NFR The Roller Coaster Ride and the "C" Word

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by dryflylarry, Feb 27, 2014.

1. TDub

TDub Member

Larry, I'm so happy you're okay and made it through that. I think you even gave me a new outlook with that story!
    Here's to many more fishing days for you. I enjoy your posts. Thanks for being here.

2. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    Larry,
    Glad to hear things are looking up for you health wise.
    Hope to see you out on the beach this summer.
    Brian

3. Dipnet

Dipnet The wanted posters say Tim Hartman

4. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Media:
    Great news and fuck cancer.

Ron McNeal likes this.
  5. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Larry,

I'm really happy to read that you're OK. Sounds like you went through hell before getting the doc's prognosis that you're just too stubborn to die. I'll raise a toast to you when I get home this evening.

Sg

6. Bruce Baker

Bruce Baker Active Member

Thanks for sharing Larry. I'm very happy for you that the original diagnosis was prooved wrong. Sorry to hear about the heart attack, but I'm impressed with how quickly you acted. Glad to hear you're doing all right and health-wise doing a little better...taking long walks and losing some weight. Keep it up!!

7. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I am very happy for you. The thought of having lung cancer is one scary bitch. I know. I was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer back in September of last year. Incurable, this stuff is. And yes, some pretty scary crap can go through your mind. I can relate to everything you said. I am somewhat lucky in the fact that the cancer migrated to my brain, they discover 3 tumors on my brain. The largest a little bigger than a golf ball. That one was removed surgically. The other two were blasted with a gamma knife. Now, you may ask how am I lucky that this nasty stuff had migrated to my brain? Well, it all started back in July or August of last year. I began to have problems using my left arm and leg. Also I was having balance issues from time to time. I knew something was up and made some appointments to see a doc. In the meantime I had a business trip to California that could not wait. Off to CA I go. While working in CA the issues with my left arm and leg continued to get worst to the point fellow workers were concerned. One evening after work at the motel I had one of the balance episodes and fell in the bathroom. I couldn't get up. My left side wouldn't work. Ever see the commercial "I have fallen and can't get up."? Well, there I was. I thought shit; they won't find me until morning. Anyway, after about 5 minutes I regained control of my left side and was able to get and go to bed. The next day at work I told some of my fellow workers what had happened and to keep an eye on me. What they did was to gang up on me and ambushed my ass in the parking lot. Hauled me off to the hospital where after almost every test Larry mentioned they told me I had a brain tumor and they had also found a couple of spots on my lung. Whoa! What next? I was flown that afternoon back to Seattle where I was booked into Swedish hospital. The following day I had brain surgery to remove the largest of the three brain tumors. A week later I had the gamma knife treatments on the remaining two. Next, the big stuff. What to do with the spots found on my lungs. One thing they didn't need to was a biopsy. They had the tumor from my brain. So I met with an oncologist at Skagit Regional Cancer Center because it is a lot closer than Swedish. He is the one that told me I had incurable stage 4 lung cancer which consists of 2 tumors on right lung and 2 lymph nodes that are cancerous. He devised a treatment plan consisting of infusion chemo therapy which is a treatment a week for 18 weeks. I have now completed treatment # 12. Since starting chemo I have had an MRI on my brain which confirmed the cancerous tumors are gone or shrunk to be of no real consequence. I just had my second CT scan on my lungs. The first scan was performed in the first of January and showed that the tumors in my lung were shrinking and losing density. The second scan which was done this past Monday showed that both tumors are continuing to shrink and the lymph nodes are returning to normal also. What does all this mean? Well, I ain't dying of lung cancer anytime soon. I will be on some form of chemo treatment for the rest of my life. That may take the form of infusion treatments or oral. We don't know yet. How long will I live? No one knows. Some people that have a similar form of lung cancer that I have are in their 15th year after being diagnosed. The way I think about this we all have a death clause in our contracts here. We all are going to die. The difference between me and you is I have a pretty good idea of what is going to kill me and you don't.

Now, this is a hyjacking.

8. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Home Page:
    Hang in there Larry, don't forget to keep pushing on the hard questions, i.e. if it ain't tumor what are the calcifications specifically are they inflammations/dormant infections and whether or not they predisposed you to your MI.

Kerry, you keep fighting that fucker, you're an inspiration to all of us!

9. Joe Goodfellow

Joe Goodfellow Active Member

Media:
    You can cure anything with herbs if not with herbs then with faith

KerryS likes this.
  10. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Media:

No.

Rich Schager likes this.
  11. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Media:
    Larry, I am so happy for your new diagnosis - and that you called 911! I hope that your health continues to improve! Thanks for sharing your story and reminding us all to take good care of ourselves.

Kerry, you continue to be in my prayers my friend.

triploidjunkie likes this.
  12. Strawfish

Strawfish Member

Larry,
    So glad to hear you finally had good news about cancer, and that your heart condition is improving. Congratulations!

13. Dipnet

Dipnet The wanted posters say Tim Hartman

Holy crap, Kerry! Yours is also quite a story but I'm certainly glad things are looking better! I too will say some prayers!!

14. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Media:
    Scary stuff man! I know for a fact I've been exposed to that shit. Remodeled a lot of houses from the pre-sixties before they realized the danger.
    Keep on keeping on, DFL

15. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

I'm glad to hear you're getting positive results in your treatment,hope you can make the occupy skagit event this year

16. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Back to you Larry. I am with 'boot on this. What are the spots on your lungs? Don't let up with the docs. As good as the doctors are in the end it is you that needs to take control. Keep us informed and again very happy for you that so far the diagnoses had been good.

17. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    Sorry to hear you had to experience such a scare and glad to hear things are well. Wishing all of us good health and no more of these stories...

18. PT

PT Physhicist

Good news, Larry. Wishing you all the best.

19. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

Glad to hear the positive news, Larry. I've been exposed to asbestos as well, about 3 months in a warehouse full of it in 1978. Supposedly the stuff was banned before then, but the pipe insulators I was working with pointed out some of the product still had it. Got 2 serious strep-throat cases in that time frame.
    Just had a chest x-ray last October and it's clean, knock on wood.

Kerry S, keep up the fight, my friend. You are one tough SOB. Best wishes.

20. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Larry, I'm also glad to hear the positive news.

Kerry S, Yes, keep fighting. I'm hoping you beat this.