Thoughts on the Death Star

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by David Dalan, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Darthmonkey Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +154 / 0
    I've fished the Death Star a few times and would definitely agree with everything Mr. Beauchamp has to say. It is a great rod. That being said, I say the 12'3" Winston is a better rod. IMHO it was a bit more forgiving than the Death Star, and a fair bit lighter. Both rods do very well with modern shooting heads in similar grain ranges. Can't go wrong with either, but for $500, get the Death Star.
  2. bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

m-ville
    Ratings: +737 / 0
    Its for guys who didn't get a 8124 brownie
    Brady Burmeister likes this.
  3. Ian Broadie Flyfishing is so "Metal"

Kirkland, Washington
    Ratings: +57 / 0
    8124 brownie, which is another reason why I don't own a Tcx 7126

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2
  4. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,785 / 0
    I got two of those. Never once called them "Death Star". Seriously?
  5. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA
    Ratings: +782 / 0

Rocking the two pole endorsement. Badass.
  6. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA
    I really appreciate the input. Thanks!
  7. Evan Virnoche Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0
    U gotta get the death star and the enterprise so u can Circle uranus
    David Dalan likes this.
  8. Ian Broadie Flyfishing is so "Metal"

Kirkland, Washington
    Ratings: +57 / 0
    I haven't either and the way I understand things is that the 8124 is a predecessor to the TCX 7126. Also if I am correct it was George Cook who first coined the term "Death Star" for the TCX 7126 because he liked it so much.

The TCX 7126 really is a fantastic rod and if I did not have my Sage 8124 and my MKS 7136 I would be all "I have you now" to the Death Star.... minus the getting spun off in to space because my wing man was just greased by Han Solo.
    David Dalan likes this.
  9. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,785 / 0
    I can believe that but really, death star for a fly rod, seriously.
  10. HauntedByWaters Active Member

Bellingham
    Ratings: +105 / 0
    I had the TCX 7126 and sold it after a couple moths. Too quick and crispy for me.

I highly reccomend the 7125-3 Burkheimer. :) It has just the right amount of mellow and is truly a 7wt.
  11. Tom Palmer Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +28 / 0
    The TCX 7126 is my primary steelhead rod. As Sean states, it's light enough for summer runs but has plenty of backbone for big fish.

For winter/skagit work I like the 510gr Airflo Intermediate. Once I experienced the superior swing of the intermediate I rarely use a floating skagit any more.

Summer conditions the RIO AFS in 460gr rocks on this rod! For windy conditions or light tips I switch to a Rage.

If you are on the fence, get it. Killer rod, killer price.
  12. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +352 / 1
    I use the AFS 460 on this rod and a 540 gr switch line with a clear floating tip. Good stuff.
  13. liltanker32 Member

vancouver washington
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    I totally agree with haunted by water. burkheimers are the shit. ive owned everything from a tcx, sage one, z axis, and so on. I still have all of them and they all have a special place I believe. but burkheimers are the cats ass. you cant beat them 7134 for summer and 8134 for winter. if not just an 8134 for year round.
    Zeb Stadler likes this.
  14. Slate Run Member

Seattle
    Ratings: +33 / 3
    It does, however, certainly sound like something George Cook might say. ;)
    Rosetime likes this.
  15. danimal Inglorious Twohander

michiana,SW lk mich
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    I have in my quiver a 8126-3 greenie- same rod as the 8124(according to MR Godshall)..
    With a 510 rage on er I call it a lazer beam--never a deathstar tho.. And yes ifn I remember correctly--that is George Cook's name for that tcx.......
  16. kev New Member

Washington
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    What is a good click and pawl reel that balances well with this rod? I am thinking Hardy 3.75 or 4". My plan is to be fishing for winter Steelies tossing intruders. Thanks

Oh....I just bought a death star, super excited!
  17. aplTyler Inept Steelheader

The Evergreen State
    Ratings: +89 / 9
    I (now) have a Marquis Salmon No. 2 on mine... balances it wonderfully.
  18. troutdopemagic Active Member

Lake Stevens, Washington
    Ratings: +137 / 0
    10 points to the Hardy Marquis. Hard to beat for a click and pawl. I love mine more then words (mine is not on a death star, but still).
  19. Rob Allen Active Member

Vancouver WA
    Ratings: +401 / 0
    Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed the ability to cast a fly line is insignificant to the power of the fish..

hmm i was hoping to think up something more clever on the spot but i guess i am just not that witty
  20. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA

Funny thing, I assumed (among other things) that the Death Star was super light. I was kind of amused to find out that there are several two handers in the same rod weight that are lighter. Granted we are talking 1 ounce or less difference.