The Deschutes (last clip for many moons)

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by GAT, Mar 2, 2014.

1. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

I figured out some short-cuts I can use the with the film editing program so I can toss these things together quite quickly. This will be the last clip for I-don't-know-how-long. The remainder of my photos are bits and pieces from all over so I no longer have a "theme".

So... last one until I can figure out how to tie another clip togther... which may be never.

Some folks love The Deschutes but honestly, it isn't one of my favorite rivers. I've fished it quite a lot when the gang and I were still fishing moving water but unless you float it, the popular walk-in access points can get crowded these days.

It is Oregon's only blue ribbon trout fishery and the redsides do grow fairly large. Lower river is wide, fast and can be intimidating. Someone once gave me advice to overcome the size of the river. He told me to divide the river up in my mind so it becomes small sections. Fish the small sections and ignore the rest of the river. I do. And it does work.

Fortunately the trout are keen to hang out under the over-hanging bank vegetation so you really don't need to wade far from shore.

This clip moves along and is about 7 minutes long.

Cheers!

(BTW: you may notice that some of the caught trout shots show a small egg pattern in the mouth. We found that if we timed our fishing trips to when the whitefish spawn, all we had to do was find spawning whitefish and the redsides were waiting for the eggs directly downstream. Whitefish are broadcast spawners so the eggs are easy pickings for the trout. Whitefish eggs are of course quite small and normally a pale yellow in color... FYI)

2. Patrick Allen

Patrick Allen Active Member

Some nice fish. The island out from Meca flats should be a Deschutes landmark

3. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

That's where Gin caught her redside... that's also where I had a brief non-encounter with a rattlesnake. I was sitting on the shore and watching Gin fish when I noticed the weeds were moving. ...it was a rattlesnake on its way to somewhere.

I quickly got up and moved the dog down into the river... fortunately she loved the water. I was most worried about her getting bit. While standing in the river with our dog, I watched the snake as it slid along its merry way... I don't think it ever saw us.

4. Randall Clark

Randall Clark Active Member

Media:
    cool video Gene...cool rig early on as well...

it's funny, Even the times I've been there and it's really been busy, it's still relatively easy to find good water because the majority of the folks I see fishing it aren't fishing the right water anyway (or at least are overlooking some very productive water)...that river will always be a special place for me.
    Cheers,
    Randy

5. Patrick Allen

Patrick Allen Active Member

Gene, I was lucky enough only to run into bull snakes but they still scared the bejesus out of me. They were big too.

6. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Nice pictures. The pictures move along quite nicely. Just one question. Is all you catch out of that river, Rainbows ??

7. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Redbands, whitefish, salmon, steelhead. That's all that is supposed to be in the river.

Waaaaaaaaayyyyyy upstream, in the Middle and Upper Deschutes you'll find browns but not in the lower Deschutes... at least not when I was fishing it.

8. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Randy, that vehicle was the most uncomfortable vehicles I've ever ridden in. If you didn't have a back problem before you rode in that thing to and from the Deschutes from The Valley, you would by the end of the day.

I think the folks who came up with the seat design of that Subaru were the same folks who thought up water boarding.

Rocky (his rig) liked it because of the good MPG... that was the vehicle's only redeeming feature. The thing had the speed of a banana slug. I remember driving up one minor hill and we were passed by a heavy weight guy riding a Moped.

9. Randall Clark

Randall Clark Active Member

Media:
    lol...it's part of the Deschutes journey...