'The spot' on the fly

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Michael v.d.Bogert, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Michael v.d.Bogert

Michael v.d.Bogert Active Member

I read this interesting question from a member in an other fly fish forum:
    do 'hotspots on a fly' really make the difference?

Mike

2. golfman44

golfman44 Coho Queen

No clue about on a fly but they are popular on lures for a reason....can't hurt would be my answer

3. GAT

GAT Active Member

It's been said that fish tend to look for a reason to eat something and not a reason for rejecting it... which must be true because they certainly ignore the hook bend and point.

So sure, "hot spots" can make a difference.

4. Kaiserman

Kaiserman content

What are "hot spots"?

5. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Orange or red hot spots. Try it, it works.
    SF

6. Grayone

Grayone Fishin' to the end, Oc.P

A green butt is a hot spot.

7. Jim Darden

Jim Darden Active Member

Don't know for sure but it seems to help like the pregnant shrimp, red gills on baitfish patterns, green butt skunks, and wooleybuggers.......but then, how can you tell if it is the fish or us that prefer them....

8. Travis Bille

Travis Bille Active Member

I've caught plenty of fish with them and without them. I mainly tie hot spots because its a fun twist on tying

9. Grayone

Grayone Fishin' to the end, Oc.P

New wave hot spot!!!! IMGP1880.JPG

10. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Did I mention orange or red.....;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Olive bugger likes this.
  11. jersey

jersey livin' the dream

The competition guys use a lot of the hot spot nymphs, must be something to it. Check out the scuds with flourescent beads in the middle of the pattern, they look nice

12. Kaiserman

Kaiserman content

Wow! Never heard of that phrase before... Learn something new everyday, lol

I do know that a buddy of mine, back in the early 90's would take a Sharpie and color the butt tip of a mature stone fly. He said he noticed fish passing up on some stones, and taking others. He watch for a while and it seemed that the fish would key in on the ones that looked like they were not struggling/moving as much as the others.

So, he caught one of the stones that were acting like such. Sure enough, those were the females that had an egg sack at the tip of their butt. So he did the logical thing the next day, bought a Sharpie, colored the tip of the butt on the flies, and wore out his arm for the next day and a half on the Clark Fork.

I guess that's a "hot spot", eh?

I've tied a couple bugs by adding a "little something" (very distinctive) on one end or the other, but I never knew it had a phrase given to it.

13. troutdopemagic

troutdopemagic Active Member

I've been tying alot of my trout nymphs nowadays with hotspots (mostly hot beads or red or orange thread used at the head) and it seems to make a difference in certain circumstances. Especially those where the fish see alot of flies and it gives them something different and in cold or dirty water. Last year while fishing Rock Creek in MT as a test my dad fished a prince nymph with a red thread collar behind the bead and I fished the same exact fly but without the red thread "hotspot" and he outfished me by quite a few fish. In my boxes I would carry flies both with and without the hotspots. They seem to give an edge in certain situations.

Alot of my swing bugs have a bright spot near the rear of the fly, and I'd like to think it gives that fly an edge.

14. GAT

GAT Active Member

Any part of a pattern that is drastically different in color or reflection can be considered a "hot spot".

Evidently, in the old days, they figured trout were attracted to the color red so many older wet flies were tied with a red tail... fibers or yarn. The tail would be considered a "hot spot".

I suppose the use of tinsel for a flash back pattern would also be considered a hot spot.

It doesn't need to be a "spot" per say, but something meant to draw attention to the pattern.

The red floss section of a Royal Coachman might be considered a hot spot.

15. Kaiserman

Kaiserman content

When I first saw this thread, I was thinking "What?!" But what you (and others) have said, totally makes sense now.

Just look at all the pheasant tail nymphs that have a crystal flash on the thorax, or in the woolly bugger's tail.

16. Michael v.d.Bogert

Michael v.d.Bogert Active Member

17. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

The Female Adams dry fly, with a yellow or orange bit of dubbing at the end of the gray body, is a variation that has been in use for a long time. So it must be effective, at least during hatching season.

18. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

I just read something in a document saying that it is widely believed that fish can't see red. It didn't say which fish or all fish. If fish are colorblind, why do specific colors work at certain times? Like yesterday, when we were stripping streamers. Only one specific color caught fish. Even the same color, in more muted shades wouldn't get a look. I find it fascinating.

enlightened likes this.
  19. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

Women must know this, Thats why they have so many clothes!!!

enlightened likes this.