Take your kids fishing!

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by ray@montanariverlodge, Jul 16, 2014.

1. The best idea is to take the kids fishing! We headed for a high lake about two or three miles off the end of a rough track requiring four wheel drive. Had a terrific hike and returned from the too-shallow fishless lake about three-thirty. The chevy started fine, but when I dropped it into drive, nothing! After several tries, I realized we were stuck. I checked the time and realized that my oldest son, a miler and cross-country runner in his junior year of high school, had just barely enough time to jog the seven or eight miles to the main gravel forest service road, hopefully catch a ride the remaining ten miles to the highway, get to the nearest town another seven miles away, and catch the only tow service before they closed. Simple!
    Well, about six-thirtyish here comes the tow truck. Yep, my brains and my kid's brawn did the trick. So the truck driver walks over and says "lets take a look" or some technical investigative comment like it. "Hey buddy" says the mechanical genius, "did you notice the transfer case shift lever was in neutral? I said "Aaaahhhhh" or something equally intelligent.
    So, haven't been able to get the kids to go fishin' again, but that little trick can work at least once!

2. RogueBum

RogueBum Spey casting for Steelies year round

Nice! I'll try that with my 9 year old daughter. I'll need to come up with a different excuse though... I already know how to work my 4 wheel drive ;)