"Top Hooker" new reality fishing show

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Stan Wright, May 7, 2013.

1. Greg Price, Blue and Builder like this.
  2. Never in a million years would of picked that name for a fishing show.... Sounds like it should be on HBO or skin a max...

3. Can't wait to see what it's all about.

4. Such an unfrotunate name....

tythetier likes this.
  5. I'll be honest, the show is a bit gimmicky, but your son Chris is by far my favorite on the program. I love his energy and overall enthusiasm for every fish he catches. I'd fish with him anytime, any day!

enlightened and Randru like this.
  6. Agreed!

7. What a joke for a fishing program.
    I hope Chris is making some good $ for the foolish stuff these folks are doing.
    Just my .02 O.K.

Andrew Lawrence likes this.
  8. Are there ANY good fly fishing shows on anymore? No offence intended to the OP. The shows that were on a couple years back were so caught up in the GLORY of the setting, they'd score it with overly dramatic music and try to make it into some epic saga. It was sickening. I just want to watch a weekly show where maybe a modest host hooks up with friends, maybe cameos by some of you, and goes fishing. Relatively simple photography, simple music, maybe with an edge. Matt Burke, where are you? Surely there's another Larry Schoenborn out there, with a bent on FF. At least a couple episodes could revolve around great causes like Project Healing Waters.

9. I liked "Go Fish" with Fish Fishburn.... it was a hoot!!! The rest I take with a grain of salt. They are entertainment.... some of them have good fishing tips... some of them don't.

"The Fish Whisperer" is the worst! I only watch it in hopes that it will somehow get better. ... so far, my hopes have been dashed.

10. Stan, although I wish your son the best on this show, I've watched portions of it a couple of times and was amazingly unimpressed!

I'm blown away by how far the different networks are going in their "reality" shows! I'd rather tune into my "retro" channel and watch episodes of Ozzie & Harriet or Andy Griffith!

Disclaimer: I do kinda like "River Monsters" even tho' they really sensationalize the fish and fishing.

11. Go Chris!!! At least he put that phony ass"expert flyfisherman" out. Chris handled a fly rod much better than him, and I'm assuming he can attribute that to Stan.

Irafly likes this.
  12. Well "I'll tell ya what" Just buy this whammy jammy for $100.00 and you'll catch a ton of fish, BS, BS, BS.
    It's been years since we have had a good fishing show.
    Advertizing has f--ked good fishing and hunting shows.
    Sorry my rant, I'll shut up and turn the page now.

13. Where is Gadabout Gaddis when you need him.

14. Wasn't he in Field and Stream???

I haven't bought any magazines on fishing in a coons age. There is just not anything in them that is interesting to me anymore.

15. I do no know about that Jim. I only saw him on Saturday morning TV in Detroit at the time. It was my one grand moment. I was not even a fly fisherman at the time and owned no fly fishing equipment.

It WAS a few years ago.

16. I find it hard to relate to most of the fishing shows these days. Growing in Hawaii there were two great fishing shows, Lets Go Fishing and Fishing with Mike Sakamoto. They featured local guys fishing local spots and really helped get me hooked on fishing at a young age.

17. Hey guys,

the problem I see with fly fishing shows is that any good fly fishing show that would have what you guys want is going to be one that essentially gives away honey holes. Anyone of you want to give up your secret spot to be shown on national TV? Just read the fishing reports that get posted here. Most can be distilled down to "I was at a secret stream, using a secret fly and caught a big fish". A show that is based on that kind of info is not going to have much appeal to very many people. If you want RAW fly fishing then youtube is going to be as good as it gets and there are a ton of fun clips of people having good hookups and just having a great time. Maybe if someone was to compile a show based on the best fishing clips on youtube you might in theory have a good fly fishing show.

R.

18. Huh, no one admits to watching "hawg quest"?

It was one of my favorite shows before we shut down our cable when we moved 3 yrs ago.

Ashamed to admit it? Nope. I used to be a very crummy bait fisherman for winter steelhead. This guy always hooks up, so it gives me hope to maybe pick up my old Loomis GL3 and stand waist deep in freezing december water/weather a pray for a steelie.

19. Stan,

I support you and your son. You should be proud to have a boy interested in fishing and on a fishing show. Good on you and good on him.