Touchet River...

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jeff, Nov 13, 2001.

1. Jeff

Jeff Member

Hello all --

I am considering fishing the Touchet in the near future and was wondering how the fishing is. I've read that their are both rainbows and browns in there...anyone have any info on this river?

How's the fishing on average? -- fair, good, great?

Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jeff

2. eastsider

eastsider New Member

Been reading these pages for some time now and finally decided to sign up. I'm from the dry side of the state, but spend a fair amount of time around Gig Harbor chasing searuns - my mother-in-law lives there.

The Touchet is up the road from me and is a fair trout stream. It used to hold some nice brown trout and although there may be a few left, WDFW doesn't stock them anymore. There is some good water to fish in the summer, but it gets hit hard by the bait casters. This year, the low water impacted the fishery.

This time of year, there are a few steelhead starting to show and with the run we've had this year, fishing should be good into the spring. I haven't been out on the river since summer, but should try it soon. Much of the river passes through private land, so it pays to knock on a few doors to ask permission. Most of the folks from that part of the country are pretty nice.