The 7400 Bridge Rd. Gate

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Befishin, May 16, 2013.

1. Befishin

Befishin Member

Yep, for you guys that like to have access at the 7400 bridge on the Wynoochee, there is a brand new, shine gate out by the highway. I don't think they put it there for decoration. Gate.JPG

2. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Since it's not blue, I assume it's not DNR. Gonna' be some sad steelheaders if that gate is locked.

Sg

3. Shad

Shad Active Member

NOT GOOD.

4. Jamie Wilson

Jamie Wilson Active Member

how far is the walk?

5. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

I think it's over one mile and less than two.

Sg

6. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

It's a Weyerhauser gate I may have an in. :)

7. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

What does the sign read?

8. Jamie Wilson

Jamie Wilson Active Member

that will lessen the crowds

9. Befishin

Befishin Member

The walk is 2.78 miles, and that gets you to the bridge then the hike really starts.

10. Befishin

Befishin Member

It's a green dot Green-Diamond sign, i.e. good for now. I'm sure the guy that swings the gate closed will also change that dot from green to red.

11. Porter

Porter Active Member

Green Diamond Resource Company.... I always thought they were a california company, but actually headquatered in Seattle.

12. Porter

Porter Active Member

Just googled the company...formly Simpson's. I remember Simpson's in WA, did not know they changed their name to Green Diamond Resource Company. So now what? They start to sell limited permits to allow access?

13. SOPoker

SOPoker Banned or Parked

I know someone that swings with keys to that new gate and he has assured me he will make sure I can get up there anytime I would like too. But what prevents people with helicopters from just flying over those gates ? It seems like they are just blocking access to the 99% lower class.... I say Occupy the Nooch.

wlai likes this.
  14. Shad

Shad Active Member

After thinking about it, I'm not quite as concerned as I was initially. Most of the private roads that are open to the public up there have gates at the points of entry that are almost never closed. Yes, it seems an odd practice to install a gate that might not be used, but it could be a measure they take to make it a quick job to close an area should the owners decide to do so.

In the meantime, as long as we are still allowed entry, let's bear in mind the reasons why such areas are most often closed by timber companies: littering and abuse/theft of the resources. If you see some jackass littering or otherwise abusing the land, remind him that our access to the area is conditional on our good behavior. Then, hope, against all odds, that he listens.

15. Greg Holt

Greg Holt Active Member

Way to go Shad,
    Dispensing common sense. The (open) gate is a symbol of privileges that may be revoked, and those who pass should act appropriately.

Jim Wallace likes this.
  16. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Why not report them to the property owner and the authorities?

Jim Wallace likes this.
  17. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

I think they are going to lock up a lot access gates and start charging fees for entry

18. nomlasder

nomlasder Active Member

Fire might be a reason to control access

19. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

According to timber companies gates happen for three reasons: theft at logging sides, vandalism at logging sides and eleswhere, and dumping, not minor littering, but truckload sized dumping that all too often has included hazardous materials that the company is then on the hook to clean up. Much as I hate gates, it's hard to argue with that reasoning.

Sg

Jim Wallace likes this.
  20. Peyton00

Peyton00 Active Member

7400 is my takeout. it would be a looooong float down to white bridge from my starting point if this gate is closed. Then with the scooter ride back up...... YIKES!