Trout Kryptonite

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by james.jimenez, Jun 16, 2013.

1. james.jimenez Active Member

South Korea
    Ratings: +234 / 0
    A buddy of mine will call it my power bait fly. I will call it "Lake trout Kryptonite". I fish this color of fly as a wholly bugger pattern in local lakes and trout cannot resist it. I wanted to experiment with an articulated pattern today and I am out of wholly buggers. So I compromised with the voices in my head and came up with these. What do you all think. I will be playing with this patter for next couple of days. More natural colors will come as I get comfortable with the pattern. I ill also be adding some eyes to the natural colored flies. More photos to follow. Please let me know what you all think, and if you have some pics of articulated flies please post them. I would like some additional pattern ideas. Thanks everyone

Attached Files:

GAT and Irafly like this.
  2. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1,033 / 1
    This is a color that I have been finding quite amicable to lately.
  3. james.jimenez Active Member

South Korea
    Also for got to add this question to my post.. What is the best material to use to attach my tail to my main hook?? Mono? Wire? What size?
  4. Rob Ast Active Member

West Pugetopolis WA
    Ratings: +230 / 3
    I thought kryptonite repelled/weakened an individual, not attracted them. Use fire wire or Dacron backing to connect your hooks. Wire won't wiggle as much and mono is too slick and likely to pull out.
  5. Upton O Blind hog fisherman

out of state now
    Ratings: +211 / 0
    I like the name, it resonates power over a super hero which I think all fish are.
  6. Jeff Dodd Active Member

Langley, WA
    Ratings: +349 / 0
    I like it. I fish this color in winter and have done well with it in western Washington lakes. I use a simple rabbit fur tail to match the body color. Red thread head. Quick to tie and catches fish.

Must have good contrast and visibility because I know it doesn't represent a food source ;-)

When I tie in a trailing hook I use fire wire also.

Jeff

Oh yea... I like your name. Mine is dubbed the Green Manalishi.... ala Judas priest!
  7. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,561 / 0
    Fire Wire, size to hook size. Actually, you can also use stainless steel mechanics wire in the fine size but don't tell anyone sold on using Fire Wire. :)
  8. tkww Member

WA
    Ratings: +66 / 2
    You can also use Beadalon.
  9. Paul Huston Swinger

WalkingSpeedWater, Yelm Washington
    Ratings: +20 / 0
    I've got a couple different lines I'll bring in on Tuesday for you to try out.
  10. james.jimenez Active Member

South Korea
    Same type of fly but with mono eyes.. These eyes are harder to create than they look.. Burnt the crap out of my figures a couple of times. I need to work on them a little more..

Attached Files:

11. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1,033 / 1
    If these are harder to create than they look, than they must be really tough. I like them.
  12. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +960 / 1
    I clip the mono to a tad longer than the finished length, hold it in fly tying pliers and touch both ends with a cigarette lighter. Unless the mono really melts and drips on me I don't get burned.
  13. Chad Lewis NEVER wonder what to do with your free time

TriCities, WA
    Ratings: +152 / 0
    Tweezers are your friend.....
  14. james.jimenez Active Member

South Korea
    I used something to hold the mono while I burned it but I just couldn't get the eyes to fully form. And when I did think I has a good set I would touch the dumb things on accident or they would become lopsided and my bug would have a lazy eye.. Not sure if the fish inspect this feature of there food but I really want to have good flies..
  15. Gary Knowels Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +393 / 0
    I thought powerbait type flies where supposed to have lazy eyes.
  16. Chad Lewis NEVER wonder what to do with your free time

TriCities, WA
    Ratings: +152 / 0
    Pro Tip: Use the bottom of the flame to melt the mono. It won't blacken the melted mono with soot and it's cooler, so easier to control the results. If you're gonna do a lot at once just light a candle.
    Russ Kendall likes this.