turbidity

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by KerryS, Aug 5, 2014.

1. The more that I look at the recent turbidity levels on the Sauk the more I'm convinced that we have seen some major retreat of the Glacier Peak Glaciers (something that has been occurring since the late 1970s (after a 3 decade period of glacier growth). Of concern for potential fall fishing is that the recent flows seem to be strongly influenced by rain showers. If this is the case we may be in for a difficult time until the exposed tilts are covered with winter snow. The lower end of the Chocolate Glacier is at above 6,000 feet elevation so don't expect significant winter snow coverage until mid-October to mid-November. Until rainstorms or warm periods are likely to produce turbidity spikes

We may be seeing something similar to what occurred in the late 1980s (especially the droughts of '87 and '88). In those years did not see improvement in the turbidities until early to mid-September. Once the river cleared in the fall of 1988 we got lucky and had a dry cool fall that lasted well into October which provided some excellent cutthroat fishing. Of course the fishing was enhanced by light pressure.

The fall cutthroat fishing on our "S" rivers is one of the highlights on my fishing calendar so I'm rooting for an "Indian summer" otherwise our "season" maybe one of limited opportunities. I'll be watching the weather forecasts and river gauges closely for the next couple months. This is nothing new for the Skagit over the last thirty years I have seen my "cutthroat season" range from less than 10 days to as much as 6 months.

Curt

2. Fortunately, the fall of the year offers plenty of "plan B" options.

3. When did they come up with this Turbidity to go on the flow charts. Is this something new ??

4. Curt, do an image search on the internet for Chocolate Glacier. There are some great shots showing the retreat of the glacier over the last 40 or more years.

5. Driving back from a rock climbing trip with my girlfriend about a week and a half ago, I decided to take 530. I was pretty tired from the 3am start, so I wasn't paying attention to the surroundings. As we're passing over the Bridge, my girlfriend says "ooooooh look at that water." I finally took a real look at the water and said aloud "Holy Sh**!!!" If the turbidity levels of that day (Aug. 2) elicited that kind of response, I can't even imagine what the 5th would have looked like. At the time, I figured it was some sort of landslide and was grateful it was at least up a remote river like the Suiattle.

It felt a little like deja vu. Earlier this year, on March 22, it was a bit after 11AM when my girlfriend asked me, isn't that river usually bigger? I looked over at the NF Stilly and said "Holy Sh**!!" but kept driving. Didn't see anything out of the ordinary, including first responders, on 530 before we turned off to go to the lake we were going to fish.

Before I figured out that the source of the turbidity was the Suiattle, I was a little nervous we would again get home and find out we were witnessing the evidence of a tragedy.

6. I'm interested in it also. But could you narrow it down a little. I punched Chocolate Glacier and I got more than I bargained for.

7. Kerry -
    I had done similar searches and I agree interesting stuff.

OMJ -
    You might try Chocolate Glacier retreat.

Curt

8. Quite interesting. Thank youse guys