The fortune cookie has spoken.

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Danielocean, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Vladimir Steblina

Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Good choice.

When I told my wife I was getting a PAC 9000 she asked why it was so expensive.

Quality was my answer. At my advanced age, saving my butt has become a lot more expensive and important to me. She just stood there thinking and then asked if we still had life insurance on me. That cinched the deal when she found out I was worth more alive than dead to her.

2. Danielocean

Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Thought about that. LOL

3. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

Maybe a Mediterranean cruse on an Italian liner? Or a Gulf of Mexico cruse with Carnival? How much fun can one have?

4. Jim Paget

Jim Paget Active Member

I had a friend who used to say that the secret to a successful marriage is to set the bar artificially low. Unfortunately his behavior passed under that bar.

hookedonthefly and Kent Lufkin like this.
  5. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

I have rowed both of those boats in rivers, nice options. I have a few boats in my driveway, garage, shed and elsewhere, this is true. If there is any benefit in checking out boats that I have before you buy, let me know. I do not have a boat problem, except for the fact that the undisclosed number of boats that I have is too small!

I think that going with a 9' boat is about the minimum if you intend on rowing rivers that get a bit splashy. 10' becomes better for those that get sketchy or technical. 9' is easily fin kicked allowing for hands fishing instead of rowing. 10' and larger may be too much craft mass to fin kick comfortably until you get used to it. I do have a 12' boat that allows me to sit very close to the water line to fin kick, then higher to row.

There is no one perfect boat, your fortune did read BOATS!

6. hookedonthefly

hookedonthefly Active Member

"I had a friend who used to say that the secret to a successful marriage is to set the bar artificially low. Unfortunately his behavior passed under that bar. "

Fine wine, flowers and paying attention to the important stuff might raise that artificially low bar to end up where it's all good. It remains all about communication. Changing the pitch of the roof on the remodel; now, that's a really low bar to compete with. Where's my cocktail.

I digress...good choice on the boat, Daniel. It will serve you well. Stay safe out there.
    Cheers,
    Ed

7. Danielocean

Your killin me Mr Call. I am so damn back and forth between the 10 ft and 9ft thing its not even funny. Really want to make sureni spend my money right.

8. Danielocean

All I know is I will be on the skykomish yakima and maybe the skagit. Don't see myself ever going to the op with the boat.

9. hookedonthefly

I think you'll find the 10' is still way too small. 14'er with flyfishing frame or drift boat comes to mind.

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  10. Danielocean

Ed how about I give you my card number and u order whater you think I need and ill just be surprised when it gets delivered. Actually scratch that. I don't want to see a bayliner in my front yard.

11. Ed Call

Well then, go about the process right.
    What will you use the boat for the most? Stillwater, class II rivers, class III to III+ rivers? What is the normal gradient, flow and technicality of the rivers you expect to fish? How good are you at rowing in those locations? Are you certain you want a framed boat? Heavier, more difficult to set up and break down if that is a factor, but transfer rowing energy better. Would frameless suit your needs? Lighter, more easily fin kicked, slightly less responsive to rowing energy. Will you fish mostly alone? Do you want a craft capable of taking along a friend that can continually make you row whilst farming fish, who will then row a bit all over the place whilst you cast and he criticizes your every move? Will you fish on your feet and float point to point? Will you float and fish at the same time? So many variables. There is no one perfect boat, so you will need a bigger garage, shed and driveway...and your house is going to be full of new couches!

Or you can just say, I'm getting a PAC 900 or 900 IR and call it good. There are many here who will offer up reasons why they went in one direction or another, calibrating you to their rowing experience and history of crafts they have had...including those they've loved and hated.

The end result is you have a boat, and can reach places you could not before.

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  12. Ed Call

Keep your card close to the vest. I have a Bayliner too.

13. Danielocean

Thanks Mr Call

14. hookedonthefly

Index to Big Eddy.

15. Danielocean

See I don't even know what class 2 is or any of that kind of vocabulary. What class is the skykomish?

16. Ed Call

What's with this Mr. stuff? I keep looking around to see who you are talking too.

First boat, tough choice. You will enjoy it and then will wonder what boat you will need to get next.

Kent's suggestion on buying used is wise, like buying a new car versus a nicely cared for used or lease return. Don't rush. Scour all the craigslist ads from here to Montana. When you find the right boat, know you may be up for a fun road trip and fish your way back home.

Ask all the questions you may have about boats that you may think best for your needs. So many helpful folks here will chime in and offer their wisdom. That is how I became an inflatable boat owner, and that started the affliction.

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  17. Ed Call

18. hookedonthefly

Daniel,
    Look somebody up that teaches running/rowing rivers. Shane Turnbull on the Sky at Chinook Expeditions is a super good dude; and, a pioneer in running rivers in Washington State. You might get connected with Capt. Ron. There are a number of whitewater outfitters that teach rowing/paddling. Wet Planet is another good outfitter.

Whether it's the Yak, Sky, Skagit/Sauk, things can go super sideways quickly. It is a big world out there and if you get going faster than 5mph, bad shit can happen. LEARN TO RESEARCH THE RIVER YOU"RE RUNNING, LEARN TO SCOUT and LEARN TO MOVE YOUR BOAT! Yes, I'm yelling.

It's a fun gig; but, never turn your back on Mother Nature.
    Ed

Ed Call likes this.
  19. Danielocean

Hell yes.

20. hookedonthefly

It appears you're in Monroe. Give Shane at Chinook Expeditions a call. They have some creative training sessions. Show up and hang around. You will learn more than you ever imagined about running rivers. Good people. Most whitewater guides/outfitters really like beer; and, that can help you quickly become less of a pain in the neck.

Not all whitewater outfitters are the same. There are some to avoid.

If you have questions, shoot me a pm.
    Ed

Ed Call likes this.