U.S. Presidents

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by bennysbuddy, May 31, 2014.

1. NCL

NCL Active Member

I read an article a few months back about Carter fly fishing for Taimen in Mongolia.

2. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

Agreed. You'll often hear how ineffectual he was while in office. Certainly he had a tough congress to work with. While he wasn't one of the greatest P's in history, one thing he did do (IMO) was to bring integrity back to the House.

3. South Fork

South Fork Active Member

If you go to there #2's Cheney is an excellent flyfisherman. Can't shoot for crap, but can throw a bunch of line. I have seen him fish first hand and he can get it done.

4. 2506

2506 Active Member

My dad guided Jimmy Carter into a few steelhead back in the 80s in Oregon. If I can find the photo, I'll post it.

5. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Eisenhower was a guest often enough at the Moise Salmon Club that one of the bedrooms is known as the "Eisenhower" room. Jimmy Green said he stayed there when he was a guest of Mr. Olin of Olin-Winchester. He also said it was stocked like a tackle shop. Another one of the perks of being a celebrity or high falutin' politician, invitations to fish private water that money alone can't buy.

6. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

That's the plain and simple truth,being famous gets you into the good spots for sure. Being good looking only gets you so far I have discovered!

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  7. lylelovett666

lylelovett666 Active Member

I believe Calvin Coolidge was an avid fly guy. Also responsible for one of the greatest presidential quips.His wife, Grace Goodhue Coolidge, recounted that a young woman sitting next to Coolidge at a dinner party confided to him she had bet she could get at least three words of conversation from him. Without looking at her he quietly retorted, "You lose."

8. ribka

ribka Active Member

So people that fish with conventional gear(spin, cast, center pin, hand line...) are intellectually inferior to you? I fly fish along with a lot of gear guys and many are very knowledgeable fisherman I fact in over forty five years of fishing around the world the most knowledgeable guys I have fished with used both fly and conventional gear.

I used to fish quite a bit for blues and stripers in Maine and I saw both Bushes using both conventional and fly gear. Both seemed liked they knew what they were doing when casting.
    Might want to lower your elitist standards and fish along side someone using gear.

9. kmudgn

kmudgn Member

Yes, people who dunk worms or pull spoons are inferior to me. If you dont like it, too bad!

10. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

Since I fly fish ,I guess that I would qualify as a presidential candidate.I may run on the flyfisher platform next election!