Two Handed Overhead Casting

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by jwg, Jul 21, 2013.

1. completed a 6wt switch rod recently, Batson/Rainshadow 10'8".

In another post the use of switch rods for saltwater casting was discussed and some posters recommended two handed overhead casting rather than two handed spey casting.

With pinks in mind, I gave this a try in the back yard with a shooting head line, Airflow 40+ expert, floating 6 wt. Loads the rod fine.

but immediately the two handed casting method raised questions about line handling. Usually one hand is holding the line. I guess single or double hauling is out of the question.

I could control the line OK with my upper hand, holding it tight to the cork or releasing to let line out on false cast or for the final cast.

With the shooting head line, I was unsure if I should let the head all the way out of the rod when false casting or shoot with the line head just inside the rod guides.

I get that alot of false casting is discouraged with shooting head lines.

Thats what I think I understand.

Advice is welcomed.

In the past I have fished pinks with a 7 wt 9'6" Rainshadow rod, shooting head clear intermediate (Airflo 40+ 6wt). Some catches were just at the limit of my casting as I tiptoed out as far as I could go in my waders. I hope to cast longer distances with my 10'8" Switch rod.

Jay

2. I don`t overhead cast with a two hander , but I`ve seen others do it , and most of those people were using stripping baskets to help manage the line .

3. I have a buddy here that used to overhead his Loop Yellow 14' 4 piece Spey rod. I heard a snap one time on the main Stilly he ended up with a 6 piece rod. He also did it with another Spey rod. It's rough on those Spey rods when you have most of your line out and your overheading it.

4. Though the equipment is geared towards stripers, this might help you.

5. I like to Waggle or roll cast out the head, pin the running line to the cork the with the anticipated amount to shoot in the stripping basket or around my feet, basket preferred, Water haul to the rear launch at a high horizon point and watch the stripping basket quickly empty of running wine. I stripped in quickly all the way to the line tip. Some takes happen right at the tip!

6. Thanks for sharing the good advice and video!
    Jay

7. JWG - I am in the instructional loop in skiing and kayaking, and small tweaks in a system can yield huge results.

Have you thought about spending a few hours with a top level certified casting instructor? You might find that a small change in timing or positioning might yield huge results. Someone who really geeks out on technique, can give you some drills to hone your area of opportunity and does video analysis with you would be the ticket.

Understand that I am not insinuating that you don't know what you are doing. I have been skiing and paddling for multiple decades and between the two I probably receive about 50 - 60 hours of higher level clinics and video analysis per year, and I always improve from it. The more efficiently we can execute a motion the less physical energy we use and the more enjoyment we get from it.

Stonefish likes this.