying out. We were walleye fishing on Moses and hung two carp in the low 20's. One was about 36 inches long and streamlined and the other was about 30 inches long and built like a sumo wrestler.
  7. troutpocket Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Playing that little carp on my 5wt took me back to my days as a newb on the west side when I was attempting to fly fish for chum in the Skagit and lost an entire 8wt fly line to what I assume was a foul-hooked fish. The relentless pulling . . .
  8. daveypetey Active Member

University District, Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +39 / 0
    AWESOME! Fresh water bonefish!
  9. Drifter Active Member

Ratings: +648 / 2
    You actually touched it? "ICK"
  10. troutpocket Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Come on now, Mark :) No room in your heart for carp OR bass?