tippets whats best??

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Eric Denny, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

Hoppers and other large flies can spin resulting in a twisted line. It usually happens at the end of the drift when the fly is dragging in the downstream current. If it happens more than once, I change flies. It seems some flies are tied so as to be unbalanced resulting in spinning under pressure.

I use 5x and 6x for trout and have been using Orvis tippet - mostly because I live close to their store and its convenient to stick with one brand so the spools connect to each other.

2. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Good point on sticking with one brand Steve. I use Rio and Orvis but the new Orvis nesting and free wheeling spools are the easiest to use that I have ever experienced. They simplify the often messy process of stripping off a new length of tippit without somehow making a rats nest of the adjoining sizes. Once the Rio is gone I'll use the Orvis Mirage and Super Strong exclusively.

Ive

Nooksack Mac likes this.
  3. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

Media:
    Eric -

It is extremely rare that you'll spook fish with tippets when you are fishing big flies. Go with the ratios others have suggested and you'll be fine. That said, I occasionally find myself fishing small flies on fine tippet only to switch to a large fly for some reason and not cut back the tippet and I'll have the problem you described. Some people never learn...

Dick

Kent Lufkin and Eric Denny like this.
  4. gabe0430

gabe0430 Banned or Parked

Orvis also sells the leader/tippet combo backs with 2 leaders and a spool of tippet for a real good price so I have been sticking with them exclusively...good stuff and save a few bucks.

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  5. Eric Denny

Eric Denny Summer is over but I'm still fishing!!

Thanks Richard you have been a ton of help

6. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

Monofilaments are chemical compounds made with different formulations. Some, like Gladyl from the 1960's and Nylorfi from the 1970's were very kink-prone, and once they developed those little pigtails, I could never straighten them out. Maxima Ultragreen and Chamelion have minimal tendency to kink.

7. A.B. Langford

A.B. Langford New Member

If you really like the 5x 6x tippet and you are going to be fishing 10 and bigger hooks then Orvis Super Strong cannot be beat for this application.It will not twist up on you no matter how ugly the fly is tied and if you let your backcast stretch right out then you are in a land of perfection on presentation.

8. wichaka

wichaka Active Member

I use 5X for everything in the 10-14 hook range. For my 2 & 3 wt rods, I tend to go to 6x, but have used the 5x down to size 16 & 18 without any problems.

9. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    +1 on Maxima...Chameleon that is.

10. tkww

tkww Member

Media:
    I do think tippet-to-size ratio is underlooked by most anglers. That said, I try to never go beyond 4x unless I have to. I find that the 4x/5x difference to be really big as far as kinks, knots (mostly getting knots out when they happen), turnover, etc. That isn't to say I that I don't use 5x and 6x. But only when I think I really have to. Some things would be easier on 3x, but I often just stick with 4x.

Big fan of Seaguar for fluorocarbon. Caught my share of spring creek fish on 6x seaguar fluoro. I'm a believer. For mono/nylon I've always had good luck with Umpqua. I almost always tie my own leaders and for most of the larger sections ( >.010) I use Maxima clear.

11. 10incher

10incher Active Member

I buy the small spools of "leader" material in mono. Much better value. Usually Stren original or Trilene XL in clear. I'm not great with knots so I use a back to back double grinner for line to line connections and fluorocarbon is too brittle for this knot. I can tie the other knots (surgeons and blood) and I test, non scientifically, different materials with different knots. So, it's mostly because of my knot MO that I use mono. I love fluorocarbons thin diameter, low stretch and low visibility. It's finicky with certain knots though.

12. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    Sounds to me like your twisting problem might be a combination of casting mechanics and using too-small tippet on too-large fly patterns. Even on Stillwater, where fish can be notoriously leader-shy, I rarely fish anything smaller than 5x, and then only with dries or small nymphs at say size 12 or smaller.

When I fish larger dries, say size 10 or bigger, the smallest I'll use is 4x. With streamers or heavily-weighted nymphs, I prefer 3x. With large streamers on a sinking line, I use a shorter furled leader with 3x or 2x tippet.

Unlike Richard (with whom I've fished a lot), I almost never use 6x. When I do it's only for very small (size 18 or smaller) dries.

K

gabe0430 and Olive bugger like this.
  13. JayH

JayH Member

I prefer the monofilament over the flourocarbon simply because it seems to hold my knots best. 5x and 6x just because it makes me feel like more of an angler if I can land the bigger fish on smaller tippet :)

14. 10incher

10incher Active Member

Huh?!? And I've been using 5x and 6x tippets because the small flies I tie on for little brushy creeks act like they're tied to a stick if I use anything bigger. Isn't playing bigger fish longer on light tippets on purpose sort of irresponsible since it increases post release mortality? I'm not a raving hater or anything, just offering it for consideration.

JayH likes this.
  15. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    4X and 5X are to big for some of the smaller flies that are used. I tried to get some 4X through some size 22 eyes. It wasn't going to happen. And I had to snip the 5X on the slant to thread it through them small eyes.

16. JayH

JayH Member

You may be right. For some reason this conversation reminds me of all the off-road drivers (four wheel drive trails) who see an obstacle in the middle of the trail and think that all they need to do is get big enough tires, apply enough skinny pedal, and keep turning the steering wheel and they'll get by it (with enough time.) And then there's the guy who comes up in his little Jeep with tires half the size, looks at it for a minute, steers into a weird little corner and crawls straight over the thing. One drives with his balls, the other with his brains.

It doesn't seem to me that there's much sport to just powering through everything. Am I being insensitive to the fish and killing some needlessly? Maybe. One thing I know - I'll be considering the question the next time I'm on the river. Thanks.

17. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Media:
    I've never found a need to go smaller than 4x, even on spring creeks where regulars swear you can't catch fish on anything bigger than5x.

18. 10incher

10incher Active Member

I mentioned that I buy spools of "leader" instead of those pitiful, tiny spools of "tippet". IIRC 5X is 4lb. That's what I use on little creeks. The seven to ten inch fish don't stand a chance on four pound test. But... Then there's that occasional 13 or 14 inch surprise. I've never had to play a fish for that long though. I don't have the patience for long fish fights. If it goes past a couple of minutes I worry that the sand papery teeth and underwater root balls and rocks will weaken the tippet too much and I'll likely lose the fish anyway. So I try to get them in fast and sometimes a big one leaves with my fly. My first time fishing Putah Creek in Ca. I managed a tricky cast that got me into what I'll guess as a 20+incher. I was using 5X and the fish was using the fast current seam. I lost that one because I couldn't chase it down river and tried to horse it out of the fast water. It would have been the biggest bow of my life too. Not counting steelies. I might have played that one longer just to catch it if I'd had more wits about me. Wits are often in short supply when your surprised like that. So no hard feelings.

19. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Media:
    Like frog hair. But I'm not too picky.

20. JayH

JayH Member

For everyone who says that their large tippet doesn't scare fish away: How would you know? Maybe you'd catch more with smaller tippet?