Teton Valley, Idaho

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by Dan Nelson, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Dan Nelson

Dan Nelson Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum

If you haven't been there, put in on your "to do" list. Damn! What a place.

Last week I had a chance to visit Victor, Idaho, with Donna. The focus was fishing. A day of guided fishing on Teton River, another on the lower Henry's Fork, and the last on the South Fork Snake. WOW! We barely touched the available water around this valley and still we averaged something like 15+ fish each per day (well, the Teton was a little slower, but we also were only on the river for 3 hours).

Teton Valley (Victor and Driggs are the primary towns) is a great destination for anglers and their families, with great fishing well into October. We hit the valley during a cold spell -- overnight temps were well below 20-degrees each night and day temps hovered around 48- to 50-degrees. Caught fish on prince nymphs, egg-sucking leaches and tiny dries (#20 BWOs and #22PMDs). Biggest was around 21" and average size was probably 13".

The Valley also offers great cast-and-blast options, since it is a great grouse area (though we weren't hunting we did see quite a few sharp-tailed grouse). Ducks are also thick throughout the season.

I'll have a full story published on my site (adventuresnw.net) soon, but for now, here's a few pics of part of our catch, including rainbows, browns and even Yellowstone cutts -- native to the South Fork. The guides pictured holding a couple of my fish are from Teton Valley Lodge out of Driggs and WorldCast Anglers out of Victor (and Driggs). We stayed at the Teton Springs Resort -- damn fine accommodates in Victor!

Teton Valley_2012  010.jpg Teton Valley_2012  011.jpg Teton Valley_2012  012.jpg Teton Valley_2012  013.jpg Teton Valley_2012  014.jpg Teton Valley_2012  015.jpg Teton Valley_2012  016.jpg Teton Valley_2012  018.jpg

2. Builder

Builder Member

Shhhh.....;) Great report Dan. I hit a couple tribs down there this summer.
    Awesome place with some pretty fair cutts.

3. The Duke

The Duke Been around

Thanks for the report. Nice fish!!! A nice new addition to the continuously being added to "to do" list.

4. I lived in Victor from 1975-1982. Quite a different place back then. Pupulation 214; our house with 3 climbing bums, and another couple up the street who were a school teacher and a bee keeper, were the only non-Mormon residences in town. Outside of town it was just ranches and farms; virtually no commercial resorts and certainly no fly shops or lodges. I wasn't into fly fishing then, unfortunately (although I understand that fishing has improved there in some ways since then), but, my of my, the endless untouched powder on Teton Pass, the jump shooting for ducks down along the river, the ready access to the mountains, and, not to forget, the Knaughty Pine bar on mainstreet, where we would drink with the jack mormons!

Those were the days...

D

Nooksack Mac likes this.