Traveling with my tying materials?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Sean Beauchamp, Sep 21, 2013.

  1. I'm gonna be in South America for a couple months for work and wondering if it's practical to bring my vice and enough materials to keep me occupied tying steelhead bugs until I get back? Anyone have any tips? I'd hate to have issues with security.
  2. Just dress like you're from the middle east, and they'll leave you alone.
  3. It may be just me, but if I leave home for more than a few days, I bring at least one travel rod and a tying kit. No matter where I'm at. If I don't, I invariably get stir crazy spotting rare or unique angling opportunities without some form of release. I have no clue where in the continent you'll be, but there has to be something to fish for nearby.
    underachiever and Freestone like this.
  4. binders with full sheet, trading card or photo size sheet protectors work well for organizing and packing away materials.
    I dunno about customs, but as long as its in store bought packs and there's no exotics it shouldn't raise any suspicions. I couldn't imagine being in a place so close to good fishing without a vice and some dead stuff to tie with. That is if you're planning on exploring down there. There's not a place on the continent I wouldn't want to fish. Have a good trip
  5. I think the only thing you have to worry about with your tools is the scissors...they need to be round the ones we had in kindergarten...
  6. Just don't carry it on. As long as you check it, there should be no issues at all.
  7. I'll be working long hours 7 days a week no time for fishing unless I wanna extend out my return ticket at the end of the trip. But I think by then I will just want to be home with my family. I think it'll be fine I will bring a separate bag and just check it all in. Just gotta keep the cleaning ladies at bay.
  8. Just make sure the materials you take are OK with the laws of the government of the country you are going to visit. Otherwise, you could find yourself in trouble for trying to take something into the country that is banned or not allowed to enter that country without the proper certificate.

Share This Page