Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

trying to learn about various hatches, insects, flies.

659 views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Bob Triggs 
#1 ·
I'm working on my different hatches and insects. I am learning alot from all of you and different sources from people from work and local fishermen.
I wanted to ask about different books that would help me learn the insect stages, fish diets, etc. I know that theres alot of books on the market but i thought asking this to a big group I could narrow it down before spending thousands on books. My fishing is not too bad, but wanted to take it to the next level.
Any good books you want to share or information would be a great help.
I appreciate everybodies help in the past year. My flyfishing wouldnt be as sharp as it is without the help of this website and the members, thanks.

CADDISACTION :THUMBSUP

#4 ·
IMHO, two "must have" books for any freshwater fly fisher's library are by Gary Borger. The first is titled "NATURALS: A GUIDE TO FOOD ORGANISMS OF THE TROUT" and the second is titled "PRESENTATION." As a biologist and fly fisher, he presents a wealth of knowledge in these two works. You should be able to find both at amazon.com or maybe even your local fly shop.

If you're looking for more of a "field guide" to insect identification, "MATCHING THE HATCH" by Ernest Schwiebert is awesome. Should be able to find this, too, at either amazon.com or your local fly shop.

Greg

#5 ·
If I could only buy one insect book it would be Dave Hughes Western Streamside Guide (1998, Frank Amato Publications). This little book discusses the 21 major western hatches on western lakes and rivers. The book talks about hatches according to their calendar emergence (midges, Callibaetis and March Browns at the front, Green Drakes and damselflies in the middle, Tricos and October Caddis at the back and so on). The book talks about each insect's life cycle and discusses how to imitate the nymph, dun and spinner. Lots of pictures, lots of fly patterns and lots of advice on how to fish.

#7 ·
A great book! Take a day with the book, head to a few streams, turn over some rocks and add the real-time to what you see in the book, understand why bugs live where they live and why, understand the life cycle as well, add all of this to the book and your understanding of bugs will jump through the roof. As well, your tying will improve. I have a small speciman jar with just about every bug in the west on my tying desk (100's of these little jars)get these at ANY medical supply store and refer to them when you tie. Have fun too! The only problem is now I spend as much time "Bug Hunting" as I do fishing!

SAK
Xstream :THUMBSUP

#8 ·
Try Al Caucci and Bob Nastasi's "Hatches II", might be by Lyons Press- it's the epic tome on fishing entomology regarding mayflies. An extroadinary work, lots relevant to the west. The work they did rewrote acquatic entomological work worldwide- they discovered several species. Also, Gary laFontaine's books, especially "Caddisflies", which stands alone as a major work on tricoptera of all areas in north america.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.