Transmontanus? Feeling Smart?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Big Ben, Feb 4, 2003.

1. Big Ben Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0
    I have to do a paper on the White Sturgeon, Acipenser transmontanus. Transmontanus is Latin for "across the mountain." Does anyone have any information on why that name would be associated with that fish? It just struck me as odd and I would like to add any info to my project, even if its just heresay. Thanks:dunno
  2. alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Hiding in your closet
    Ratings: +74 / 0
    It could be due to the White Sturgeon being found on the west coast, over the Rockies. Other species are found elsewhere.
  3. Preston Active Member

Ratings: +474 / 0
    No real clue, but I would assume that, when the species was first scientifically described, it was done by someone from, or in, the eastern part of the country; hence, "across the mountains" as opposed to the sturgeons that occur in eastern parts. The authority for the name is given as "Richardson" so, if you're really curious you might check out his work.
  4. Big Ben Guest

WOW, that makes sense! Thnks guys!:beer2
  5. Greg Moore New Member

Ellicott City (Baltimore), Md.
  6. Luv2flyfish Another Flyfisherman

Western WA, US.
    One of my Best Friends is a Fisheries Biologist - I will email and ask him what he thinks and post back tomorrow.
  7. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    Ratings: +796 / 1
    Feeling Smartassed?

...because they're long enough to reach across Montana...?

Roper,

Truth above all
  8. LDR New Member

North Bend, WA.
    from Moyle 2002, Inland fishes of CA. transmontanus is "a reference to their wide distribution in the Columbia River system or to their presence west of the continental divide." good luck on the report!
    LDR
  9. Big Ben Guest

I'd appreciate it. thanks

Its a real quandry
  10. jackchinook Member

Winthrop, WA
    Ratings: +12 / 0
    Feeling Smartassed?

check out fishbase.org
    don't know if it has what you're looking for but it has something on every fish you can't think of and pretty much every fish you can't think of too.