Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

The ultimate flyfishing vehicle.

9K views 62 replies 50 participants last post by  Bill Reed 
#1 ·
Ok, here's one for everyone to comment on. I know a while back there was the whole discussion on the "What would Jesus drive" thing. So what would the well outfitted flyfisher drive. You can give me your dream ride or your current one. I'm starting to look for a new vehicle and need something I can haul kids, and fishing equipment in or on and need some suggestions. Thanks in advance. Kringle.

G
#2 ·
Maybe you could provide a little more information before the responses flow in. How many kids? How old? What is your price point? 2WD, 4WD, AWD,truck,van,suv, etc. Does gas milage make a difference? There is probably no one perfect vehicle for the job any more than there is a perfect watercraft for all types of fishing. Some compromises are just better than others.
Last fall one of my fishing buddies from the city came up here to remote northeastern Washington in his new "fishing vehicle". It was a totally tricked out Off Road 4X extendend cab truck with a short bed, a canopy, alloy wheels,2-tone paint,cd etc,etc,blah,blah,blah. The little bed was UPHOLSTERED inside and was completely useless for tossing in wet tubes, soaked waders and muddy boots plus it had some kind of a bunk contraption in there that reduced the headroom to about what you would have in the average coffin. After one trip to a nearby lake in my rig, using 4X4 low range at times, it was clear that he had no intention of getting even a wheel dirty on his rig and didn't even start it up until the day he left. Moral of the story: Get something you can use and use it enough to get your moneys worth. Ive

#3 ·
Well, I don't know if this would be considered an "ultimate" vehicle, but I sure do like the Dodge Durango that I own. It can go pretty much anywhere and it can haul quite a bit of stuff. The BF Goodrich All Terrain KO's are really nice and meaty. Just a practical vehicle for practical uses. Note--The average MPG is around 14, so it's not the most "fuel efficient" vehicle around, but better than most large suvs.

#4 ·
Well, I really like my '98 Toyota RAV-4. Its probably too small for many of the folks, but I like it alot for fishing. It's all time 4WD, and has done everything I have done or wanted to do, well except for the last 1/2 mile to Ebey Lake. All the folks that know that spot know that most stop there, too.

The downside of the RAV is that a 9' fly rod can't be stored inside without breaking it down.

#5 ·
Heres a concept fly fishing vehicle with a base of a Ford Explorer:

Based on the yet-to-be-introduced 2002 Ford Explorer, the Sportsman concept vehicle is designed to take the angler into the wilderness for a "back to nature" fly-fishing adventure and outdoor experience.

Outfitted with Scott Flyfishing Rods, the Explorer Sportsman is finished in a low-gloss, satin metallic green, coupled with satin- finished front and rear chrome skid-plates that provide ultimate durability for two-track expeditions to rivers, lakes, streams and the woodlands in between.

The running boards, which deploy when the doors are opened for easy entry and exit, also serve as additional storage for fishing rods and other fishing equipment.

The Explorer Sportsman concept makes extensive use of Bloodwood, a type of wood that is common near coastal open moist forests in Queensland, New South Wales and Victoria, Australia.

One of the most prominent features on the Sportsman is the fully detachable roof rack. The rack extends forward and folds down so that fishing rods, nets, and other items can be loaded from the side of the vehicle. Modular attachments are positioned on the rooftop to carry additional sporting equipment, such as bikes, tents, or whatever the outdoor excursion calls for. In a fixed position, the roof rack arms swing outward to form a basket for carrying flyfishing equipment. The bottom of the basket is trimmed with Bloodwood slats.

The spacious interior is well suited for the seasoned or the amateur angler. The seat-inserts and lower door trim panels are wrapped in medium pebble woven leather. The upper doortrim panels, instrument panel and front and rear floor mats are finished in rich authentic Bloodwood. Leather-covered door handles and a Bloodwood steering wheel with alloy accents add to the outdoor sporting appeal of this concept.

The instrument panel features a GPS screen that is operable by an on-board "mouse." The seat backs also have detachable carry packs that deploy out to function as "workbenches" for fly tying. These 'benches' are removable to allow the angler to tie flys on site.

A 30-gallon live fish tank, complete with a clean-air filter, locks into position in the middle of the back compartment. The tank has rollers for easy loading and unloading.

#6 ·
'84 suburban - called the Carp. No need to worry about the paint work, can take 5 people and a ton of gear, custon pvc rod holders on the roof (read 3" diameter pipe), rain fly over the tailgate for lunch on the OP between rivers, fly tying desk etc.

For the solo fisherman, a full 4x8 foot sleeping area. Mileage may vary - rest assured it's under 10 mpg.

Jim W

#7 ·
With so many types of cars, trucks, suv's, and car/truck/suv hybrids out there now, it can be a complicated desision. Are you going to be hauling a boat of some kind, and will this be your only vehicle? When I'm hunting for a vehicle I look for something that looks good, is comfortable, can pick up chicks, intimidates other drivers, and can haul my fishing gear & pontoon boat. Not necessarily in that order. Ideally, it would be nice to have a 4x4 truck for fishing/hauling purposes, and also a car that can haul around the family and gets good gas milage. If you buy used, you could probably get both for near the price of a new SUV.

Personally, I prefer anything with a bowtie. Toyota's (tacoma & 4-runner) are well built vehicles too. You couldn't pay me to drive a Ford again (the new F250 & F350 are pretty sweet though). Also, is it just me or are some of the new SUV, and car/truck/suv hybrids that everyone is making look hideously ugly.

#9 ·
Im finding my '93 2 door jeep cherokee to my liking more and more. Itll cart around five people comfortably (but rarely do i have to worry about that), and the back seat folds down to open up the cargo area another 3 feet or so. Its a 4x4 and i havent had a problem gettin anywhere ive wanted to go thus far. Its only got a four banger but gets pretty good gas mileage. Around 20 to 22 mpg. I use it for hunting, fishing and everyday use. Of course im also plannin on making a few additions. Roof rack, brush guard and things of that like. I had a four door as a parts car and the only thing i really found different was there was a little more room in backseat.:professor

Tyler

Fish On!!!:thumb

#11 ·
In college I thought it was my '82 GS1100E cycle. ...cause it wasn't a bicyle.

The last few years I thought it was my '74 FJ40 land cruiser. ...cause it was bitch'n. I miss that vehicle. 4bolt 350, all the toys, lockers, ect.
http://www.off-road.com/tlc/readers_rigs/chrisscoones.jpg

Lately my old suburban has been doing the trick just nicely. ...cause it gets more then 4 1/2 MPG and has a top, which is nice during winter storms. It also suits as a sleeper and carry's a couple inflated pontoon boats, gear and beer. Eventually I'll migrate to a truck. Something to be said for keeping your wet gear / dog out of the cab.

Jesus would drive a custom Unimog.

#14 ·
I've got an '87 Suburban (the famous Oakie Cadillac) which has the big engine. I can't beat Chris's 4 1/2 mpg as mine only gets 4 mpg. But when that big Chevy roars, stuff starts to happen. I've pulled a 33 ft. travel trailer, a 25 ft boat, etc., all over the West, up hill and dale, mostly up hill. She's a pig to be sure; and she's not very good at picking up girls ( they think you're stupid with such a rig). But I love her. Sleeps me nicely in crazy places -- church parking lots, Safeways, side of the road, old pastures, river beds, etc. If you get rousted, just say that you damn near drove off the road and nearly killed a pedestrian so you just had to stop and sleep immediately since you've been driving from Texas without rest. This is always a good story because all you're thinking about here is safety. Right?
I never met a good truck that I didn't like. Get one you can sleep in and haul a bunch of dogs and kids.
P.S. You can leave a fully rigged 9ft. rod or two or three all set up in a bullet proof cage.:thumb

#16 ·
Ive had chevy trucks with canopys good, then a jeep grand cherokee only thing it was good for was towing the drift boat and thats it expensive to fix couldn't sleep in the back and lousy gas mileage never again on the suv thing now perfection subaru loyale wagon used not expensive back seat folds down flat for crashing in or pontoon,only have to break down front piece of 14' spey rod 380 miles to the tank 75 mph on way to where ever and with the left over cash on insurance and payments looking to buy a get get away van for those special trips and towing the dorie after 20 years of dinking around the subaru gets me what I really wanted a second opps third vehicle just for fishing trips
john

#17 ·
A friend of mine at work had an '89 Cherokee. He said, it keeps boiling over. I said, well that sounds pretty bad, but I'll give ya 800 for it and he signed the title right then and there. I changed the freeze plugs and have been driving the hell out of it since. Ask Oldman Jim. We drove that stock Jeep through a three foot deep beaver dam. Now he is a believer wishing he could trade in that POS Subaru.

Matt

"Everyday that you wake up and decide not to go fishing...is one less day you'll go fishing." Forrest Maxwell

#18 ·
Well I'm one of those guys who could not make up my mind, I have a old dodge van that works nicely for weekend jaunts, then I have a Toyota 4x4 P/U that is for those rougher trips. I have a motor home that I rarely use, it is to big to go where I like to go and a suburban but it is to nice to through those wet dirty float boats etc. in so the two I use the most are the van and the toy.

Gary

#19 ·
Kringle, (is it Kris???)

My wife and I have a Forester and it's a really nice rig. Comfortable for 4, lots of storage space and a roof rack for skis or a pontoon, good mileage, tracks like it's on rails, and goes really well in snow.
But when I need to go fishing for a couple of days, our cab plus F-150 is the ticket. Still comfortable for 4 or 5 people, lots of storage space, fair mileage for a truck, 4 wheel drive on demand, and now a canopy so we can sleep off the ground (we're AARP members). Hitch up the 12 foot lapstrake and we're good to go for bigger water. The Mrs. loves sitting high up in the Ford and is usually asleep somewhere about 50 miles down the road. Sasha sits in the back seat and leaves nose prints on every window. Makes me want to skip work, load it up and go NOW!

Roper,

Truth above all

#20 ·
Fishing Cars / I've had a few and loved them all because they took me to places where I might catch a mermaid.

The 1947 Ford 2 dr:
Roll through anything and a Thompson vise would clamp onto the glove box door.
The Buick convertible:
Great for exploring moonlit waters with a friend
The Mercury Comet s/w: first sleep in fish/car
The Jeep Waggoneer: 4wd added more possibilities
Datsun P/U: great 4wd - high ground clearance
The 6cyl Ford F150 - lots of torque - could climb slow
The current - Isuzu Trooper - the dog likes the leather seats.

The best fishing car IMHO is the one that is paid for so I can take more time off to fish.

Roll Cast :professor
"Rules, there ain't no rules around here!
We're trying to accomplish something!"
J. Belushi

#21 ·
Heres one for ya. This is my buddies truck, the on going project. 1965 Ford F-250. Posi front and rear end, stock rebuilt big block 352 with four bbl carb, headers and a custom exhaust. Four wheel lock that holds like theres no tomorrow. Its got a body and a suspension lift (its not too high though) and i think 32 in tires on chrome wheels. It was his dads truck from high school that sat for about ten years untill he decided to rescue it from the invading blackberry bushes three years ago. The interior has been all gone through and looks pretty nice. This truck is geared low for torque and will go anywhere. Put it in first and just let it climb itself up any hill. Its got an extended front bumper with a big winch that is powered by the engine (shift into neutral and engage the winch and away you go). Brush guard and fog lights. Oh, and one more thing, its got a bad ass built in air horn! I dont think he'll ever be done with it. Its an awesome truck.

Tyler

Fish On!!!:thumb

#22 ·
Probably not the best for a family, but I get by with an '88 Ford Bronco II. It's small enough to navigate "goat trail" like roads, good ground clearance, pretty good gas mileage (about 20+MPG highway), and mine has absolutely no frills (manual everything). I keep the back seats folded down and throw everything I need back there. It's taken me a lot of places and never broke down.

#24 ·
Sorry, I didn't know the response would be so overwhelming. Here's some more info for ya, I'm 6'2" 230lbs. so I leaning towards a truck. But, the wife and I have a 16month old daughter and possibly another within a year so I need something to haul child seats. We have a 2002 Camry which I just can't see stumping into a rough trailhead or lake spot. I don't have a float tube or pontoon boat yet, but it's coming. Anybody tried two baby seats in a compact dual cab pick up like the Nissan or Toyota? With my size I figured at least to go with the Dakota or a full size double cab. The float plane would be great but I don't think it would fit in the garage. Thanks again for the help and the suggestions. Kringle

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.