There is a Sanity Claus

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Dave Boyle, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Dave Boyle Active Member

Seattle, Wa
    Ratings: +27 / 0
    Things were getting really too insane at work, so when the going gets tough, the tough go fishing...or light weights; I don't care, I was thinking get out for a bit. I had a feeling I'd catch an outgoing tide and a quick look confirmed it, so off I went to a local beach. Started out and nothing much doing but seeing a seal out far ~100 ft and then 2-3 fish jump gave me hope and though I moved to cover them, nothing...Still all the crap in my mind was starting to go and was loving looking over the sound/Olys on a great Sping day. Where were those chum fry? In front of me the water splattered! There they were right there in front of me.

Mmm maybe I should tie on a chum baby? Did so but nothing. Still from kids rockpooling/crabbing I knew I was on the tip of a a spit and so fished over and on each side of the point, where I figured fish could lie on either side ready to ambush. Then it happened...a grab? A strip strike, fish on! Maybe I'd be lucky, no LDR...it rolled around on the top, a silver possibly but then dug down, maybe not. My first cuttie of the year and boy they just don't give up. After a brief, tough battle had a yellow finned beautie of 14" to hand, not a monster trophy fishby any means but my first of the yr and a fish doesn't have to be huge to be cosmic (to parpaphrase Geraich [?]). Made my day and as the tide reached ebb I left the beach to the masses, a renewed, refreshed, happy man. No photo's, my phone let alone camera, is the worst in world so a complete bollocks report as no photo but I don't care :)

Get out and fish,

Dave
  2. Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Tacoma
    Ratings: +353 / 0
    Awesome satisfaction! Good times and nice bit of work! Thanks for the stoke :)
  3. Mark Mercer Member

port orchard, wa
    Ratings: +517 / 0
    Nice report.....And I'll take 14" cutties all day, love the little guys.
  4. FlyinFish Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +77 / 0
    Very cool. I think I know the beach you were fishing from your vivid description. I always have a hard time picking which side of the point to fish. "all the crap in my mind was starting to go" is what it's all about. Beaches have a way of cleansing things.
  5. Jim B Flyfishin' and homebrewin'....priorities ?

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +28 / 0
    Check this one out.....

Chris Johnson and Dipnet like this.
  6. Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

Silverdale, WA
    Ratings: +379 / 0
    AMEN!
  7. Jim Darden Active Member

Bellingham, Wa.
    Ratings: +222 / 0
    Great story!....and great tenacity, sometimes hanging in there has its rewards
  8. doublebluff Go Beavs

Corvallis, OR
    Ratings: +29 / 0
    A fine example of what it is all about.