The forum rules regarding political discussions

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Chris Scoones, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

We already have a NFR here. We use it to talk about Non Fishing related subjects. But not politics. There is no place for politics here.

Enough said.

Olive bugger and Steve Call like this.
  2. John Weston

John Weston Member

Right on Old Man.
    JW

3. pcknshvl

pcknshvl Member

Hah! What a lazy dumb-ass I am. Teach me to RTFP all the way through.

4. Jamie Wilson

Jamie Wilson Active Member

you'll probably be OK

5. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Darn it!

6. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

Thanks Chris!

7. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

I was a fairly new Mod back then. That forum was a friggin nightmare! Chris is spot on. It caused nothing but hard feelings, and those who were fighting in the NFR forum came onto the main forum and brought it with them. People don't seem to realize how much work it causes us (since we're all volunteers) when these threads come up. The amount of reports and complaints is staggering.

8. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Chris. You forced me to LIKE your post. If members don't come here for the fly fishing chatter, seeking conflict through political discussions, they are in the wrong place to start with. There are countless political machine sites. There is only ONE Washington Fly Fishing.

Jim Wallace likes this.
  9. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

That's the part that surprises me. I can't fathom being such a wussy I would need to tattle to a mod.

10. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Unfortunately, unless you're a mod you can't see our report box. But on the type of threads in question, I'm sure the other mods will back this, the amount of whiny reports we get are staggering. Usually by the person who created the mess.

fredaevans likes this.
  11. Jeff Sawyer

Jeff Sawyer Active Member

Chris, and all other moderators: I have been a guilty party in the political conversations and I apologize for any additional workload I've caused. I pretty much say/type whatever I think, and I will refrain from that in the future; because it's not my intent to cause you any more work. You guys do a great job and I really appreciate this forum and have learned a lot here.

However, I completely agree with Junkie. What makes people do that?

For the life of me I can't figure out why folks will click on a thread entitled "Weed and Gays" and then complain because it's not discussing the best 5 wt. It's like TV, if you don't like what's on, change the channel (i.e. go to another thread). As far as I know none of us are trapped in a conversation here. Do you call Sony and complain when you don’t like what’s on TV? No, you change the channel.

We are all adults and should be able to police ourselves, and with very few exceptions we should not be complaining to moderators at all. If you’re one of those folks whose skin is so thin that you’re personally offended anytime someone disagrees with you, maybe the real problem isn’t the other folks.

Dipnet likes this.
  12. Kaiserman

Kaiserman content

Time to "man up" and own up.... ditto what Jeff says here.

Although I have had some really good discussions with the PM option. One member has even helped change my view on a topic. His lack of condescending approach allowed for some good "debate", for a lack of better words.

fredaevans likes this.