Tipping Point

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by miyawaki, Mar 14, 2014.

1. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

The great Skagit River in Washington closed Jan 31 but it could be open through April for the catch and release of some of the largest winter steelhead in the world. Last year we brought favorable attention to the WDFW. This year's wade-in should be the tipping point. Bring a sign and join the party!

Occupy Skagit II - 9AM, March 29, Howard Miller Steelhead Park, Rockport, WA

Leland. Image-7.jpg

2. FinLuver

FinLuver Active Member

Picture this...

"You're in your 20's sittin' at the bar, "makin' time" with the ladies. Out of nowhere, you catch a "hook" to the jaw!! The moment is lost and so are the ladies... you may never recover."

Obviously, there is a reason the river is closed by the WDFW and a "conservation minded" individual would understand this; especially, anyone who advocates for the protection of "wild" fish.

;)

Don Freeman and freestoneangler like this.
  3. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

I look forward to being there and encouraging wdfw to make some useful changes to help Puget sound steelhead. Nice pic by the way Leland.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

4. Hillbilly Redneck

Hillbilly Redneck wishin i was fishin

Media:
    That funky sled looks like the tipping point! :) I plan to be there again this year. I just printed off some flyers and I'll tack them up around town. I know last year at least one business owner was there and also the Darrington based Friends for Public Use.

5. porterHause

porterHause Just call me Jon

Media:
  6. Tool Fly

Tool Fly Member

Your scenario implies fishing over redds. No one here is condoning that.

7. FinLuver

FinLuver Active Member

Not at all Tool Fly...no implication of the sort... as you have "implied"

However, I do suppose there are some who would "jump in the sack" while still at the bar.:)

8. Chris DeLeone

Chris DeLeone Active Member

Media:
    FinLuver
    I wanted to give you a quick history of the Skagit since the CnR closure in 2010.

The Skagit did make escapement in 2013 with a total run size of 8600 wild steelhead and in 2012 with a total run size of 6,185. We also saw 5,655 return in 2011 and 4,113 in 2010 . In 2009 we had a very low escapement of 2,502 and the offspring of those fish are expected to be the major contributor to this years return (2013). Hopefully the returns this year will be significantly above the forecast level. If so that maybe an indicator of improving marine survival conditions and bode well for the future of the wild Skagit Steelhead resource.
    I would like to make it very clear that we at OS are not advocating fishing over low returns - we would like to have a CnR season when numbers return to the escapement levels.
    Because of NOAA's current management plan - they will not open a specific river meeting escapement in Puget Sound, they are advocating a total Puget Sound Recovery - which is great, but if the Skagit has 6,000 to 9,000 fish returning and the Puyallup, Skykomish, Stilly or Green are not meeting escapement - it makes no sense to us that the Skagit should not have a regulated Catch and Release season on it.
    With better marine survival and some of the best freshwater habitat still left in Puget Sound - our hope is that we will see strong returns in 2013 and 2014. So putting in place a basin by basin abundance management plan with WDFW and NOAA - when returns are strong say 2014 and after - it will not be a huge fight with government to open a river meeting escapement. Our goal is to be proactive and have a plan in place when things are good - we are all Steelheader's so being optimistic is in our blood.
    Thanks again for your support and taking the time to understand what we are trying to accomplish here

Chris DeLeone

9. FinLuver

FinLuver Active Member

Thanks Chris.

How many Skagit fish go to other rivers to help seed and diversify the species?

10. Chris DeLeone

Media:
    Fin - Truth be told that number is very low on my priority list, Im sure its more than we think.

11. Hillbilly Redneck

Hillbilly Redneck wishin i was fishin

Media:
    The only Skagit fish that stray are the ones that are caught and released. Once released they get they hell outta dodge. With no catch and release season why would they go slumming anywhere else? ;)

12. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Media:

Your analogy is improperly constructed. Even if he's pulled from his overwintering lie, he'll find the ladies again.

Also, assuming the gubmint "has a good reason" is not always a safe assumption.

In regards to your later question, I think wild steelhead stray rates as a % of the overall population in a basin is low. I have nothing specific I can cite, however.

13. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    The gathering at Rockport is important and I hope as many people that can come up do but the commissioner's meeting in Olympia on April 12 is the real big one. We need the commissioners to see and hear us in person. Last year we got their attention. This year we need to show them we are serious and we are not going away.

14. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

That sound like what happens to the inferior breeders , the wilds never stop trying.. case in point check out Max dales on a friday nite!!!!

15. FinLuver

FinLuver Active Member

Chris,
    "Fin - Truth be told that number is very low on my priority list, Im sure its more than we think. "

What better than to have a "natural gene bank"!!​
    (that is the "catch phrase" being passed around these days...correct?)​

16. Chris DeLeone

Media:
    Correct - I have talked with the Bio for the Skagit a number of times and they almost already have a natural gene bank in that system - soon the Sauk will be categorized as a natural gene bank for Puget Sound.

17. FinLuver

FinLuver Active Member

Chris,

"Correct - I have talked with the Bio for the Skagit a number of times and they almost already have a natural gene bank in that system - soon the Sauk will be categorized as a natural gene bank for Puget Sound. "

Then by all means....let 'em be.
    There's no need to "harass" 'em (I mean fish over 'em)
    Let the PS "heal itself" in its entirety - that is the GOAL - and I'd say we are a long ways off from achieving it.

Don Freeman and freestoneangler like this.
  18. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

Media:
    Out of respect for Chris and what Occupy Skagit is about I have edited my post.

David Dalan likes this.
  19. Tool Fly

Tool Fly Member

I do understand where you're coming from (giving the fish a total "time out" to recover free from any fishing pressure), but the reality is that keeping fishers involved--both with financial contributions in all its forms plus lobbying efforts as seen here--means keeping us on the water. When you lose the fishers you lose the incentive, the momentum, and a great deal of conservation muscle. Tell me how that benefits fish in the long run?

Would the fish be better off with no fishing pressure whatsoever? Perhaps in an absolute sense--and that's true of every fishery everywhere. No doubt fishing adds a layer of "harassment" as you say, and possible injury/mortality. But responsible C&R seems like a balanced win-win given the potential for keeping fishers engaged and active. It has always been hunters and fishers who have pushed for and funded responsible game management, and this is no different.

Access to the resource is the grease that keeps the money--and the protection--flowing. I think that's a far more realistic and positive scenario than your "let 'em alone" blue sky ideal.

jwg and PT like this.
  20. FinLuver

FinLuver Active Member

Chris Bellows

Chris DeLeone said:
    FinLuver​
    I wanted to give you a quick history of the Skagit since the CnR closure in 2010.

psst... trolls don't care about facts.

I see you crawled out from under your rock...it is a nice day outside.
    BTW...did you ever decide if you were the pot or the kettle?