Trout Streams

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by weirdwindknot, Feb 25, 2012.

1. weirdwindknot

weirdwindknot New Member

Since its been the season of the blown out rivers and bad weather, I've put myself to scouting potential fisheries and trying to find great trout streams (mountain streams, flat land style eastern Washington streams, secret spots, etc.). If anyone has any suggestions for good spots to hit up once the weather and water temps start heating up a bit, I would love to hear about them. If you dont feel like giving up your secret fishing oasis, don't (although I wouldn't mind a private message about general areas). I live in Seattle, so fisheries around western Washington would be best, while other suggestions would be much appreciated and I'm sure would help some other Washington fly fishers in their search for great trout water.

Thanks in advance for the time and recommendations.

2. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Get yourself a good map of Washington State. Also get a copy of the regs when they come out in May or is that April. Now all you have to do is look for all the squiggly blue lines. Check the regs to see if they are open. Most Squiggly blue lines open up on the first Saturday in June. But if you want a trout fix you can fish the Forks of the Snoqulamie as they are open year around.

3. weirdwindknot

weirdwindknot New Member

How does one know if these streams are holding trout?

4. Derek Young

Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Good question. How does one know they don't?

rory likes this.
  5. Krusty

Krusty Active Member

It's your job to find out!

6. Hey man welcome to the board. Like it was mentioned above grab the regs and maybe look into some books on fishing Washington. Then search these books and regs for streams in your area and then use the search function in the top right hand corner. Most people are happy to share info on the well known streams such as the Yak, Ford etc. However just asking where the fish are isn't going to get you a lot of help. Many people on this board have put in years of driving, bush waking and wading across the entire state in search of the type of water you just described. The last thing they want to do is tell you where their spot is so that the 1,000s of people who creep on this board show up and start fishing their favorite secluded water. Spend your time searching for some streams in your area and then maybe ask some more specific questions and perhaps ask people to PM you.

I find it more rewarding to put in the time and have the days of frustration and perseverance pay off when you finally figure out a fishery with out being told to "fish this stretch, cast here, use this fly, this line etc...". Anyway best of luck to you and once again welcome to the board.

-Connor

7. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

What Connor said.

The exploring and bushwacking is half the fun.

8. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

Many of the reply's are spot on. If your going to limit yourself to rivers for trout good luck - meaning most of the largest trout are caught in lakes.

When I would travel I would get to a knew state and would go straight to the special regs section, looking for waters for catch and release and only one trout over twenty inches if it wasen't completely catch and release. this narrows it down pretty good for where to start. you might also try giving something before asking for everything! I'm fairly knew on this site, but I did a write-up on crane prairie res. in oregon right off sharing everything I knew about the res. where to find maps for the lake. what highway it was off and all about the camping and even what I knew about the stocking programs, best times of year, which hatches were present, what ramps to use and much more before ever asking for anything! I've still been flamed on here for being a smart mouth but I deserved! It seems like anything - you will get as much back as you put into it. oh "wait" this is the "internet" era! sorry - how could I be so cold.

dryflylarry likes this.
  9. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

In general, almost any stream that has water flow year-round and is at 1,000 feet elevation or higher in WA State will have trout. Some lowland streams will also have trout, but they are more hit or miss because many of those will get too warm in summer. So with the advice above related to maps and regulations, and my addition to that here, you have enough of a start to find trout. But you'll likely need to wait until June or later for most waters due to the aforementioned regulations and needing to wait for spring run-off to settle local streams into low summer flows.

10. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

Lake Washington has fish in it, but it is not a river.

Welcome to the forum.

The Old man has a good suggestion.

11. Go Fish

Go Fish Language, its a virus

To me it is not about which rivers and creeks
    have trout but which one have large fish.

Those waters are here but.....they are a long
    drive followed by a long difficult hike.
    From Seattle do the Yak.

dK

12. scottflycst

scottflycst Active Member

Some of the most unique moving waters are found along the beaches...sometimes it comes, sometimes it goes.
    The trout are there, no squiggley lines.

13. RoyS

RoyS Member

Put on your waders, tie on a fly and cast it in the water... If you feel a tug there are fish in the stream.

14. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

All Skinny water has fish in them. But some have just small fish, As you will probably find out if you go fish them.

I've spent countless amounts of money and time to find many fishing places. But I put in the time as you should. It's hard to part with all.

15. 1morecast

1morecast Active Member

16. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

Welcome aboard mate.
    Get yourself a #2 or #3 wt rod and even the little fish can feel big.
    Some of my favorite waters produce only little fish, a big one might be 10".

17. Bad-Daddio

Bad-Daddio Member

Truly a man after my own heart - This is still my favorite kind of fly fishing. Hiking in the headwaters with a 2-3 wt, nobody else in sight, just exploring and seeing if there are any fish. Some of my fondest fly fishing memories are these kinds of days.

18. Darryl Pahl

Darryl Pahl Active Member

If you are into walking/biking, and live in Seattle, you might want to bike the Cedar River trail down in Renton. There are numerous streets, parks, and pull-outs in Renton and along the Maple Valley Highway where you can park you car and either bike or walk the trail, which for the most part is within sight of the river. The trail continues all the way to the Cedar River Watershed at Landsburg Road.

Various state and non-profit organizations have put some effort into trout habitat on the Cedar - in terms of secret spots, just look for obvious trails off through the blackberries. The water is really high right now, but there's lots of pretty obvious water that hold fish. It's definitely an urban fishery, but with minimal walking/wading/bush-wacking you can get away from the float, swim and beer crowd.

Walking/biking the Cedar River trail itself is a quite nice way to spend an afternoon scouting the river. It really changes year to year as logjams come and go - I'm looking forward to fishing it come June.

19. Kevin J. Burnham

Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

Just PM Jim !! He will tell ya where to go !!

dryflylarry likes this.
  20. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

"I've put myself to scouting potential fisheries"-----------

We'll...... There ya go!!!