Tribe Drift Netting Spawning Steelhead on the Hoh?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by JesseC, Apr 4, 2013.

1. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Media:
    Earlier accusations were pretty blunt and ended up causing a lot of folks to be come verbally aggressive. If you feel that you didn't start off with an antagonistic attitude, then I feel you are mistaken.

To quote:

"Yeah I heard about this and it is complete bullshit. If the wdfw won't step up and co manage the resource then maybe its time for us fisherman to do something about the nets being fished out of season. Anyone have a sled and a bunch of bails of hay?"

"I would be surprised if I get a call back from either"

Not exactly polite.

Richard Olmstead likes this.
  2. Jonathan Tachell

Jonathan Tachell Active Member

Media:
    Your right James I did start off angry because of what I heard. Although I thought the source was accurate about what he had been seeing and may still be. However, i decided to do my homework and follow up on my concerns. Which I am glad I did and think my last few posts reflect how I feel about the situation since I first heard of it. I am a fisherman and I should know better than to take another fisherman's word as gospel. Sorry if i ruffled anyone's feathers but i am passionate about our fisheries and i don't want to see them abused by anyone.

Tight Lines James!

Richard Olmstead likes this.
  3. James Mello

Media:
    I didn't take it in any way other than being passionate. It's just we aren't going to have any reasonable influence if we continue to have an antagonistic attitude. There are some tribes where any approach is going to be difficult at best regardless of a good relationship or not. But as an example of good cooperation, look a the Skagit river tribes during the 80's and 90's. Good relationship, good science, good management.

At any rate, the better off we can be with the "new guard" of bios and fish managers, the better things will probably become. There are some tribes where policy is still dictated by a fisheries council that is "old school" and actually ignores the younger bios. But over time, this will change, and if we have a working partnership with the younger guys, the more likely that 15-20 years from now, we'll have a lot more influence and leverage.

Jim Wallace and Jonathan Tachell like this.
  4. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Media:
    Never mind waste of breath goodbye hoh steel

5. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Media:
    I'll take passion over apathy any day.

6. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    shoulda left it up

7. Jim Kerr

Jim Kerr Active Member

Media:
    Looks like some boys got wound up! Good. This year several calls have been made about irregular netting, and when enough calls have been made, we have gotten a response. Sometimes nets being removed from the river by enforcement. If you see a non tribal guy snagging fish, killing nates where he shouldn't, or using a drift net (it happens), you should call enforcement. Its no different for tribal guys. We are co-managers.
    Sport anglers should know that drift nets are being used to harvest native steelhead for sale (on the queets 5 days a week). They should know that these nets are being used where native steelhead are trying to spawn.
    This is legal, but we, as co-managers have a say in how many fish are harvested. And we have a responsibility to make sure everyone is acting honestly and the numbers are correct.
    If it doesn't look right, shoot some film, then ask around, if it seems like its illegal call and send the footage.
    Get real pissed off at anyone taking native fish illegally.
    real fucking pissed.
    Thanks guys

StarhopeLost21, TD, Pat Lat and 7 others like this.
  8. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    "They should know that these nets are being used where native steelhead are trying to spawn.
    This is legal, but we, as co-managers have a say in how many fish are harvested."

THIS IS RIDICULOUS...AND SAYS TO ME THAT WA TRIBES ARE NOT SERIOUS ABOUT PROTECTING ENDANGERED SPECIES. ALSO WHY, AS MUCH AS MANY ON THIS SITE HATES TO HEAR, WE SHOULD TAKE THE LEAD BY BEING WILLING TO CLOSE ALL FISHING ON RIVERS IN ORDER TO GIVE THEM THE BEST ODDS FOR RECOVERY.

THIS IS ALSO WHY I DO NOT SUPPORT THE OCCUPY SKAGIT EFFORT...I BELIEVE IT IS SHORT SIGHTED AND SENDS THE WRONG MESSAGE.

9. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Freestoneangler, remember that the Tribes do not differentiate between wild and hatchery fish. To them they are all the same. They have their hatcheries to keep the runs strong!;):confused::eek:

10. James Mello

Media:
    Hoh fish are not listed. I do believe that the Skagit river tribes haven't put a net in since the closure.

11. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    The Hoh not being listed is also dumb... it will be in time with current practices.

For some, it's all about preaching conservation and saving the planet and species... until it limits their ability to fish or hunt (or reduces traffic and cash for businesses). Like many things in life you cannot have it all.

12. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Media:
    they get half the harvestable surplus and the river is open to fishing so....

they could close the sport fishery, half of nothing is zero

13. James Mello

Media:
    Allocations are not based on our take, but the projected run size. Not having a season just means the tribes fish and we don't

Bob Triggs likes this.
  14. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Media:
    Like James said, it is based on run size and it is kind of like water rights - use it or loose it. If we don't take our half, our unharvested portion becomes available for tribal harvest.​

15. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

Media:
    I believe that has never actually been tested in court. The tribes may indeed win, but we have never pushed the legality of foregone opportunity. Of course, the idea of foregone opportunity was started by us when the tribes did not have the ability to harvest their half after Boldt.

Bob Triggs likes this.
  16. James Mello

Media:
    I sadly learned that this rule does not apply to steelhead. If we do not harvest our steelhead, there is NO legal recourse for us as the forgone opportunity only applied to food fish. :(

Bob Triggs likes this.
  17. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

Best quote ever.

StarhopeLost21 likes this.
  18. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Media:
    I make it rain, make it rain, make it rain on them Hohs....... sorry, couldn't resist.

McNasty likes this.
  19. PT

PT Physhicist

A reliable source told me one of the ceremonial fishers pulled 37 fish this past week.

20. Jonathan Tachell

Jonathan Tachell Active Member

Media:
    I can't say that really surprises me and that really sucks! So much for just ceremonial fishing I guess.