Tarpon Flies

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Chris Johnson, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Bellingham Wa.
    Ratings: +324 / 1
    I'll be going to Nicaragua in a month, the last week we will be on and around the Rio San Juan. I was wondering if anyone had some tarpon patterns for me. There are also Rainbow Bass and Snook, any tips would help. thanks

Chris
  2. Whitey Active Member

Far side of the moon
    Ratings: +185 / 0
    The number one tarpon fly seems to be the gummy fly. However, my all time favorite is Black Death.
    Chris Johnson likes this.
  3. Runejl Josh

Bellingham, Washington
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    Hey Uncle Chris, I have a box of flies you can take down.
  4. hookedonthefly Active Member

Ratings: +121 / 0
    Ahhh.....you're stoked! Tarpon discussions over a cold one. I have some flies too.
    Ed
  5. Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Bellingham Wa.
    Far out man!
  6. BN2FSH New Member

Ratings: +4 / 0
    I have fished tarpon a lot in Belize and fly selection is highly influenced by water conditions (clarity and depth), and what the tarpon are doing (feeding on small baitfish, cruising, hanging out in the deeps, or feeding in turbid freshwater rivers and lagoons), and also size of the fish (monsters to babies). can you provide any more info on where you will be fishing? If not, I will just provide some advice based on my experience on what flies you might try. I fish all over and there is nothing like poon for excitement.
  7. Whitey Active Member

Far side of the moon
    I leave for Belize next Tuesday. I've fished all over, this trip is cay caulker and placencia. Been to both before, but last time I got skunked, so I'm hoping to regain my dignity. Best part of that trip, my wife caught a bunch of fish. True story.
  8. Greg Armstrong Active Member

Pugetropolis
    Ratings: +359 / 0
    Chris,

I'm no expert, but a Cockroach worked well on 12-15 Lb. Tarpon in Mexico for me a few years ago. A bunch of fun they were!

Also, on the Snook. Practice shotgunning sidearm casts under the low to the water mangroves you'll likely be casting into.
    Inches count, as does precise accuracy into the openings - under and in between the branches and twigs.

Have fun.
    Duane J likes this.
  9. BN2FSH New Member

Ratings: +4 / 0
    Who are you fishing with in Placencia? That is where I go, but we fish from Tobacco Caye all the way south to Punta Gorda.
  10. Whitey Active Member

Far side of the moon
    Benjy. He was recommended to us from many people. Last time we stayed at whipray caye and fished with Julian Cabral.
  11. Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Bellingham Wa.
    BN2FSH, I will be fishing in the Rio San Juan which drains out of Lake Nicaragua. I've been to the lakes North end but never the south( the outlet).
    @ the north end the water is colored. Some of the things I've read say the fish are 90# + so I would guess the are mature fish.
  12. Citori Piscatorial Engineer

Federal Way, WA
    Ratings: +121 / 0
    My experience with tarpon flies has been kind of along the lines of a bloody pork chop in front of a hungry mountain lion in an empty parking lot. Tarpon are eaters, and if you get it in front of them, it really doesn't matter what color, they will eat. Flies I have used are cockroaches or a big ass hook, wrapped shank and a half dozen hackle feathers tied to it. I have fished Belize, Bay of Ascencion and Homosassa in the gulf. All clear water and sight fishing/casting. That's all the experience I can give you. Get it in front of them, strip, wait until you feel them (you will try to take it away from them when you see that big mouth open and go for the goods) and strike by stripping, not with the rod. Then hold on...
    Duane J likes this.
  13. Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Bellingham Wa.
    Citori, thanks for the info. I have heard about the strip set, it remains to be seen whether I have the self restraint to wait. I sure hope I get the chance to find out.
  14. Chucker Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    Watch the movie "Tapam" before you go. It will show you just how picky river tarpon can be. And start practicing your strip set now, until it's the only way you can set a hook on a fish! They aren't trout...
  15. plaegreid Saved by the buoyancy of citrus

Renton, WA
    Ratings: +759 / 0

6083-omg.gif
  16. Jason Rolfe Wanderer

the beach
    Ratings: +373 / 0

God. I'm glad somebody went there. Thank you (seriously) for putting that together. We all need a little humbling now and then.

J
    plaegreid likes this.