Today's Local News: What happens when a mine has a catastrophic failure into a large river?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jeremy Floyd, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Derek Young

Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Media:
    Home Page:
    Will you drink it?

2. Jmills81

Jmills81 The Dude Abides

Media:
    Red Arch...you wouldnt happen to be a miner by trade, would you?

3. Red Arch

Red Arch Active Member

No. I happen to be a student in environmental sciences who is taking what he has learned and applying it to this instance. The biggest one being not coming to conclusions before you have all the facts.

Actually that might just be common sense.

4. Derek Young

Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Media:
    Home Page:
    At a mining school? Common sense would dictate that you're being misled in your education about "environmental sciences." Unless of course it's a mining school. Are they teaching you adaptive management theory and practices yet? Because now there's a great reason in your backyard.

enlightened likes this.
  5. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Media:
    The only thing I cited as a fact, was the mines own disclosure in their annual report. That was taken directly from one of the links, I think the CBC News one.

Being concerned and trying to prevent this sort of thing from happening again isn't jumping to conclusions.

It is very simply proactive thinking.

Being concerned about anything entering any watershed other than rain or snow melt isn't jumping to conclusions either.

Being as protective of the public resource as I can is a responsibility I share with everyone. People are most certainly free to choose different levels of involvement.

6. Red Arch

Red Arch Active Member

No, in fact the focus is more forestry then anything

My main issue is the general public being "concerned" is more representative of "omg (insert worst case scenario here) is going to happen"

Yes precautionary/preventative measures need to be adopted, they were. A water use ban and a fishing closure were implemented, with sampling after that.

If the people making decisions and sampling panic, mistakes get made. It does no good on either front if the public goes into mass hysteria, as the pressure just mounts and makes their jobs harder.

And yes I would drink that water, considering its only going to dilute as particles go downstream.

7. psycho

psycho Active Member

Would you drink the water 20 feet into where it drains into Quesnel lake?

8. jersey

jersey livin' the dream

Red,
    wow.

9. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Red Arch, formulate your own passive opinion, good on you.
    For heavens sakes, that tailing pond dumped a metric butt ton of waste products into the ecosystem. Not trace amounts like what may naturally occur. Massive quantities...this was not some drunk pissing in the river.

10. Eric Reesor

Eric Reesor Member

The food web of Quesnel Lake is going to be effected for a very long time because of this ecological disaster if there is no staunching of the flow of sediments. They disperse on the gravel beaches and deep crags.

Quesnel Lake is a natural wonder and is 2000 feet deep in places, very little is know about its depths other than there is most likely heavy sediments from hydraulic mining down deep. The whole area was sluiced heavily in starting 1900 by the Consolidated Cariboo Mining Co. They created Polley Lake and Bootjack Lake with dams to send enough water at high head pressure over many miles to hydraulic mine an ancient river channel. This activity sent placer mining sediments with less heavy metal content all the way down the Quesnel River and down the Fraser during the Sockeye and Chinook migrations which almost wiped out the fish runs. They were just starting to recover then this happens. So you can understand why the Natives of the area are getting their back up about this, they know understand our environmental stupidity and have dealt with it constantly for very many years.

The damage from this current assault on the environment could be over a very long period of time. The toxic sediments that disperse into deeper water habitat is going to effect the reproductive capacity of Salvelinus namaycush (Lake Trout) and Salvelinus confluentus (Bull Trout). Which spawn in rock crags deeper than other fish.

It is entirely possible that there will be explosions of Ptychocheilus oregonensis (Northern Pikeminnow) and other course fish that they predate upon. We have already seen almost extinction level reductions of local populations of Bull Trout in other rivers and lakes in BC. and in these places the Northern Pikeminnow populations have exploded because most piscivorous large Rainbow Trout do not predated on them for some reason which is not well understood. But the mature Northern Pikeminnow certainly does predate upon Rainbow Trout and other species fry.

The beach spawning Sockeye and Kokanee will be effected the most but how this will effect the O. mykiss (rainbow) populations is debatable.

BUT because the mature rainbow in Quesnel Lake are very piscivorous and predate largely upon sculpin, sockeye, and kokanee fry, the effects on these river spawners will be not seen as much until they start to starve. Which is what happens in the off years on the Adams Lake and Adams river system when the sockeye run is low. More over the fry populations might also begin to starve if the aquatic insect and other critter populations of the lake are seriously effected.

In short the outlook is very grim for sport fishing and the large food fishery on this system if the habitat is destroyed by this mine dam break.

shotgunner likes this.
  11. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Welcome Eric, thanks for that detailed insight.

12. Rob Zelk

Rob Zelk I swing, therefore i am.

Media:
    I'm so sorry for those who live up there and another beautiful place tainted with toxicity. So sad. I don't know why they aren't required to make all concrete dams instead of these land berms that often end in events like this. Those contaminants are going to be around a long time. I would be worried about all those who live there and well contamination for quite some time, but I'm just a carpenter and have watched Erin Brockovich a couple to many times.

13. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

I find it interesting that the canadians are all up in arms about this contamination, what about the toxic mine waste they have for years dumped into lake roosevelt !

enlightened and triploidjunkie like this.
  14. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

Media:
    Their outsourcing that problem along with the Victoria sewage.

the_chemist likes this.
  15. bennysbuddy

My point exactly they don't seem concerned about shitting in somebody else's nest, But god forbid when the turd hits their ground Oh Boy !!!!

16. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

Media:
    Well lets not too high on our horse. It's not like we haven't sent them some stuff. Acid rain in the NE comes to mind.

17. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Media:
    When I first read this, that was my reaction. The Canadians are just getting a little taste of their own medicine.

18. bennysbuddy

Acid Rain..... I thought that was a street drug !!

19. rustybee

rustybee Active Member

You sir are an idiot...

20. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    We Americans often cite the Mining Act of 1872 as the bane of trashing our resources... anyone know if the Canadians suffer a similar challenge? Sadly, events like these are the result of complete disregard to any collateral damage in the quest for money.