Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Tie your favorite fly

Swap 
3K views 47 replies 10 participants last post by  S Fontinalis 
#1 ·
Okay, this is the idea. Tie the fly that you like the most. It can be a fly you think you tie the best, or a fly you just think looks the best when you're done. It doesn't have to be a proven fish catcher or even a fly that you'd fish. And it doesn't have to be a massive work of art demanding the skills of a Jedi. Just the best looking fly you tie.

If there's some interest I'll start nailing down the details and making a list.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, this looks like a done deal! We'll make it ten folks max, and we'll tie one fly for each of them. I'm gonna say have the flies to me by March 23rd. I'll post pics as they come in. Should be really cool to see what shows up!

This is the list:
1. Me
2. Blake Harmon
3. Zen Leecher
4. Mayfly Aviator
5. LD
6. MountainTrout
7. Ben Guss
8. S. Fontianlis
9.Rob Ast

See less See more
#28 ·
Starting to get a few flies rolling in. Looking good! Rob, your flies did make it to the house.

I haven't been quite as "on top" of this as I'd like to be. A lot of irons in the fire lately. If I've missed getting the address to anyone, please let me know.

#29 ·
Chad et. al - I apologize for the delay, but I received my flies back in the mail upon returning from a Bitterroot trip yesterday. It appears that the local shipper put the return address on the outside...I'll correct it and resend today. Funny thing is that the package went to SLC and Pocatello prior to arriving in my mail box...

#32 ·
Good stuff fellas!

Fontinalis' flies made it here today from over the river and through the woods (the Mississippi and Rockies, respectively). Still have a few that should be rolling in. I'll start posting pics with the screen names associated; not everyone toe-tagged their flies, so this'll let everyone know who tied what. Again, thanks everyone for playing.

#34 ·
Rob, thanks for keeping me honest. I meant to post an update earlier, but things have been busy. Some more time at work, and my girlfriend got to come home all last week before going to Iraq for work. And dealing with a sick puppy. I will admit that I went fishing this past Sunday; you know, for health reasons. Anyway, this is where we stand:
Flies I have right now:
1. Fontinalis- Wiggle Stoneflies
2. Jon (Mountain Trout??)- Thorne River Emerger
3. Rob Ast- Peacock and Starling Flymph
4. Mayfly Aviator- Cheeseman's Emerger
5. Zen Leecher- Drunken Dragon
6. Ben Guss- Pink Reverse Spider
7. Chad Lewis- Fan Wing Adams

That leaves Blake Harmon and LD I haven't received flies from. If you fellas would please let me know where you stand I'd appreciate it. If you can't send flies, that's okay. If I haven't heard from Blake and LD by Friday, I'll send what I have. Pics to follow....

#35 ·
Insect Arthropod Amber Pollinator Pest
Fan Wing Adams- Chad Lewis
Insect Arthropod Pollinator Organism Wing
Cheeseman's Emerger- Mayfly Aviator
Artificial fly Insect Bait Arthropod Fishing bait
Thorne River Emerger- Mountain Trout
Artificial fly Insect Arthropod Pest Fishing bait
Peacock and Starling Flymph- Rob Ast
Eye Arthropod Insect Wing Dragonflies and damseflies
Wiggle Stone- S Fontinalis
Flower Pollinator Arthropod Plant Insect
Drunken Dragon- Zen Leecher
Insect Arthropod Artificial fly Organism Terrestrial plant
Double Knudson Spider- Ben Guss

#36 ·
A couple of fellas were thoughtful enough to tie some additional flies for me. I really appreciate that. I think I'm gonna forward those flies to everyone, since we ended up a couple short. Thanks to Rob Ast and Mountain Trout for your generosity. And thanks to everyone for participating. I'll be getting the flies in the mail shortly.

#37 ·
Chad - there should be one or two extra for you, I should've labeled them as swapmeister. Secondly, cool looking adams. If you get a chance a quick ingredient list would be appreciated.

All - interesting looking flies, I'm looking forward to trying them out.

Thanks for hosting.

Sam Dixon

#38 ·
Okay, I get it now :confused: All of you tied extras for me- thank you very much. Rob Ast and Mountain Trout tied an additional pattern altogether; these are the "extras" that I'm forwarding to everyone. Strong work guys! So everyone should have nine unique flies. Again, thanks to everyone for playing. Looking forward to posting some fish pics with your fly in its mouth.

Here's the pattern for the Fan Wing Adams. If you wanna tie more than a few, get the BIG bag of mallard flank feathers. Very few of them will be the right size and shape to work.

#39 ·
Rob and Mtn trout, I'm hooking you guys up with some more flies from my boxes so you two also have nine. The buggy looking dry fly is called a Daddysnatcher (don't ask me, it must be a British or Scottish thing), and the orange nymph is a October Caddis fly that's been good for me.

#40 ·
Wow I completely failed on this swap guys, I apologize. My clueless ass didn't even realize it was a go. Sorry about the fail, Its the first time and it wont happen again. Tight lines everybody, those are some good looking flies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.