The Earth Is Bleeding...

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by dryflylarry, May 14, 2010.

1. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    What is today, day 84? 85? Maybe today is a day to be optimistic? Now if this holds I'd really like to see the follow up action plan.

2. Go Fish

Go Fish Language, its a virus

Media:
    I'm waiting for FU427BFD to say something
    about what a wonderful job BP did and what
    great enviromentalists they are.

3. Trent

Trent Ugly member

Of course...I mean with Big Brother and BP controlling what the media or citizens can report and see (blocking videos and photos), he will have nothing but positive articles to use for his points.

4. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    If I calculated this modestly, the estimate of the oil spilled for 85 days is easily 20 times that of the Exxon Valdez in Alaska. (which was almost 11 million gallons I believe) bawling:bawling:bawling:bawling:bawling:bawling:bawling:

The number I came up with is 214,200,000 gallons based on 60,000 barrels per day.

5. AvianQuest

AvianQuest Member

Home Page:
    Thad Allen is now retired from the Coast Guard and thus can't be in uniform. He volunteered to stay on in a civilian capacity until the oil is recovered.

6. AvianQuest

AvianQuest Member

Home Page:
    I only wish the news media would be as protective of the 2nd Amendment as they are of the 1st. It's not a buffet where you can pick and choose what you believe in. Without the 2nd, the 1st would soon be lost.

There has to be some limits on the media. They can't be allowed to run into burning buildings or to get in the way of firefighters for example.

Many members of the media have behaved like absolute idiots by getting in the way of cleanup operations, and even dumping sludge on clean beaches to make their own news stories. The restriction was to keep back 65 feet, which is certainly not an issue with a telephoto lens. This has since been eased for members of the news media that don't have a history of using "throw down birds", etc. to get a story.

By the way, if you would like to view the true extent of the oil spill as of 7-15-10, it's shown in purple...

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff117/AvianQuest/Data/Extent7-15-10.jpg

7. Split Bamboo

Split Bamboo Member

Media:
    The press is only protective of one part of the First Amendment! Good info thanks AvianQuest.

8. FE427TP

FE427TP The Great Sage

Politics put aside, thank God they finally got it stopped!

9. Ed Call

Media:
    Now they need to cement that thing shut solid and not mess around and break off something else. I wonder how long the clean up effort will take before they call it "good".

10. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

Media:
    http://www.ifitwasmyhome.com/

Found that link from an NPR story a few days back, if you enter your location it shows you how big the spill is in comparison to your region.

11. Split Bamboo

Split Bamboo Member

Media:
    "Vital warning systems on the Deepwater Horizon oil rig were switched off at the time of the explosion in order to spare workers being woken by false alarms, a federal investigation has heard.

The evidence of deliberate dilution of the rig's safety mechanisms is likely to have wide ramifications for BP and Transocean, the world's largest offshore drilling company. It switches the spotlight of blame away from BP and towards the subcontractor which took the decisions."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/jul/23/deepwater-horizon-oil-rig-alarms

More and more facts will come to light as time passes. Lets hope if any negligence and 'dereliction of duties' exists, those responsible will be held accountable.

12. salmonslug

salmonslug Streamside in the Gorge

13. Ed Call

Media:
    I'd like to buy her a beer, just not while cutting class at booming school.

14. FE427TP

FE427TP The Great Sage

On a brighter note.... and no, it's not Fox news saying this. No oil on Florida's beaches, no oil on Alabama's beaches, the oil in Lake Pontchartrain appears gone... the Lake Pontechartrain Basin Foundation says it'll take 3 years to even see if there will be any significant ecological impact, no oil is showing up in the loop current. While still bad the sky has not fallen like some predicted.
    http://abcnews.go.com/WN/bp-oil-spill-crude-mother-nature-breaks-slick/story?id=11254252

The Text:

For 86 days, oil spewed into the Gulf of Mexico from BP's damaged well, dumping some 200 million gallons of crude into sensitive ecosystems. BP and the federal government have amassed an army to clean the oil up, but there's one problem -- they're having trouble finding it.

At its peak last month, the oil slick was the size of Kansas, but it has been rapidly shrinking, now down to the size of New Hampshire.

Today, ABC News surveyed a marsh area and found none, and even on a flight out to the rig site Sunday with the Coast Guard, there was no oil to be seen.
    "That oil is somewhere. It didn't just disappear," said Plaquemines Parish President Billy Nungesser.

Salvador Cepriano is one of the men searching for crude. Cepriano, a shrimper, has been laying out boom with his boat, but he's found that there's no oil to catch.

"I think it is underneath the water. It's in between the bottom and the top of the water," Cepriano said.

Even the federal government admits that locating the oil has become a problem.

"It is becoming a very elusive bunch of oil for us to find," said National Incident Cmdr. Thad Allen.

Skimmers Pick Up Less Oil

The numbers don't lie: two weeks ago, skimmers picked up about 25,000 barrels of oily water. Last Thursday, they gathered just 200 barrels.

Still, it doesn't mean that all the oil that gushed for weeks is gone. Thousands of small oil patches remain below the surface, but experts say an astonishing amount has disappeared, reabsorbed into the environment.

"[It's] mother nature doing her job," said Ed Overton, a professor of environmental studies at Louisiana State University.

The light crude began to deteriorate the moment it escaped at high pressure, and then it was zapped with dispersants to speed the process along. The oil that did make it to the ocean's surface was broken up by 88-degree water, baked by 100-degree sun, eaten by microbes, and whipped apart by wind and waves.

Experts stress that even though there's less and less oil as time goes on, there's still plenty around the spill site. And in the long term, no one knows what the impact of those hundreds of millions of gallons will be, deep in the waters of the Gulf of Mexico.

E.T.A. now with video http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/gulf-oil-happening-water-disapearing-shrinking-slick-bp-spill-11201050

15. Go Fish

Go Fish Language, its a virus

Media:
    200 million gallons of crude that they can't find it, I guess
    that means ......
    !) it never happened
    2) the head of BP sucked it up with a straw
    3) microbes ate 200 million gallons of crude (time for a diet you chubby microbes!)
    4) jimmy swaggert was involved

Dave

16. Ed Call

Media:
    They did gather the local residents, fishing guides, beach lovers and even government officials for routine prayers. Maybe someone was listening.

17. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Media:
    :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

At least he's looking in the right place for the oil.

18. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    "The light crude began to deteriorate the moment it escaped at high pressure, and then it was zapped with dispersants to speed the process along. The oil that did make it to the ocean's surface was broken up by 88-degree water, baked by 100-degree sun, eaten by microbes, and whipped apart by wind and waves."

And the GOP said, "Let us pray. Let there be clean air, no water pollution, and no global warming... and it was so"....

19. mr. bad example

mr. bad example Member

personally i'd like to forcefeed the contents of fu427's crankcase into fu and watch him disperse it.........and deteriorate........

20. Split Bamboo

Split Bamboo Member

Media:
    I know I have commented on this thread about the problems with rushing to judgment, as mistakes can be made....

So guess who will be paying for half of the $20 Billion BP put into the escrow account to pay for damages? You and me! BP will write off the expense, and receive a $9.9 billion dollar tax credit. Hopefully Obama didn't sign some type of release with them after the agreement was made.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/bp-taking-10-billion-tax-credit-from-spill-2010-07-27?siteid=yhoof

:beathead: