Thoughts on the Death Star

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by David Dalan, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Brady Burmeister

Brady Burmeister Active Member

Media:
    I'd really like to give to the two BIIMX rods a cast. I've heard nothing but great things about them yet they're barely mentioned compared to the TCX.

2. shotgunner

shotgunner Anywhere ~ Anytime

Media:
    I tried a 12'6" TCX long before they were 'the buzz' and liked it very well even though the only line I had to try was CND GPS 7/8. I was shopping longer 7wt rods at the time and never had the chance to drive some asstd shooter heads on it, which we all know it excells at. Crisp & snappy.. it is a fine rod.

Couple years later I bought the Winston.. no looking back from those first few test casts. Amazing rod.
    There is exactly 1.5 ounce diff in the two [TCX & BII MX] I have multiple trout rods that weigh 1.5 or less.

3. Chawhee

Chawhee Active Member

My brother picked a 7wt one up with a mono casting setup on the Naknek over by King Salmon Alaska. That river is WIDE and he can BOMB flies with ease, probably because the mono behind the shooting head.

4. Chawhee

Chawhee Active Member

Worth it.

5. Danielocean

Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Media:
    I am glad I did not give into temptation and buy this rod as I have found out I can not even cast my Echo worth a shit. LOL

6. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Media:
    Well, just to close the loop, I did end up with a Death Star. See other thread about rod breakage. It is an unforgiving stick as advertised, but a real pleasure to cast. It threw my 7 wt scandi short (what I was using when my other 2 handed rod exploded) and also threw a 525 Skagit well. Shop keep said it was designed with a 540gr line in mind, so I will probably take a poke at how it throws the 550, though i doubt I'll use a line that heavey on this rod very often. I'm not sure the 7 wt was harder to throw, but it did feel underlined a bit and different (faster stroke I think) than with the 525.

I think I'm in love.

My other rod will be repaired, and I think I'll keep them both. They are different, fun and frankly there is no economically sound means out of owning them both, rods being a bit like cars, with instant depreciation and all.

7. Ian Broadie

Ian Broadie Flyfishing is so "Metal"

Media:
    Home Page:
    Put a 525 skagit short or a 540 skagit switch on your death star, you'll be happy. The shorter skagit heads have more mass per inch than regular skagit heads so you can have a smaller grain weight with a ton of mass in the head.

Thanks,

-Ian

8. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Media:

I should clarify, all Skagits in the previous posts are shorts. So I think we are in harmony :)

9. Thom Collins

Thom Collins Active Member

If it's going to be known as the "Death Star" perhaps they should rename it the "THX 7126" or heck, "THX 1138."

10. Chawhee

Chawhee Active Member

I just think I need to learn how to cast.

David Dalan likes this.
  11. Rod Wittner

Rod Wittner Active Member

Media:
    Been thinking about this rod for a while now. Since reading this thread, and it being discontinued and prices reflecting that, I just pulled the trigger. It should be here by late next week, just in time for a weekend jaunt to a well known south central Washington river to give it a whirl. I am pretty new to the two handed thing, I am hoping that i will be able to overcome its "unforgiving nature".