Swich Rod for Trout in Montana's big Rivers

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Switch MT, May 4, 2011.

1. Hello everyone. I have spent a couple days on this sight and see that there are a lot of knowledgeable people here. I live in Montana and am going to buy a switch rod for trout fishing. I plan to only spey cast with it, but decided on the switch rod instead of spey to have a smaller D loop. I plan on nymphing a little bit with it, but am also going to swing streamers and big dries. I am looking for line recommendations as well as rod wt. recommendations. I am leaning towards a 6wt rod. I will take any advice that is offered.

Thanks,

2. Switch,

I live in the Twin Bridges, and fish with the two hander fairly often through the summer (although not enough) and would highly recommend getting either the Echo 6wt switch or the Scott A3 11' 6wt or T2h 10'8" #5. Get an Airflo Skagit Switch line in the corresponding weight, and a scandi compact for dries, and you'll be set up perfectly.

3. I have an 11' 4wt switch from mieser that is my trout rod..amazing range for casting everything from big stones to dries...and a hoot for all size fish..

A 6wt switch from most companies will be like an 8wt single so pretty big for what your using...that weight rod would make a good salmon or steelhead one out here..

My line wt on the 4wt is 300 gr. I like compac scandi's but the little cnd is also quite nice..

4. Thanks for the info. I was also curious about the Airflo Speydicator, what are your thoughts on this line?

5. I too have a Meiser that I use for trout, it's a 10'6" 3/4 and a absolute rocket. Works really well with the mendmaster line setup that Steve Godshall made for me. It's a perfect trout rod, I've used it for rainbows and browns on the Missouri from the bank as well as a boat overhanded, at the beach for sea runs and for smallmouth as well. Probably the most versitable rod line setup that I've used for what I listed.

6. I like your thinking. I just bought a Beulah Platinum Switch in a 10'4" 6wt. As golfman65 notes, that's more like a single-hand 8wt. I picked the 6wt as a pure streamer rod that would double as a pink salmon or light steelhead rod. I really like it for its intended niche in my arsenal. If you want a bit more versatility, I'd recommend a line weight lighter. It'll still sling all but the very heaviest streamers, but you'll be able to handle big dries more comfortably too.

FWIW, the Beulah Platinums are very light and can also be used single-hand nicely. I paired mine with their own short scandi line that was designed for the rod, plus Airflo poly leaders of varying densities. All of it works great together.

7. We like 4/5 switch rods for their all round versatility. A scandi head us all you will need unless your casting huge, weighted streamers a lot. We just spent 3 days dialing in our 4/5's and found that we could use as mutch as 7 feet of T-8 with unweighted streamers to get down to the depths we needed.

Jordan Simpson likes this.
  8. Thanks everyone for your responses. I realize that 6 wt switch is very heavy for trout. I am going to be fishing self tied streamers with lead bodies and eyes in the 3 to 6 inch range. The only dries this rod will see are big hoppers, stones, and salmon flies. Besides that it is a streamer rod and big nymph rod. I will also be using it on the Lower Yellowstone for smallies, walleye, and sauger. My small dry fly fishing I plan to keep using my single hand rods. I am very intrigued with a 3 wt switch though from all your responses. Has anyone heard or used the Airflo Spedicator line?

9. As far as I'm concerned... someone will almost certainly tell me I am an idiot.... the Speydicator is only really useful for what its name implies and that's using it to nymph with a 2-handed rod but as far as throwing any kind of meaningful streamer with the line that will not happen. If you want to throw the big flies you stated before I would stick with your 6wt switch and get a Skagit setup in the range of 350 to 400 grains and the appropriate sink tip setup of your choice. For simplicities sake the light Rio MOW tips are a good choice but they are expensive... as in $150.00 kind of expensive but they work well for sustained anchor casting and throwing big flies.

10. Ian, thanks so much. I have heard mixed reviews about the speydicator. I think I will just have to get two spools, one with the speydicator and one with running line and a couple heads, a skagit for sure. I appreciate everyones help.

11. I saw footage of Ed Ward doing the alaska rainbow thing with a switch. He had the trout thing down pretty well. In other words he wasn't steelheading for trout. He was trout fishing with it. Might want to search Ed Ward Switch rod on YOutube and see his approach.

12. I have had the fortune to cast many switch rods. Cost wise I love my reddington 6wt best. It can be cast as a spey and also is a great single hand casting tool. If you are living next to winston? I'd hope that you can try one of there's. Out of my price range anymore, yet great rods. I'm lucky enough to have been the chef in 1994 when Winston had a lodge on the beaver head, so I was able to get a few im6 rods that I love. I know many great guides that promote switch rods for trout and I'm a firm believer in this. It sure helps when your on the stream for a long day.

13. I'd look at the batson (featherstix) 5 wt. switch rod the beulah 4/5 or the meisers I have a beulah 5/6 and a batson 5 and both are sweet trout sticks but the batson is a heck of a lot lighter

14. I think there is quite a bit of difference in 6wt switch rods based on the grain weight windows provided for each manufacturer. Sage Z Axis 6wt (275 to 475), Orvis ZG Helios (280 to 375), TFO Deer Creek (300 to 500) and Echo (330 to 390). There are a lot more out there but I have these numbers at hand. Some of those windows go pretty high for trout, even very large trout. Going down lower could bring you into better feeling trout fishing. I like the taper and integrated running lines of the Airflo 40+ lines for overhead, two handed and single handed casting. It does not do any of those perfectly but because it can do each of them pretty well I like those lines. If you are tossing larger streamers and need more turnover power, cut back the tip by 3-5' and you get more energy tranfer to turn over larger flies. Good luck and let us know what you decide and how it works.

15. I got a 10'8 5/6 4pc switch from Gary Anderson (ACR) for a trip to Arkansas and big browns. Although the water levels/weather did not cooperate, the rod exceeded my expectations and was a steller performer. Perhaps you may want give him a call and have a chat with him.
    Contact Steve Godshall for the perfectly matched line.

16. I did watch Ed Ward, that was awesome, thanks so much for the recommendation.

17. I appreciate everyone's help. There is a lot of information to read and understand when going from single hand to two hands. All of you have helped me out very much. Once I get the rod I will give an update of how well it works. It wont be till August but I will keep you all posted. I have decided to get a 6 wt Echo. I got to fish that rod this weekend and love it. I swung a huge streamer and tied into a 28" brown. It was a great fight and feel. I was amazed at how the rod fought the fish. I will really have to work on my spey casting though. Thanks again everyone.

18. Zaxis 6wt with a 375 skagit and light mow tips, 5wt tcx with a 350 skagit flight, 6wt tcx 375 skagit short or 400 flight, burkie 5115 with a 375 flight. All will do everything you want and I have fished them all. I just spent three days in Craig fishing the 5wt TCX and I could cast home tied exaspirators with a 350 skagit flight and 10' of T8. Loved it

I use mono running line on all my light rods

19. I appreciate your info. I agree a 6 wt is a little heavy but I throw huge weighted streamers, I would love to be able to go with a higher end rod but I just can't afford it right now. I am trying to keep the whole set up under 650 dollars. If I had my choice I would go with a Winston or Scott. After this last weekend I am sure there will be more two handers coming in the future. I would love a really light wt for dry flying.

20. Well the good news is that a 6, or even my 5/6/7 Beulah, is plenty light in the tip, and so long that even 12 inch fish are still "fun" if you want to use that word. A six would be a great "first switch" for anybody.