The forum rules regarding political discussions

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Chris Scoones, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Chris Scoones

Chris Scoones Administrator Staff Member

Need to air something so my approach is known and a warning makes it out to everyone.

There has been an ongoing test against my set rules regarding political discussions on the site. That's a test of will that has to come to a head.

Recently one of our long time members who has been considerably active on this site got a straight up warning from me. One more time with the political discussions, be it obvious or subtle, and he's kicked. Now you others who also have a tendency to start or participate in these types of discussions should be warned that if I'm prepared to ban a guy who I actually like and who has been an active member here for a very long time you might reconsider testing that rule further yourself. The aforementioned test of will coming to a head should mean to you, in this case, that I'm prepared to thin the herd in making my point.

Now for the rule. "Political discussions have no place on the board unless it's in direct relation to the impact of a fishery." Simple enough I think.

The reason this is set is that way back when all Not-Fishing-Related topics were supported politics was a hot topic that frequently crashed the atmosphere of the board. It triggered me making an all NFR sub-forum, moving everything NFR into it and saying good riddance. Not so fast, unfortunately. The political discussion in the NFR area got pretty heated and along the way quite a few people were pissed at each other. The NFR forum's negative tone from the in-fighting there starting spilling over onto the rest of the site. It was then up to me to clean things up. Cleaning things up in a situation like that, by the way, equates to 50+ personal messages to individuals, not just some single blanket post to knock it off.

So I'm not going there again because I like the tone of the site now. I like that, save for the occasional oddball, the mods don't have to worry about bad attitudes on the site. For those that joined the site since all that described crap happened, now you have some history of why the rule is in place and why I have a vested interest in enforcing it.

Thanks for hearing me out.

Chris Scoones
    WFF

2. PT

PT Physhicist

^^^

3. Greg Price

Greg Price Love da little fishies

Hi Chris,

How long ago did the political crap raise it's ugly head?

4. golfman44

golfman44 Coho Queen

OBAMA!

this is a great rule tho politics on the internet sucks

5. Good on ya, Chris.
    D

6. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

Well done, Chris. That stuff definitely takes away from the atmosphere.

7. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith Active Member

I appreciate you taking the time to keep this site going. I have been on some other boards that let political ranting turn the place to crap, and gun debates, abortion, immigration, whatever it is people love to argue about, have steered me away. I am really happy to spend way too much of my free time reading all the great posts on WFF.

8. Kaiserman

Kaiserman content

add wolves to the list... :p

9. Ron McNeal

Ron McNeal Turtles or universes? I can't decide....

Yes!! And thanks.

10. jersey

jersey livin' the dream

But, Interweb arguments are intellectually stimulating..

10-4 Chris and thanks for your time and effort!

11. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

Even though this is a fly fishing site. There are a few posts that are definitely "Baiting" and a lot of us just can't seem to resist live bait.
    Warning has been read and will be heeded.
    Thanks Chris.

12. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Good on you Chris! Ya can't even turn on the TV nowadays without hearing guys with the IQ of a sea cucumber trying to make political hay out of issues that are perfectly logical and straight forward to those of us who actually have lives. It's nice to get that crap off of here.

Ive

13. pcknshvl

pcknshvl Member

Chris, why not open an "NFR" forum? I visit another board that has a place specifically for off-topic stuff, keeping it out of discussions where it doesn't belong. And it's a place to move discussions to from other forums, if they get out of hand.

14. can we still talk about heavi-beads?

15. Sea cucumbers of the world resent this accusation!

16. This thread ought to have a sticky, at least for a while.

17. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

I enjoy the fact that this site is a place to get away from politics and other bothersome parts of life. In that way it is like flyfishing.

Sometimes I'd rather not know someones politics. That way I can keep from wanting to throat punch them. It makes me a happier person.

Go Sox,
    cds

18. The last two paragraphs of his post explain why.

19. Kaiserman

Kaiserman content

You're just in a good mood cause of those SOX!

20. John Weston

John Weston Member

thanks Chris
    JW