NFR Time For a New SUV

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by LCnSac, Jul 11, 2014.

1. SquatchinSince86

SquatchinSince86 Totally Unprofessional

im surprised nobody has mentioned this

perfect for when hiking into your favorite fishing hole just isn't an option.

rustybee, Drifter and LCnSac like this.
  2. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

I've had two Explorers and one Expedition. I sued Ford Motor Company over a blown engine in the Expedition as I learned they were aware of a defective block and kept installing it. They caved pre-hearing and fixed the engine. The second Explorer had engine troubles too. The first was very good. Even so, given the redesign, that's the first vehicle I looked at. Then I went to Consumer Reports to check reliability to see if things had changed. They haven't, so that put me out. Same thing with most domestics. As a group, and granted there are certainly individual exceptions, they just don't hold as well as many of the imports.

Chawhee likes this.
  3. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Interesting. How about gas mileage? Does it come with USB ports for iPhones and will it play XM and Pandora? :)

4. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

5. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

Man I could really low-hole people in that rescue rig!

rustybee likes this.
  6. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

When the best is good enough...

Seriously though, my love affair is from the Japanese assembled rigs (of any make). They're unstoppable.

Chawhee likes this.
  7. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

We love our `08 Tacoma double cab, and her Ladyship retired her 2000 4rnr in favor of a new Toyota Highlander XLE,which is fantastic! Get the Toyota!

constructeur likes this.
  8. David A.

David A. Active Member

I've had an 05 from new and it's a great car.
    The first three years it was my work car and I've driven it all over Australia.
    The last few years it's been the family car and been great for day to day stuff.
    Off road ?
    Not really..;), but on rough roads it's very good.
    On road, it's very comfortable, has everything and does everything well.
    It's also been bullet proof reliable.

SquatchinSince86 likes this.
  9. David A.

David A. Active Member

FWIW, a while back I did driver training to get a truck licence and the trainer had a large Volvo rigid truck with 14 tons on the back.
    I commented that the auto gearbox and general feel reminded me of my Volvo wagon.
    He said - "Dave, driving a Volvo truck is like making love to a very fat women.
    Of course there's nothing wrong with making love to a very fat women, you just don't want any of your friends to see you doing it"..:D

rustybee likes this.
  10. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Consumer Reports #1 Most Reliable Vehicle 2014: Subaru Forester. This isn't the first time for Subaru either. I think years ago when MB was building great long term cars Subaru was ranked just behind them. Today Toyota, Lexus, Honda, Infiniti, and Subaru dominate the list, and I'd gladly own any of them that work for me, Acura too. We hold these companies to a higher standard than the rest, and when there's a stumble among them, no matter how isolated, it's all over the news.

I'll support any factory that can build a good, reliable product with the utility I need. I won't support a company building self destructing products, domestic or foreign. GM is the only domestic company with decent across the line reliability for now.

constructeur likes this.
  11. martyg

martyg Active Member

Cayenne Diesel.

12. Chawhee

Chawhee Active Member

There is always debate over foreign vs domestic. My opinion is purchasing the best product for the price in a "free" market is more American than anything else.

LCnSac likes this.
  13. SquatchinSince86

SquatchinSince86 Totally Unprofessional

Gas mileage...shoot that beast probably runs on bald eagle eggs and eskimo tears. Pandora and xm.... thats with the tech package

14. scottybs

scottybs Active Member

Except that ignition issue right? ;-)

15. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

Doesn't matter the brand. Most of them are built in the US now anyway. The wages go to the US. The profits to the shareholders, regardless of whether it's a Ford or a Toyota. I have had two Ford Escapes. Both have been good cars. We've towed a small trailer and small boat with both. The V-6 is snappy but I get nearly the same road mileage with the F 150 I drive. It has a 5 liter V-8; gets a solid 20 mpg on the road unless I towing.

16. GAT

GAT Active Member

The absolute last source I'd use for recommendations of a product is Consumer Reports. Those guys are idiots and I've been burned by their recommendations more than once.

They rate anything from egg timers to hair dryers so they are not exactly experts in automotive vehicles.

If you want to check recommendations for a SUV check out a product review from a source that only rates vehicles. Kelly Blue Book and many others are much more reliable than Consumer Reports.

Kaari White and Steve Call like this.
  17. Mark Kulikov

Mark Kulikov Active Member

I've got an old 98 Chevy Blazer 4x4 that looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor. Great snow car, 26mpg, great back road river runner and a 5k tow capacity. I keep it meticulousy maintained. I'd really like to get one of the new subaru foresters, but spouse says not till the Blazer dies. Crap, that may be awhile.

Sent from my little square phone thingy...

18. GAT

GAT Active Member

My real job is in the automotive biz. I've been working in both foreign and domestic dealerships for 38 years. At first, yes, foreign vehicles where built much, much better and more reliable than domestic vehicles. That is no longer the case -- even if Consumer Reports is in love with foreign vehicles.

Most parts in any brand of vehicle come from the same supplier... they are simply made to the specs of the brand. If you buy a Toyota SUV, there is a high chance it is actually assembled in the US. It contains parts made in Japan, Mexico, Germany, Brazil, China and the US. Oddly enough, the same holds true for US vehicles.

The name brand on the vehicle may be different but the parts of that vehicle are made by the same suppliers. Originally, that was not the case but it is now.

It is difficult to claim one brand is built better than another. If you remove all the identifying badges of similar vehicles, a normal consumer would have a heck of a time determining that one similar vehicle is built better than another.

Some still believe that the name badge is the key. If the name badge is Japanese, they believe the vehicle must be better than one that has a US name badge. Genuine studies of consumer satisfaction indicate that there is very little difference these days between those happy with an import compared to a domestic vehicle.

And like I said, if the consumer was comparing the vehicles and had no idea of the company that built them, that difference would be even slighter.

The US vehicles of the 70s are nowhere near to the same US vehicle of 2014.

You can't go by recalls. Nowadays, all vehicles, no matter the brand, have recalls. Some of the recalls are downright dumb. But they are a fact of the automotive world and I deal with new recalls each week... you just don't read about most of them because the media only makes a big deal out of it during slow news days.

Most of the recalls I process for Ford and Chrysler deal with reprogramming a module. Big whoop. An update for a computer program. Half are not safety related in the least but deal with correcting an emissions concern.

Some recalls are justified for safety problems. The Chevy recall for the ignition switch is one. They were aware of the problem but because they were going broke, they did nothing about it because a recall would have cost millions for Chevy to fix. They are now trying to correct that mistake.

My wife purchased a 2013 Escape last year. She loves that vehicle and claims it is the best vehicles she's ever owned. And we've owned an Opal Manta, a Ford Galaxy, a Ford Mustang, a T-Bird, a Horizon (that one was a real piece of crap) three different Explorers, a Mazda 626, a Mazda B2000 and an RX7.

So we've gone through both domestic and foreign vehicles. And out all of them, she likes her Escape the best. She did like her RX7 a lot but it was a sports car and what was not to like... you can't really compare it to the others.

There were three recalls on her Escape. One had to do with reprogramming the seat belt control module. One had to do with adjusting the door latches. And the biggie was a real dumb one. There was a chance that if the front seal of the engine started to leak, it might leak oil on something that might catch fire. So the recall had us install a shield to keep any possible oil leak from leaking onto a hot engine part. It was all based on "possible" because out of the hundreds of thousands of Escapes sold, a couple of them somewhere leaked and the engine started smoking.

Safety and emission recalls are mandated by the Feds and some of those mandated recalls are just plain silly. Still, recalls are a fact of the auto biz these days so we take them in stride. ... they're job security for me as a warranty administrator.

Bottom line: If you're going to research customer satisfaction, check with an automotive dedicated research group. And if there is a satisfaction concern, find out what it is. A couple years ago, Ford products took a big hit in customer satisfaction because the stupid cell phone function (made and programed by Microsoft) had bugs. Everything else that actually mattered were rated very good.

19. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

We all complain about the cost of new vehicles, but I'd bet the current cost per mile driven is less now than 20 years ago. I'm old enough to remember when 50K was about the end of most cars and trucks. Odometers back then only had five digits. The Sequoia is the first vehicle I've had where I drove it over 100K. Pre Y2K that was pretty signaled the coming end of the useful life for many vehicles. Now, even for some domestics, 200K isn't out of the question, and we all hear of some brands seeing over 300K and still in use. Some even have some value at those miles.

Oddly though, even with better longevity, they all look pretty cheap including the upmarket Germans. I have yet to see a vehicle with truly great fit and finish and materials, except maybe Land Rover and we know about their reliability.

What is making them last longer? My guess is the extensive use of plastic plays a part. No metal fatigue or rust and it doesn't bend or rattle--it breaks and gets replaced. Also, computer designed and processed components and robotic assembly must help?

20. Dan Nelson

Dan Nelson Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum