Truck Biology in Bellevue

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Chromer, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Chromer Defeat terrorism

Newcastle, WA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    The Muckleshoots are trucking excess Issaquah Creek coho to Kelsey Creek today. They may be doing the same for Coal Creek. The unload area is behind the southe.rn most barn
  2. Nicolas Eckhardt Member

Seattle
    Ratings: +11 / 0
    The City of Bellevue recently completed a restoration project on Kelsey Creek upstream of the park in the golf course. The coho should have some nice spawning and rearing habitat available to them.
  3. fixj Member

Bellevue, WA
  4. fixj Member

Bellevue, WA
    The Kelsey Creek project at Glendale CC took approx. 4 months to return the stream to a more natural flow, free of barriers (beaver dams). Currently low lying shrubs are being added stream side to keep summer water temps cool.
    The result looks great and fish have been sighted.
  5. Nicolas Eckhardt Member

Seattle
    Yeah I lead the crew that did the fish removal for the project prior to instream water work. There are quite a few fish in that creek. The contractor did a good job eliminating the weir barriers by re-grading the approach and adding LWD. Glad to hear that shrubs are being added. That will keep the temperatures down and the knotweed at bay. It is great that fish have been sighted already.
  6. Nicolas Eckhardt Member

Seattle
    Sorry for the multiple posts (now removed by Taxon). I kept getting a server error of it timing out so I would re-try. I guess it was able to successfully upload my post. Oops.
  7. Patrick Allen Active Member

Bothell,WA
    Ratings: +176 / 0
    I am all for habitat reform but does it do much good if there will be a massive amount of chemicals from the Golf course flushed into the creek. Just a thought!
    yellowlab likes this.
  8. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,670 / 0
    There is a delete on each post. Maybe you could delete two of them. If not ask a mod to
  9. Nicolas Eckhardt Member

Seattle
    Kelsey creek is a highly urbanized watershed. It is receiving pollutants from various sources, such as road run off from the many impervious surfaces surrounding it. It is an issue that impacts all urbanized watersheds and one that is not easily solved. Coho tend to be more sensitive to road run off pollution than other species. Also the creek is flashy when it rains, once again due to a high rate of impervious surface within the watershed. That does not help any deposited eggs. From experience though, there are a lot of fish in that creek within the restoration area. I suspect other areas also have abundant amounts of fish. Cutthroat seem to do well.
  10. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,262 / 1
    I wonder how good it is for the native fish populations of those small streams?I understand the nutrient load those hatchery fish may provide. I just wonder what the less desirable effects are of dumping out of system fish into them?
    SF
  11. fixj Member

Bellevue, WA
    83 Coho counted this morning in Kelsey Creek within Glendale CC.
    BTW... Golf courses today are held to high standards that protect the natural habitat. Glendale is an Audubon Certified golf facility.
  12. golfman44 Coho Queen

Kirkland
    Ratings: +1,006 / 0
    That little stream holds coho? Wow. Thats awesome. They come in from lake WA?

I always hated that course wish I paid more attention to the water
  13. speyguy72 New Member

sammamish wa
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    The golf courses are actually good for the environment. They absorb rainfall that recharges streams and aquifers - much more than the water used to irrigate them. It is a lot better to have 150 acres of grassy swales where the water goes down than 150 acres of homes with roofs and driveways that discharge rainfall to storm systems where it never gets backs to aquifers or smaller streams.

They also use a lot less fertilizer and pesticide per square foot than the average lawn - a lot less. The fertilizers and pesticides are expensive. Golf course maintenance people are highly trained in their usage, much more so than the average homeowner.